spam

• 20 Replies

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
Re: spam
« Reply #10 on: 17 / June / 2011, 04:43:41 »
Advertisements
Where are the moderators? Do we need more moderators to help clean up the rubbish getting dumped here...
If something isn't done soon this place will become unusable.

I agree. This forum needs a little bit more moderation and administration.

Maybe it helps to change standard addresses in the forum software for login and registration. So the bots can't find addresses.

There are also other problems in the forum. Porting threads are distributed over the whole forum. Sometimes it is quite difficult to find the thread for a specific camera. This needs more moderation. An other problem are the links in quotes.

But we should always think also the fact that this forum is free and ad-free. Thanks goes to acseven.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #11 on: 17 / June / 2011, 06:58:07 »
Maybe it helps to change standard addresses in the forum software for login and registration. So the bots can't find addresses.
If it's bots, which I also think is most likely, and they specifically search for and attack this forum's software, then this could work. But they can also just crawl a bit and then it won't help, though it might stop the current wave. In this case other options, like adding an extra input field but hiding it with CSS (so only bots will fill it in), might help.

The forum seems to support mods. Here's a thread linking to some that help combat spam: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=377031.0

« Reply #12 on: 17 / June / 2011, 11:51:04 »
This is ridiculous.

I notice Whim is often signed-in, why cannot he be given the authority to instantly ban and delete ?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #13 on: 17 / June / 2011, 16:20:06 »
I take back my comment about the spammers using a login once and then not coming back.
Indeed, this is getting ridiculous with spambots who have 20+ posts over several days :|
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline philmoz

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: 17 / June / 2011, 19:44:35 »
If it's bots, which I also think is most likely, and they specifically search for and attack this forum's software, then this could work. But they can also just crawl a bit and then it won't help, though it might stop the current wave. In this case other options, like adding an extra input field but hiding it with CSS (so only bots will fill it in), might help.

The forum seems to support mods. Here's a thread linking to some that help combat spam: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=377031.0

Also if it's bots they've probably broken the 'captcha' on the registration page.
Perhaps replacing it with Google's reCaptcha will help (http://www.google.com/recaptcha)

Phil.
CHDK ports:
  sx30is (1.00c, 1.00h, 1.00l, 1.00n & 1.00p)
  g12 (1.00c, 1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  sx130is (1.01d & 1.01f)
  ixus310hs (1.00a & 1.01a)
  sx40hs (1.00d, 1.00g & 1.00i)
  g1x (1.00e, 1.00f & 1.00g)
  g5x (1.00c, 1.01a, 1.01b)
  g7x2 (1.01a, 1.01b, 1.10b)

« Reply #15 on: 26 / June / 2011, 09:46:05 »
Hi,

Thanks for the input and sorry about the delay.

I've change the captcha system, as these last few weeks several smf forums have been hammered with spam as well and saw this as a good solution.

Well see how it goes - please PM me again if it continues.

Also, all members that think they could help out as moderators are always welcome to send me a pm.

Cheers

« Reply #16 on: 25 / July / 2011, 02:31:49 »
Bringing you an update on this matter: the current spam is being generated by accounts created in mid-June (when the spam-spree begun).

As it's not straightforward to check if the registered users are true users, those accounts are being *deleted* as the spam occurs.

« Reply #17 on: 30 / July / 2011, 14:13:31 »
Due to a new wave of spammer registrations, I have set new member registration to be activated by the administrator.

This is temporary, but I still can't tell for how long.

Cheers

« Reply #18 on: 17 / August / 2011, 15:51:23 »
Due to a new wave of spammer registrations, I have set new member registration to be activated by the administrator.

This is temporary, but I still can't tell for how long.

Cheers

Hi,

New member admin activation has been disabled. I guess the new spam prevention measures are now a bit tougher to beat, so I guess it's ok to get the registration back to normal.

Cheers

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #19 on: 19 / August / 2011, 13:03:54 »
I do not recall seeing ad banners placed in message replies, but now they are all over the place.

Like this one -> http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=5691.msg71844#msg71844

Is this intended (e.g. to support the forum), or is it spam/spammers?
« Last Edit: 19 / August / 2011, 13:08:07 by achillies »
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.