Newbie with problems - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Newbie with problems

• 4 Replies
Newbie with problems
« on: 13 / June / 2011, 15:25:28 »
Advertisements
I've been having a go at using CHDK for my SX10 and have problems.   Can anyone help ?

When I open Cardtricks, I get a warning from Comodo firewall saying it contains malicious software trojware.win32.pkdklone~d3@1.  I've just told it to ignore it once.

I then used Cardtricks to install the software on a 4Gb SD card.  I had a warning saying I should not use a card greater than 2Gb, but as I had seen on the "about" tab for Cardtricks that it would work on cards < 4Gbs and a 4Gb card is actually less than 4Gb I carried on.

I carried out the instructions in the CHDK Installation Guide and it went well until I put the locked card into the camera.

Then I had the splash sceen and could enter the CHDK menus after pressing the print button.

The problem arose when I exited the menu and then I had "no image" showing on the lcd screen and could not get the camera to return to the normal function of taking a photograph.

I've just reformatted the card in the camera and everything has now returned to normal - but without CHDk.   I can't think what I've done incorrectly.

Finding the firmware version and getting the appropriate complete CHDK zip file was not a problem.

Robert.

Offline reyalp

Re: Newbie with problems
« Reply #1 on: 13 / June / 2011, 15:57:43 »
It sounds like the camera is starting in play mode. This is normal with CHDK, because the information on which button you started the camera with is lost by the time CHDK loads. Just press the shutter to switch to picture taking mode. On most ports, you can also hold down the power button for a little longer to start in record mode.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 13 / June / 2011, 17:01:53 »
Thank you.   I'll try that tomorrow - I'll have to reload the card with the CHDK files before I will be ready to have another go.

« Reply #3 on: 14 / June / 2011, 16:22:34 »
That worked fine, thank you and I can now use the CHDK menus.

I was rather disappointed to find that the CHDK RAW .CR2 was not the same as the one made in the EOS camera range and Lightroom would not recognise it.   I've read all the forum comments about it - just disappointed !

I'll see what other of the many features I might use though.

Thanks again.

Robert.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 14 / June / 2011, 17:06:51 »
I would suggest using DNG.

CHDK RAW is just a dump of the camera sensor, it has no relation to the actual Canon CR2 / CRW file formats (which are tiff variants) The the CRW/CR2 extensions are used only because this makes some interactions with the Canon firmware more convenient.
Don't forget what the H stands for.