cyanotype, is it possible? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

cyanotype, is it possible?

• 3 Replies
cyanotype, is it possible?
« on: 26 / June / 2011, 01:43:49 »
Advertisements
Is it possible to create a script which does a cyanotype effect on the SX30IS, or on ANY canon camera supported by chdk, or am I asking the impossible?

Re: cyanotype, is it possible?
« Reply #1 on: 26 / June / 2011, 09:42:06 »
Is it possible to create a script which does a cyanotype effect on the SX30IS, or on ANY canon camera supported by chdk, or am I asking the impossible?
Possible?  Yes. 

Worth doing ? Probably not.

Unlikely you could do it with a LUA or uBasic script. If you worked hard enough and really know what you are doing,  you could probably write some C code and build it into CHDK.  But why bother ?  This sounds like the sort of thing best handled through post processing with Photoshop or Gimp or any one of hundreds of other image processing software packages.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 26 / June / 2011, 12:04:50 »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Looking through things earlier, I think I may be able to accomplish similar in camera without a script.  The SX30IS has both colour swap, and colour accent already built in.  Colour accent allows you to keep a single colour, and everything else is black and white, and colour swap will allow you to invert or swap out one colour in place of another, making for some interesting effects as well.

I think with what's already programmed into the camera, and some minor but clever post-processing, I can get the effect I'm looking for, which is a good thing because I can't code my way out of a paper-bag unless it's bash script, perl, tcl, or ruby - pretty much all scripting languages..  my C skills :haha are painfully lacking.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 26 / June / 2011, 15:33:41 »
There hasn't been much exploration of the Canon color manipulation functions really. The only thing I know of is the second part of this post by ewavr: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4567.msg44039#msg44039

But again, why not do it after the fact on your PC ? There are sophisticated image processing libraries available for pretty much every language you mentioned, and if you shoot raw/dng, you'll be working with exactly the same data the canon functions would have.
Don't forget what the H stands for.