IXUS 115 HS / ELPH 100 HS request - page 43 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

IXUS 115 HS / ELPH 100 HS request

• 538 Replies

Offline dnw

Re: IXUS 115 HS / ELPH 100 HS request
« Reply #420 on: 17 / July / 2012, 20:14:23 »
Advertisements
tried superfine,  fine, and normal. But even on superfine with the override, I am only getting 2MB photo.

When can check if the photo is superfine by looking at the detailed display screen. In the Bottom Left corner there is a Symbol prepesenting the Compression Quality and a letter representing pixels - L M1 MS S etc.

Note that these are selected independently in the Function menu.

The Standard compression symbols are a Smooth quadrant or a jagged quadrant. However if you had set super-fine compression by CHDK you will see a symbol of the smooth qudrant with a "S" inside it.

With your small file size picture - what is the pixel size indicator. My guess is that it is not 'L".

A530 & IXUS 115 HS Firmware version, 1.01C, CHDK status:   user

« Reply #421 on: 17 / July / 2012, 23:08:04 »
Thanks for the feedback. The camera is shooting in superfine (the s inside the smooth curve). I guess I don't get why so much compression is possible. I looked at old pictures (on this camera) and they are a mixture of anywhere from 2 MB to 4.7 MB. It is hard for me to believe the processor mixed with cache is really that superior to a previous generation camera (that is that it can cut give equal compression and with a third of the effective data).

I also got the raw working. I didn't know I had to create the bad pixel bin in complete darkness, and yes I was utterly underwhelmed as you guys said I'd be  by the raw image.  :-X I'll need to learn more about raw and how to use it when I have time.

I'll have to do more research on this when I have time, but the superfine should in theory help with the panoramas for now. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

-Swithich
Ixus 115 HS / firmw.1.01a-CHDK-beginner - USA

« Reply #422 on: 18 / July / 2012, 03:47:36 »
(warning: broken english ahead)

I've build a lens profile that can be used with the dngs saved on this camera by chdk. I made it with Adobe Lens Profile Creator and the resulting profile is compatible with Camera Raw and Lightroom.

The procedure is quite simple and I could describe it here as suggested by waterwingz but in fact I've just followed the instructions that came with Adobe's software. Although simple, it is extremely time consuming: 9 shots for each of the 10 zoom steps, all perfectly aligned and evenly illuminated. It took me around 4 hours to shoot all 90 dngs plus 1 hour to prepare the files and around 2 hours of processing time on a 2011 Mac Book Pro (i5). I thought of building it for my A640 too but I don't think it's going to happen!

The attached profile contains all the necessary data to correct geometry, CA and vignetting. For CA, you have to enable it in the "Color" tab of the "Lens Corrections" panel.

A word of caution: at the tele end, more correction is done on the left side of the image; maybe a sign that my camera has a decentered lens. YMMV.

Installation:
For OSX users, place the file inside
/Users/(User Name)/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/LensProfiles/1.0/

For Windows 7 or Vista users, place the file inside
C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0

I compared the camera's jpegs with the corrected dngs and we not only get better correction using profiles but also a wider fov, maybe to the tune of a 25mm efl, horizontally.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions.

« Reply #423 on: 18 / July / 2012, 04:27:19 »

Two questions:

- When I turn on my camera, it always comes up in "playing" mode. Is it possible to change this and make it start in "shooting" mode? (101c)

- I would love to have the camera automatically start on a specified zoom level, say 3 steps above full wide. Is it possible? (answer depends on the answer to the first question, of course)

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #424 on: 18 / July / 2012, 04:39:03 »
- When I turn on my camera, it always comes up in "playing" mode. Is it possible to change this and make it start in "shooting" mode? (101c)

Press the power button longer than one second.

- I would love to have the camera automatically start on a specified zoom level, say 3 steps above full wide. Is it possible? (answer depends on the answer to the first question, of course)

It's possible via an autostart script.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline siak

« Reply #425 on: 19 / July / 2012, 01:37:38 »
@Rogerio, 1. thanks a lot for your lcp! it's amazing! shots are really wider :)
2. it seems that chdk doesn't have autostart script feauture. i've wrote a small script. maybe you can change it and make as you want. just play around with "set_zoom" value. it's from 0 to smth, I don't know what's the highest value for it. there's one thing: as you can see, in the beginning I make a variable x for the start zoom (it's 0) and i return it in the end. if you don't return it, you will be unable to change the zoom before you restart your camera or go to preview mode.
    get_zoom x
    set_zoom 3
    rem You can insert here 'press "shoot_full"' or anything else :)
    set_zoom x
    end
« Last Edit: 19 / July / 2012, 02:12:13 by siak »

« Reply #426 on: 19 / July / 2012, 07:13:35 »
it seems that chdk doesn't have autostart script feauture.
Actually, it does.

i've wrote a small script. maybe you can change it and ...
Code: [Select]
get_zoom x
set_zoom 3
rem You can insert here 'press "shoot_full"' or anything else :)
set_zoom x
end
Rogerio started a seperate thread to discuss this :
  http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8323
The idea of needing to return the zoom to its original position is interesting.   I'll try it on some other CHDK cameras to see if they need to do that too.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline siak

« Reply #427 on: 19 / July / 2012, 12:54:31 »
@waterwingz, this idea is weird :D but according to my testing, without returning to the first zoom value zoom buttons don't work, so you need to restart the camera.

« Reply #428 on: 20 / July / 2012, 15:44:00 »
@waterwingz, this idea is weird :D but according to my testing, without returning to the first zoom value zoom buttons don't work, so you need to restart the camera.
precise: set_zoom 0
and  (...need to restart...) or switch to play and back to record.

further running this:

get_zoom x
set_zoom 3
end

doesn't zoom in autostart; when you run this manually, it does it.
Ixus 115 HS / firmw.1.01b - using and testing the new beta - CHDK-beginner - Europe

« Reply #429 on: 20 / July / 2012, 17:05:24 »
doesn't zoom in autostart; when you run this manually, it does it.
You probably need a sleep 2000 in there on the first line to allow the camera time to complete its power-up setups.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16