Should anyone, who modified CHDK sources, publish them? - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

Should anyone, who modified CHDK sources, publish them?

• 29 Replies
« Reply #10 on: 27 / February / 2008, 05:32:43 »
Advertisements
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:49:01 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #11 on: 27 / February / 2008, 08:37:55 »
So, until we hear from those whose hard work and code that Microfunguy is now using as his own, the ban stays (from my POV anyway).

David said that he would be happy to answer your comments, but he can't since he is banned. Would you be so kind and let him speak first? I think he has a suggestion you would like to hear.

And now my PERSONAL opinion: are there any rules when the member can be banned? I would be glad if they would be published, since it can happen that I would be banned just because I said something wrong?

I also helped David in creating SDM but I don't have source code. I would understand if you or any other moderator banned David if he would sell his FW. However, he still lets all (not only stereo) users using his "exe" code! This created "revolution" in stereo community. He took something and he gave very much to our community - and he gave much more than some other members of this Forum. Personally I don't like zillion of different releases from some other developers. It creates confusion. Note that this is my personal opinion and not David's (rather ban me than him :-) ).

And some concluding words: David can still use all new releases even though he is banned. By banning him you just cut off possible new ideas, suggestions, solutions. I think this is not good for the future of this Forum.

« Reply #12 on: 27 / February / 2008, 11:05:51 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:49:21 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #13 on: 27 / February / 2008, 11:12:32 »
Barney Fife,

Group members will have found your recent outburst very revealing, very disturbing and factually incorrect.

It can only harm your credibility.

Even though I deserve it, I know there is no point in requesting a public apology.

The source code of last build should be available on the website tomorrow.

I hope there are no further such outbursts in the future.

« Reply #14 on: 27 / February / 2008, 11:18:28 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 12:49:41 by Barney Fife »

« Reply #15 on: 27 / February / 2008, 11:33:49 »
I have nothing to apologise for  ... certainly not to politically-correct west-coast Americans.

You are a disgrace.

Learn to behave.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #16 on: 27 / February / 2008, 12:50:00 »
CHDK Developer.

Re: Should anyone, who modified CHDK sources, publish them?
« Reply #17 on: 27 / February / 2008, 14:00:48 »
I have nothing to apologise for  ... certainly not to politically-correct west-coast Americans.

You are a disgrace.

Learn to behave.

If the code is GPL then, regardless of your personal feelings, if you publish a binary you MUST publish the source to go with it. You don't have to post your source if you keep your mods to yourself, but by posting them publically you have entered into a state of obligation.

« Reply #18 on: 27 / February / 2008, 14:30:58 »
ADMIN COMMENT

This is a warning to everyone who is an active part of the discussion, so please read on.

RULE: When problems come up the community discusses the way to solve it. Exclusion is not the way, only on extreme matters. This is far from extreme.

On topic: GPL was created for a reason, and I am not the one that will allow any breaking of it's rules. So, here's the deal:

@Microfunguy: You actually don't need to apologize for the source code issue. You need only to do two things:
1) Remove from the board any od your work for which you do not want to post the source code,
2) take back the "You are a disgrace." comment. This has always been here: Welcome to the CHDK forum! [and RULES]

@Barney Fife: Chill. You are right on what you say, but this is not the way to solve it. Period. You even pressed again after he stated he would straight things out. Come ooon!!!

@Moderators: Please check back if my request was not complied by Microfunguy, until tomorrow.

EDIT: I am trusting Microfunguy on addressing this situation, so I think  it will be resolved.

« Last Edit: 27 / February / 2008, 14:36:27 by acseven »

« Reply #19 on: 27 / February / 2008, 14:39:28 »
if you publish a binary you MUST publish the source to go with it.
by posting them publically you have entered into a state of obligation.

I have no problem with the enforcement of the GPL licence conditions.

Despite  comments to the contrary, my sole motive is to avoid chaos.

My obligation will therefore only be to my version.

No queries regarding other versions will be responded to either personally or allowed on the SDM forum.

David