Annoying bug in build 37

• 13 Replies

Offline wap4

• A720IS
Annoying bug in build 37
« on: 28 / February / 2008, 00:47:35 »
Advertisements
         Dear Allbest,

I'm reporting a bug(present since build 16).
         I've spent considerable time detecting the nature of the bug and here is the observation.

Camera Model :A720IS
         Firmware Version:1.00C

Bug Description:
         Set the mode dial to any of the following modes:-Av Mode,Indoor,Kids & Pets. Now turn on the camera in
         playback mode. Now after loading CHDK,press any of the keys:-ALT,UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT.You will see
         that instead of normal playback mode,the camera somehow goes into record mode showing signs like this :-

1)Single press of any of the above mentioned keys makes the lens of the camera extend in playback mode
            and the LCD blacks out.

2)Subsequent presses of the above mentioned buttons result a clicking sound(which normally comes only while shooting)
            and the LCD suddenly turns on for a fraction of second showing the name of the mode(i.e. Av or Kids & Pets,
            this should happen only when you change the mode dial position in record mode) and then again turns off.
            (However no picture is shot despite the clicking sound,thank God!)

3)I have tested that all other modes are free from this problem.                     

Thus in playback mode I can't access the CHDK configuration in playback mode when mode dial is set to Av,Kids
         and Pets,Indoors
. Also I cannot review the pictures as the 4 navigation buttons fail to function properly.

Pleeeee.......ase try to fix this in subsequent builds

Edit: Sorry,the actual situation is much more complicated,bug cannot be reproduced even under 'same' conditions.
« Last Edit: 14 / March / 2008, 11:38:08 by wap4 »

Offline wap4

• A720IS
Re: Annoying bug in build 37:Allbest please post a reply
« Reply #1 on: 28 / February / 2008, 07:18:50 »
DELETED!
« Last Edit: 14 / March / 2008, 11:37:05 by wap4 »

« Reply #2 on: 28 / February / 2008, 09:47:07 »
Hi, wap4!
Thank you for feedback! I think that here some trouble with initial CHDK porting on a720. This bug is difficult to fix not having a720 in hands. I think that jeff666 can help with this bug fixing (he initially did much of work with porting CHDK on this camera with new dryos operational system). I'll try to conatct with him
Thanks!

Offline jeff666

• A720IS
« Reply #3 on: 28 / February / 2008, 10:34:59 »
Quote from: wap4
It is the 2nd time I'm reporting the same bug(present since build 16 and NOT fixed in build 37 also!).

I did read your first bugreport and can't reproduce this behaviour (tested on official #37 without CHDK-dir).

Could you find another A720 and try to reproduce the bug there? Just to make sure that it's not a hardware-fault.

Cheers.

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #4 on: 28 / February / 2008, 10:42:07 »
Thanks a lot to both of you for reply! I'll try to test this on another A720. However, another user also
had this problem. See this thread- Build 34

P.S. The problem does not occur when CHDK is deleted from the card.(Not surprising!)
« Last Edit: 28 / February / 2008, 11:05:14 by wap4 »

Offline hcm

• A720IS
« Reply #5 on: 29 / February / 2008, 01:54:07 »
Yes, I have the same bug and it's not gone in #37 :(
I don't have the problem when I disable the writelock so CHDK is not activated...

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #6 on: 29 / February / 2008, 04:02:03 »
Weird enough,I also cannot reproduce the bug everytime. Sometimes it works fine and sometimes doesn't.
I'll post anything more about this only after much more investigation. 
« Last Edit: 29 / February / 2008, 04:05:39 by wap4 »

« Reply #7 on: 03 / March / 2008, 01:28:04 »
I cannot reproduce the bug on my A720IS ... hmmm

« Reply #8 on: 04 / March / 2008, 00:00:20 »
I too intermittently experience the same problems. Sometimes I don't even have to press any buttons for the lens to extend and retract while blanking out my display. I also see the problem in Program mode as well. Playback seems to works fine in Auto mode.
I just bought the camera 2 weeks ago. (LOVE IT)
CHDK only mis-behaves on my A720IS (DryOS) and not on my A570IS. Looks like an issue with the DryOS port. I know you guys already knew that. Just FYI.

AllBest and the rest of the developers, keep up the great work. (I don't wish to exclude anyone one associated with this projects growth and development, I appreciate ALL your hard work)  I wish I could do more to assist but I'm pretty new to this stuff.

I'm loving this so much I ran out to buy me the A720IS to play with. My sub-$200 camera's are more fun to experiment with than my K-M DSLR now.
WOW. Cheap thrills.

PS. Long file names are also an issue with my 4GB (Fat 16 formatted) A720IS.

Looking forward to more great builds.

Thanks,
Gregg

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #9 on: 09 / March / 2008, 10:04:30 »
 Finally, another user reports his problem here:- A720IS acting wierd in playback (Allbest 100c-37)
 So,I'm quite assured that it is not hardware related problem,specific to my A720IS only.  :)
 However, the nature of the bug is such that it cannot be reproduced even under seemingly identical
 conditions.That's why it is hard to check it. But anyone shooting extensively in different mode will notice
 this while viewing pictures in playback mode. 
« Last Edit: 09 / March / 2008, 10:06:56 by wap4 »