supplierdeeply

chdkptp - alternative ptp client

• 1037 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: chdkptp - alternative ptp client
« Reply #1030 on: 02 / April / 2018, 12:48:14 »
Advertisements
My Windows 7 PC (8gb RAM) will clear the RAM if chdkptp exceeds 900 mb of memory. It shot 1500 pictures (about 6gb) without any problem.
My RPi3 (1gb RAM) with Raspian does not clear the RAM, so it crashes. The following pictures are saved to the camera SD card (as you mentioned in https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13386.msg136688#msg136688). Sometimes the RPi will clear the RAM once or maybe twice, but it crashes always. My best attempt was about 800 pictures.
Thanks for the report. I should have a fix for this later today.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1031 on: 02 / April / 2018, 16:19:24 »
@Bluestone_7
I checked in a workaround for the remoteshoot memory issues in chdkptp r835. Update to the latest lua files to use it.

« Reply #1032 on: 04 / April / 2018, 15:57:29 »
Hi reyalp,

thank you very much.
I just tried it and it works perfectly.

« Reply #1033 on: 29 / April / 2018, 11:43:49 »
As discussed in this thread I was able to get CHDK PTP working on OpenSuse Leap 42 using a slight modification of the instructions for Fedora 27.

The only difference is in the line to insert below. From the install instructions for Fedora 27:
edit /etc/udev/rules.d/40-libgphoto2.rules, immediately below the line
Code: [Select]
ENV{ID_USB_INTERFACES}=="", IMPORT{program}="usb_id --export %%p"Add
ENV{ID_USB_INTERFACES}=="*:060101:*", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04a9", MODE="0664", GOTO="libgphoto2_rules_end"

For OpenSuse I inserted the same line below:
ENV{ID_USB_INTERFACES}=="", IMPORT{builtin}="usb_id"
Also as discussed I was not able to open an Assembla account, so I'm providing feedback here just in case other OpenSusers come up against the same problem.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1034 on: 29 / April / 2018, 15:57:04 »
As discussed in this thread I was able to get CHDK PTP working on OpenSuse Leap 42 using a slight modification of the instructions for Fedora 27.
Thanks for the note. I'm not sure how much distro specific detail it's worth including, but it's good to have another data point.

I moved the ixus240 related post back to the other thread: https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=13416.10

« Reply #1035 on: 18 / September / 2018, 16:49:46 »
Hi reyalp and others. Two questions I've run into while working on TwoCamControl, a windows frontend that uses chdkptp.

1. question about zoom_set_relative(+1)

In my tests the chdkptp command zoom_set_relative(+1) works once but if repeated has no effect until some other zoom action is performed inbetween.

For example
zoom_set_relative(+1)
zoom_set_relative(+1)
will actually only make the camera zoom one step, the second command has no effect.
But on the other hand this works as expected
zoom_set_relative(+1)
zoom_set_relative(-1)
zoom_set_relative(+1)
as this also works as expected
zoom_set_relative(+1)
zoom_set_relative(+5)
zoom_set_relative(+1)
and this also works
zoom_set_relative(+2)
zoom_set_relative(+2)

Now the question: is this a general issue with chdkptp/CHDK/Canon cameras and zoom_set_relative(+1) ? Or merely something specific to my setup/cameras?

2. question about special (not A-Z) characters after the path command when in rsint mode

What characters are supported after the path command? Could support be added for characters such as the german ü ?

For example if we start rsint mode and then enter the commands
path C:/1ü2/1
s
one would expect the file
C:/1ü2/1.jpg
But in my tests the image is instead saved as
C:/12/1.jpg
where the character between 1 and 2 is https://unicode-table.com/en/search/?q=%C2%81 , a character not visible in File Explorer in Windows 10

Offline reyalp

« Reply #1036 on: Yesterday at 17:35:12 »
1. question about zoom_set_relative(+1)
zoom_set_relative is not a CHDK or chdkptp function.

testing set_zoom_rel on elph130 and elph180, I see similar behavior to what you describe.

=set_zoom(get_zoom()+1) behaves similarly, as expected, since this is how set_zoom_rel works.

I believe this is a camera / CHDK issue, where set_zoom on cameras with a lot of zoom steps doesn't necessarily end up on the exact step requested. e.g.
con 28> =set_zoom(get_zoom()+1) return get_zoom()
29:return:6
con 29> =set_zoom(get_zoom()+1) return get_zoom()
30:return:6
On this camera, doing +2 actually seems to give one unit steps (but probably isn't 100% reliable):
con 30> =set_zoom(get_zoom()+2) return get_zoom()
31:return:7
con 31> =set_zoom(get_zoom()+2) return get_zoom()
32:return:8
This is a CHDK / Canon firmware camera specific issue. It shouldn't have anything to do with chdkptp.

On old cameras with only a few steps, +1 works as expected.

I'd suggest if you want to move zoom in small increments on cameras with a lot of steps, use something a bit bigger than 1.

2. question about special (not A-Z) characters after the path command when in rsint mode

What characters are supported after the path command? Could support be added for characters such as the german ü ?
Unfortunately, chdkptp currently isn't unicode aware at all, so I'd recommend sticking to straight ANSI for now. Maybe I can fix this in the future.

« Reply #1037 on: Today at 05:31:53 »
This is a CHDK / Canon firmware camera specific issue. It shouldn't have anything to do with chdkptp.

On old cameras with only a few steps, +1 works as expected.

I'd suggest if you want to move zoom in small increments on cameras with a lot of steps, use something a bit bigger than 1.

Thanks for the reply. In the latest TwoCamControl I work around the issue roughly by zooming in +2 increments if get_zoom() returns >100 and otherwise +1. Though the >100 criterion is just a hunch. For all I know there might be a 90 zoom step range camera out there with the same +1 problem.

Do you know of a complete list of zoom ranges for the different CHDK supported cameras? I couldn't find one when searching, only scattered remarks like this http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Script_commands#get_zoom_steps writes "For example on the A620 it will return 8, on the S3IS it will return 128."
(Perhaps I should take this question to the general CHDK forum?)

BTW I started using set_zoom_relative and get_zoom , and then ran into the issue above, because
luar click('zoom_in') doesn't always zoom the same number of steps.

Unfortunately, chdkptp currently isn't unicode aware at all, so I'd recommend sticking to straight ANSI for now.
Ok, I'll make users stick to A-Z 0-9 Space in paths for now.