fujifilm finepix s series - page 6 - Non-CANON cameras development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

fujifilm finepix s series

• 113 Replies
Re: fujifilm finepix s series
« Reply #50 on: 15 / September / 2013, 02:41:44 »
Advertisements
I will buy a S4500, and I wish could have RAW...

« Reply #51 on: 07 / October / 2013, 18:41:04 »
Hey I'm new here.I have figured out how access the HiddenMenu on a FujiFilm FinePix s4400.
1.Make a directory(folder)named"HiddenMenu" on the root of the SD card.
2.Then when your at the reset option .
3.Press the right button(the one with the flash arrow thing)
on the d-pad at the same time as you are zooming in with the zoom rocker.
Hope my instructions are clear.I know its pretty much the same as the instructions.
Already posted here except you press right on the d-pad instead of left.
I would like to know how to save in .raw.Threw the debug menu .
I have tried the options that were mentioned.Before in this thread.
And I haven't been able to save in .raw.
Their is a option "Take12BitCCDRawImage".When you press on it does nothing underneath that option is Switch require formatting.
Can anyone suggest a good link so I can learn how to navigate the hiddenmenu .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline apass

« Reply #52 on: 17 / November / 2013, 05:57:24 »
After much work, pretty much competing with my PhD for available time slots, I now have a matrix than can convert from raw RGB to jpg RGB. At least for the 8 bits per pixel raw files. However, I believe they could apply also for the 12 bits per pixels, with proper scaling.
So based on this matrix, you could derive all the rest of the matrices by simple computations. But there is a critical point, and this gave me quite a few head-aches - the gamma correction must be done on a color channel basis, otherwise the results are not OK. Another point, the matrix is no producing 100% identical images in all conditions, but the results are good, at least for me are sometimes better than what the camera produces (for instance a more blueish hue for the sky instead of the more purple hue typical for Fuji cameras). I believe this is because of automatic white balancing done inside the camera, for which we don't have info in the raw files. Anyway, the matrix was extracted from a picture done in broad daylight, about noon, and covers many colors.
A few words about matrix extraction. Initially I tried to follow the suggestion given by  Alex in his links, however that did not work. One of the reasons was that it assumed a gamma value, with no connection to the actual image sensor. So this means that the matrix extraction and gamma determination must be done both in order to have good results - this was done by estimation over the entire image, using gradient descent - the process of converting to a new color space and applying gamma correction could be assimilated with passing the image through an artificial neural network with 2 layers. The first layer has a non-linear activation function (log function) and applies the color space conversion (the weights of the neuron inputs are the matrix coefficients) plus a gamma linearization. The second level is also non-linear and applies the gamma correction as weights at the inputs. The activation function is an exponential. In a few math lines this could be like this:

N1 = ln(R*a + G * b + B * c)
N2 = e^(gamma * N1) = (e^N1)^gamma = (R*a + G * b + B * c)^gamma

With this in mind, it's possible to apply the gradient descent algorithm to compute both the gamma value and the matrix values. But like I said, each color channel has it's own gamma value and until I realized this I was very frustrated because I could get no good results!

So - here are my values:
gamma vector:
g_R = 0.7645
g_G = 1.2790
g_B = 0.6802

matrix =
    1.4929   -0.3490    0.1428
   -0.4644    1.6422   -0.2113
    0.0398   -0.5037    1.8335

The operation needed with this matrix to convert from RAW to JPG is like this:
JPG = (matrix x RAW)^gamma

JPG and RAW are column vectors like this:
JPG = [jpg_R
          jpg_G
          jpg_B]

I hope this results will give a new impulse to the thread and that we will see new results with this!!

I forgot to tell that all computations are done with both the RAW image and the JPG image normalized to the maximum value that can be represented given the number of bits per pixel. In my case this was 256, but if you're going to use the 12 bits per pixel image, than you must normalize the raw image to 2^12 = 4096 and than use the matrix. After that, you can de-normalize to what ever bit depth you're using (8 / 12/ 16). Of course - it's also possible to de-normalize the matrix.
« Last Edit: 17 / November / 2013, 06:02:42 by apass »

Offline apass

« Reply #53 on: 17 / November / 2013, 06:14:58 »
And I haven't been able to save in .raw.
Their is a option "Take12BitCCDRawImage".When you press on it does nothing underneath that option is Switch require formatting.
Can anyone suggest a good link so I can learn how to navigate the hiddenmenu .
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The are several raw options which could be enabled from the menu with yes and no. For the Take12BitCCDRawImage all you have to do is go to the option and press OK (at least that's what I remember, it could also be that you need to press the right arrow - I don't have access to the camera right now as I'm out of the country). But it's important not to turn off the camera. The enabling is done only during the current session.
So for raw, you'll enable the option from the hidden menu and then you'll go directly to the shooting mode.
Also, note that when taking images in 12 bits mode, the camera will not display the results on its screen, all you would see would be a garbled image or nothing at all - this is because the camera doesn't save the JPG when shooting the 12 bits mode. Also, 12 bits mode cancels the other camera modes if they are enabled, at least the mode that saves 8 bit DSCO images (I don't remember the name of the mode) for which there is a filename conflict!
« Last Edit: 17 / November / 2013, 06:16:50 by apass »

« Reply #54 on: 08 / January / 2014, 13:46:31 »
I´ve been playing with the settings in the debugmode menu in a Finepix S4300 (keys to enter when in RESET are : Right Arrow + T (zoom+):

You can force all modes to work using automatic ISO (C,M,S,A,P)
- If you fix the ISO at AUTO then you can make ISO Bracketing more accurately when you are in the "S" (shutter priority) mode. It selects all modes (50, 64, 100, ...)
- ISO 3200 full mode looks better than ISO 2500 and 2000, granulated but better.
- Aperture is always in BIG (BIG, SMALL, AUTO). Can´t change.
- Exposure time compensation is always in AUTO. In the setting you can adjust till 3 seconds in small increments.
- Manual focus is always AUTO
- AE metering can be changed (+3 -3 EV)

I would like to extend a few seconds more than the default 8", but i don´t know how to make work the Exp. time compensation. Anybody? Manual focus?
Can be done at last a converter for the RAW files? Does it worth?

« Reply #55 on: 08 / January / 2014, 14:37:57 »
I´ve been playing with the settings in the debugmode menu in a Finepix S4300 (keys to enter when in RESET are : Right Arrow + T (zoom+):

You can force all modes to work using automatic ISO (C,M,S,A,P)
- If you fix the ISO at AUTO then you can make ISO Bracketing more accurately when you are in the "S" (shutter priority) mode. It selects all modes (50, 64, 100, ...)
- ISO 3200 full mode looks better than ISO 2500 and 2000, granulated but better.
- Aperture is always in BIG (BIG, SMALL, AUTO). Can´t change.
- Exposure time compensation is always in AUTO. In the setting you can adjust till 3 seconds in small increments.
- Manual focus is always AUTO
- AE metering can be changed (+3 -3 EV)

I would like to extend a few seconds more than the default 8", but i don´t know how to make work the Exp. time compensation. Anybody? Manual focus?
Can be done at last a converter for the RAW files? Does it worth?

I think if someone does have RAW on these cameras would be great, and if it could extend the exposure time would be even cooler.

Thanks to all who are working for it.

« Reply #56 on: 08 / January / 2014, 16:02:09 »
There is a post in this thread from lionking that says that is posible to make scripting on this camera.
I don´t clearly understand how to do it.
Has anybody tried to do this? What kind of things can be done? Could be possible to write some specific scripting for exposure and bracketing?

« Reply #57 on: 08 / January / 2014, 16:29:09 »
There is a post in this thread from lionking that says that is posible to make scripting on this camera.
I don´t clearly understand how to do it.
Has anybody tried to do this? What kind of things can be done? Could be possible to write some specific scripting for exposure and bracketing?

I cant enter the hidden menu. I have a Fuji S4500

« Reply #58 on: 10 / January / 2014, 07:24:34 »
Hi I joined just to post this and help out a little.

I have an s4800 and using mentaL_'s method of holding/pressing right instead of left worked for me.

On mine you don't have to quickly press the button combo, you just hold the direction (since pressing right doesn't exit the reset menu, just make sure you highlight CANCEL just in case ;) ) and then tap the telephoto zoom.

Thanks!

Ben.

P.S. At least the captcha on this forum is a house building puzzle rather than a boring old number/letter combo thing ;)

« Reply #59 on: 19 / January / 2014, 14:58:45 »
Hi guys!

i found your thread as i was looking for the existance of a fuji chdk equivalent.

i think you've been working well. i hope this can be the begining of something like chdk or ML, for Fujifilm cameras.

I have S1000fd, and tried to access the hiddenmenu as you explained.
wasn't able do to that. In the service manual, it's not explained how to do it. instead, they talk about a software (exclusive of the service) to copy to the SD card, and it'll load the expertise menus.

well, for me... nothing to do now.
i was checking the manual, and there is a section where they explain how the camera handles the signal.

Signal Process block
=> Input data from CCD
The 12bit digital image data sent from the CCD/CAM block is sent to DSP of camera (inside the DRAM (16 M byte)),
which equals to 1 frame (2048 pix x 1536 pix) is temporarily stored. At the same time, the image data sent to DSP is
calculated in [Auto calculation block], to obtain the correct AE/AWB/AF. The data is sent to and temporarily stored in
SDRAM (U100).

=> Recording onto an xD-Picture card
The image data held in SDRAM U100 (CT48568126A-G4) is sent one DSP line at a time to the internal [signal processing unit], which unpacks the data. This consists of "32-bit -> 10-bit conversion", "pre-processing such as digital clamping, gamma correction and conversion of the R, G, and B channels from 10 bits to 8 bits", followed by "YC processing of each of the 8-bit digital RGB signals where Y:Cb:Cr = 4:2:2". The Y, Cb and Cr 8-bit image data is then sent to the internal buffer -- SDRAM.
The image data of Y/Cb/Cr each 8bit is sent to the inside buffer — SDRAM. [Inside buffer—SDRAM] change “each Y/Cb/ Cr signal of 8bit into the easily changed DCT pattern”. By the DSP [JPEG calculation compression] -> [Media controller]
->SDRAM, and last stored in the xD-Picture card.

well, for you that are making efforts to handle de RAW files, i hope this can help you out.

cya later.