fujifilm finepix s series - page 11 - Non-CANON cameras development - CHDK Forum

fujifilm finepix s series

• 113 Replies
Re: fujifilm finepix s series
« Reply #100 on: 22 / December / 2015, 11:03:16 »
Advertisements
I thought I would let everyone know that the "HiddenMenu" function works with the FinePix S3380 (which I purchased from Argos about 3 years ago). I also managed to up the Zoom from 26X to 30X as well by using the last item on the firmware list.  I also checked the quality of the images after applying and they don't seem to suffer as much from the "Painterly" effect that plagued this group of camera releases.  I also found that the JPEG is also saved (with preview) when saving a RAW file as well.

Keep up the good work.

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #101 on: 13 / January / 2016, 04:47:50 »
Hi there!
I'm Luca from northern Italy and I came in the forum looking for hacks for my S8500.
thanks to the posts in this thread I was able to get into the hidden menu and set zoom to 50x.
I also tried to get raw files but the option "Take12BitCCDRawImage" has no On/off switch in my menu, so I also tried to enable "SaveFullYRGB". The result is that, with the first on, I got a DSCXXX.RAW file only (without JPEG) that I can't open in any way. With the second, I got some YRGBXXX.RAW (this time with JPEG too) that I can't open either. I tried with several sw for Mac, including Raw Converter from Fuji, with no luck.

Anyway, another question: did someone get the goal in changing exposure time? I also took a look to Crutiatix post, with "functions.txt", but I couldn't understand how to use it.

Thanks to all in advance

I too have the same model Fujifilm S8500. How exactly did you get to that hidden firmware?! And did you finally get to work with RAWs?!

Thanks for your help. I sincerely appreciate it!
The name ShahJahan comes from Persian, where Shah means King and Jahan means World,
so the name ShahJahan in its literal sense means King of the World.

« Reply #102 on: 25 / January / 2016, 10:42:29 »
So I used HxD to look through the hex code in the firmware and found some funny stuff. There are ASCII arts all over the place. I found like 4 or 5.
Set the "Bits per line" to 132 and scroll into it. If you find a pattern, most will become visible after you set it to 66. There is one in line "003FFAD4" and another one in "003FBA60" that I wrote down

« Reply #103 on: 28 / April / 2016, 09:08:12 »
Hello. I have finepix s2980 and try to access hidden menu. The mentioned links https://denhin.fujifilm.co.jp/csg_en/index.htm and http://fujifilm-di.intranets.com are down. Anyone help me to access hidden menu? thanks

Offline ShahJahan

• King Of The World
« Reply #104 on: 06 / November / 2016, 01:05:21 »
Yay! I have access to the hidden menu! I found the procedure in a Fujifilm service manual (the manual says it's confidential) http://www.2shared.com/document/F7HOCYRM/fujifilm_s1800_s1880_sm.html Whoops how did that get there?

In any case, the key is to make a directory called HiddenMenu in the SD card root and then do the following procedure:

1. Turn the camera on with the SD card containing the HiddenMenu directory inside
2. Press "BACK/DISP" at the "DATE/TIME NOT SET" screen
3. Press "MENU/OK" button --> "SET-UP" --> Go to the fourth tab from the left --> "RESET"
--> Press LEFT on the d-pad and at the same time (or a fraction of a second later) press the zoom rocker in the TELEPHOTO position (to the right on my S1600)

4. You should now be in the service menu, don't mess around with the calibration. I have not tried all the options and it might be possible to wrongly calibrate your camera. Some of the options require special software that used to be found at https://denhin.fujifilm.co.jp/csg_en/index.htm and http://fujifilm-di.intranets.com, however both of those links are down now. Some of Fujifilm's international subsidiaries still have live websites with presumably the same files, but they require authentication. Maybe someone from a Fujifilm repair center might be able to share those files, given that the cameras in question are mostly discontinued and out of warranty.

Thanks, it worked for me!

1. Create a "HiddenMenu" folder (without inverted commas) in the SD card root
2. 2. Press "BACK/DISP" at the "DATE/TIME NOT SET" screen
3. Press "MENU/OK" button --> "SET-UP" --> Go to the fourth tab from the left --> "RESET"
4. Do NOT reset (there is NO danger even if you do, all it will do is reset the settings to default!)
5.  Press RIGHT on the d-pad and at the same time (or a fraction of a second later) press the zoom rocker in the TELEPHOTO position (to the right on my S8500)

Anything (apparently) useful there?

I'm not expecting "enable RAW" and "enable manual focus" checkboxes, just something maybe. =)

Well, yes, you can enable RAW mode as far as I've tested, but only with a quirk. With manual focus - no luck.
Note that step 2 from altwho's post is not required - you can actually enter in the service menu anytime you want once the SD card has the HiddenMenu folder on it by entering the normal setup menu and going to reset option. From the description he gave I had the impression that it was the normal way to start the camera in service mode, but apparently he had the batteries removed from the camera for a long time so date and time settings were lost.
Now, for the RAW mode, start the camera with the hidden menu and go to the "DEBUG" menu (there is also a debugmode - this is not OK). In the debug menu you have the option to turn on SAVEfullYRGB. Default value is off. If you enable the option, the camera will save the raw image (if you have also SAVEfullJPEG on, the camera will save both raw and jpg format). But once you turn off the camera, the camera defaults to normal jpg saving - so that's the quirk. Each time you want to save in RAW mode you have to enter into the debug menu.
Also, the saving time for the raw file is much longer than for the jpg file (in fact, the file is 10 to 20 times larger than the jpg file so also the writing time goes up). With my card, which is just and old SD card (like speed class 1), the saving of the raw image took about 20 seconds. I should try it with higher speed class card when I'll get one in my hands.

For manual focus - there is an option in the DEBUGMODE menu, but I could not figure if it's doing something. In time - I'll experiment with some other options in the service menu.

Later edit - now... there is the problem of opening Fuji RAW formats... as far as I've seen, the Fuji RAW (RAF) world is quite small and closed - so getting from a camera a format that it was not supposed to be supported only begs for further sleepless nights....
I can now shoot raw! But the raws are unusable! When I select yes for SAVEfullYRGB, I get ALL the files of exact 15.1 MB and if I select NO for ALL the options and press Take12BitCCDRawImage option (this option has NO yes/no dialog and nothing to show if it's on or off!) I just click on it and press the shutter button and it takes me to the camera and when I shoot a pic, I get ALL the files of exact 30 MB.

Now these files have a .raw extension and I tried opening it using IrfanView, FastStone Image Viewer, Windows 10 default program and even Photoshop! Every time it opens a Grayscale image with a lot of patterns and grunge and noise and dots with the image in the background (all in grayscale!). I have seen that I'm NOT the only one having this error. SEVERAL people have reported on this thread about the same issue!

I think nothing can be done about these Fuji's and hence this thread was abandoned?! Anyways, thanks for all those who contributed and if there's still someone working or still a fix for things, then kindly revive this thread!

Kind Regards,
Shah Jahan.
The name ShahJahan comes from Persian, where Shah means King and Jahan means World,
so the name ShahJahan in its literal sense means King of the World.

« Reply #105 on: 03 / December / 2016, 07:15:57 »
Now these files have a .raw extension and I tried opening it using IrfanView, FastStone Image Viewer, Windows 10 default program and even Photoshop! Every time it opens a Grayscale image with a lot of patterns and grunge and noise and dots with the image in the background (all in grayscale!). I have seen that I'm NOT the only one having this error.
If you provide those file for download then somebody can investigate them. What is the resolution of your camera ?

« Reply #106 on: 25 / August / 2019, 23:46:04 »
A greyscale image is what you can expect; raw files have to be debayered. Typically you will see a checkerboard-like pattern in areas of strong color. This can be decoded manually in image magick
https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=12791.0

« Reply #107 on: 11 / July / 2020, 17:24:35 »
I just recently came across this forum after trying to find out of my FinePix was able to be tweaked to shoot in RAW. I notice that much of this posting revolves around the FinePix "S" series. Would this also include the FinePix SL series also?

I recently downloaded the last firmware update for my SL300, but I haven't had any luck pulling up the debug/hidden menu. Looking at my .DAT file in a hex editor clearly shows that some portions of it are what I think is editable, but I'm afraid that if I edit stuff in the hex editor that it will break the whole firmware. Thus potentially bricking my camera also :'(.

Firmware for my SL300:

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/support/download/firmware/cameras/sl300/

Update:

Having followed some of the various steps on this forum, I have successfully accessed the hidden menu in my FinePix SL300.
« Last Edit: 11 / July / 2020, 19:31:12 by Fujita35 »

« Reply #108 on: 26 / July / 2020, 20:30:12 »

I discovered this topic after a lot of searching on the internet, the HDMI output Fuji Finepix S2950 only serves to reproduce recorded content ... can I change anything so that I can use HDMI to broadcast live?

I hope you help me .. tks

« Reply #109 on: 26 / July / 2020, 20:49:41 »
This may interest you all.  :)

After searching the internet I came across this zip file containing software, firmware and the service manuals for the S8200 - 500. Seems to include the software to adjust the settings, etc...

Here's the link: http://www.ulozto.net/xZMxA3V5/fujifilm-finepix-s8200-500-zip

What's the procedure?
can you help me?