Should anyone, who modified CHDK sources, publish them? - page 3 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Should anyone, who modified CHDK sources, publish them?

• 29 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Should anyone, who modified CHDK sources, publish them?
« Reply #20 on: 27 / February / 2008, 14:43:34 »
Advertisements
well i suppose we always can disassemble his FW in IDA Pro ;)

on topic: i really hope microfunguy will continue his work on SDM, while also publishing his sources once in a while. as already stated in the thread, i dont really think that publishing the source will confuse people.
i have a dream: that one day our children will have canon cameras that have firmwares enhanced by ALL of CHDKs features, like a super-build or sort of. Chill. :D

btw microfunguy, think of the benefits: maybe more 3d afficionados with excellent skills in C programming will join you and your group, and with the source at hand, they can be of much better help than just "feature requests" or something.
« Last Edit: 27 / February / 2008, 14:45:45 by PhyrePhoX »

« Reply #21 on: 27 / February / 2008, 14:45:41 »
  In accordance with the Group rules, I retract "You are a disgrace" from my post.

« Reply #22 on: 27 / February / 2008, 14:55:40 »
Despite  comments to the contrary, my sole motive is to avoid chaos.

Nice.

lemme get back to work now ;)

stay cool and keep the positive upbeat
« Last Edit: 27 / February / 2008, 14:57:13 by acseven »

« Reply #23 on: 27 / February / 2008, 16:16:16 »
Despite  comments to the contrary, my sole motive is to avoid chaos.
My suggestion is:
Write a short text where you explain that point and place it right next to the link for downloading the source code. I think people will respect that. And if one implements a cool feature for stereo, he can contact you to integrate it in your "offical" release.

i have a dream: that one day our children will have canon cameras that have firmwares enhanced by ALL of CHDKs features, like a super-build or sort of. Chill. :D
Well, I don't agree. My dream would be having a Paket Management System. Each paket would represent one feature of CHDK. Then we need a piece of software on the PC where users can click together their personal build. Just like you do it when installing Linux. Everyone chooses only the packages they need.

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #24 on: 01 / March / 2008, 03:40:29 »
I think we should behave a bit more friendly, I mean nobody would just talk like that in real life,
so why on the net?

But anyway I like spocket's suggestion.
I also understand the part of Microfunguy's opinion, I wouldn't like SDM features mixed up with other builds,
but as spocket describes it that sure wouldn't be a problem.

I have to say that I'm not really neutral in this topic, as I like the Idea behind opensource and GPL.
So I'll share any results on my ixus30_tries with souce, because then I can get every new feature without having
to compile it myself, of course I "risk" that everybody will lough about my coding style, but that's equal for me,
I can tell that one then: Take the source and correct it.

Bye.

« Reply #25 on: 22 / April / 2008, 12:48:07 »
Deleted
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

ASalina

« Reply #26 on: 23 / April / 2008, 03:03:39 »
If I may make a suggestion, it seems to me that CHDK is getting bigger and bigger, with more and more developers joining in, and what is needed is a "Linus Torvalds of CHDK": A person or persons who can co-ordinate development and minimize confusion and duplication of work. This would mean an official version of CHDK and a repository system to allow commits of code, like SVN. Being a co-ordinater is not a fun job. It requires maturity and level-headedness, but I think it will be necessary or CHDK development could become so diffuse that ultimately no one will be able to benefit from it.

« Reply #27 on: 23 / April / 2008, 04:14:30 »
CHDK is getting bigger and bigger, with more and more developers joining in

i do not know anything about the options in other languages, but for English,  people use SDM if they are doing stereo photography and the 'official' trunk-build for general photography.

These days, most developers commit their code to the trunk.

David

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #28 on: 23 / April / 2008, 04:15:14 »
Funny you should mention this.we already have a svn.coordinators we have several,among them - grAnd.problem is that the coders do not know the wishes of the users.thats why it is always a give and take situation.we need feature suggestions by the users to work with,we dont really have milestones to reach like in other opensource projects.i think chdk is a really mature project.only thing lacking right now is a fullfledged bugtracker.this is being worked on.

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #29 on: 23 / April / 2008, 08:06:14 »
only thing lacking right now is a fullfledged bugtracker
I would add "code comments" :)