Canon DSLR USB port and GPS - page 2 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Canon DSLR USB port and GPS

• 20 Replies
Re: Canon DSLR USB port and GPS
« Reply #10 on: 20 / August / 2011, 03:43:45 »
Advertisements
See
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/GPS.html

in 550d, we have also dcsGPSReceiveCBR.
based on the name, it is called when GPS data are received.
maybe we can call the registered function with the right data...

Indy

Offline 0xAF

• 0xAF
« Reply #11 on: 20 / August / 2011, 08:15:42 »
hm, then you're lucky ;) i cannot find anything "gps" related in 400d
// AF

« Reply #12 on: 20 / August / 2011, 10:44:38 »
GPS can be connected to high-end Canon cameras using WFT accessories like
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/consumer_cameras_wft/wireless_transmitter_wft_e5a#Specifications
WFT are now almost useless with eye-fi...

but DSLR embedded usb hardware must be host-compatible, or "USB on the go', like recent Android phones like Samsung Galaxy II or Xoom tablet, see http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1202082

Indy

Offline 0xAF

• 0xAF
« Reply #13 on: 20 / August / 2011, 10:57:12 »
yes, i've got that. unfortunately no gps wft for 400d ;( or the firmware does not know of one...

about the xda link, looks very interesting and promising (since i have acer iconia a500), thanks a lot ! ;)
// AF

« Reply #14 on: 10 / September / 2011, 11:51:30 »
Hi guys,

When I start this thread, my idea was building a device with a small gps module and a microcontroler that will talk with the dslr through a USB Host interface.

For me this part is not a big deal, however, from the camera side there will be some mechanism that need to ask for gps coordinates through the usb port whenever a photo is taken.

This software part, I'm hopping that some magic lantern guru can help.

Mean while, I'm waiting for some hardware to arrive.

Regards.

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #15 on: 10 / September / 2011, 13:59:32 »
I guess the simplest solution is to get an EyeFi card with geotagging (it's not GPS, but I guess it will do the job).

We don't know yet how to modify EXIF info (only the copyright string).

Offline 0xAF

• 0xAF
« Reply #16 on: 10 / September / 2011, 15:45:25 »
if WFT protocol (i do not know if it is different from PTP) can be used, then your device should work on any camera supporting the WFT.
if not, then it can be done with the PTP extensions i guess (but it will work only on the hacked cameras)... your device can tell the camera the coordinates every second (5seconds)... but it will need more work on the camera side, to get the code between the taking of the photo and writing it to the storage. there could be another way to save to coordinates in the photo of course...

what MCU are you going to use ?
how do you plan to implement the usb host/otg ?

if it's not working as WFT device, and you use the PTP extensions, and the ML guys get it to work... i think i will search for the PTP extensions in the 400d too...

@alex: how do the eyefi get the coordinates ?
« Last Edit: 10 / September / 2011, 15:48:02 by 0xAF »
// AF

Offline a1ex

• ML dev
« Reply #17 on: 10 / September / 2011, 16:39:43 »
From what I understand from their site... they guess this from the location of the hotspot you use.

« Reply #18 on: 10 / September / 2011, 17:16:53 »
@0xAF

About the MCU, I'm thinking of some AT Tiny, but for start I will use an Arduino.
The USB Host will be done using this device:
http://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-for-arduino-pro-mini/

« Reply #19 on: 07 / January / 2012, 11:37:12 »
Since there are wifi modules, like the WFT-E4 module for the EOS 5D, that means the connection interface is either a USB Host itself, or there is a translator/converter in the module.  Anybody have a pinout as to where those signals go?