Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK inside
  • Publish
    unified buttons for <ALT> mode
    « on: 25 / August / 2011, 07:19:14 »
    Advertisements
    Hi everyone,

Since newer cameras have no print button we use other keys or key combinations for switching in <ALT> mode.

Most of these newer cameras have a play button, btw also blue like the print button.

Can we not make an agreement to set the play button as default <ALT> mode key for cameras without print button?

This button is not otherwise used by CHDK. The most other possible keys are used by CHDK.

Btw, so it's also easier to explain how to switches in <ALT> mode.

msl

German CHDK pages:  CHDK forum | CHDK inside | CHDK Twitter News by msl | Download CHDK-DE (Autobuild)
    Note: SDM violates the GPL rules!

Offline reyalp

• Publish
    Re: unified buttons for <ALT> mode
    « Reply #1 on: 25 / August / 2011, 21:31:44 »
    I think play is a good choice, since long press for the original function shouldn't be a major inconvenience.
    Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
      • fe50
  • Publish
    « Reply #2 on: 26 / August / 2011, 05:17:38 »
    Yep, fe50 agrees

• Publish
    « Reply #3 on: 26 / August / 2011, 08:41:32 »
    Most of these newer cameras have a play button, btw also blue like the print button.

Can we not make an agreement to set the play button as default <ALT> mode key for cameras without print button?
    Tried this out on a borrowed SD1200 that already had it  implemented that way.  Actually liked it much better than using the DISP  button as implemented on my SD940.  If we go this way,  I'll go back and update some of the ports I have done.  Maybe use the option for "alternate ALT button" to make the original <ALT> button choice available as the alternative for disgruntled users?

Can't remember what happens in shooting mode when you press the Play button though?  Does it go back to review mode and you have to press it again to get <ALT> mode ?  Or is it one of those long press / short press things as hinted at by reyalp in the previous post ?  Seems like some CHDK functions need to be in shooting mode to work (e.g. bad_pixel)

This button is not otherwise used by CHDK. The most other possible keys are used by CHDK.
    Is the DISP  button actually used for something by CHDK ?   (yes ... I could probably google that question).

Offline msl

• CHDK inside
  • Publish
    « Reply #4 on: 26 / August / 2011, 10:31:14 »
    Can't remember what happens in shooting mode when you press the Play button though?
    Short press toggle <ALT> mode, long press normal play mode. Works fine for me as option for alternate ALT button.

For examble the SX220/230 uses the combination DISP. + FUNC.SET by default. Remember you must click shortly this combination. This understand a CHDK newbie not really. The most asked question in various (German) forums is how do I get into the <ALT> mode.

Is the DISP  button actually used for something by CHDK ?   (yes ... I could probably google that question).
    For cameras without ERASE button is the DISP. button the shortcut to toggle RAW - an important function. Some debug functions also uses the DISP. button.

msl
    German CHDK pages:  CHDK forum | CHDK inside | CHDK Twitter News by msl | Download CHDK-DE (Autobuild)

• Publish
    « Reply #5 on: 26 / August / 2011, 12:08:59 »
    For examble the SX220/230 uses the combination DISP. + FUNC.SET by default. Remember you must click shortly this combination. This understand a CHDK newbie not really. The most asked question in various (German) forums is how do I get into the <ALT> mode.
    Thank you - now I understand the problem even better.  On the SD940,  you only have to press the DISP button to get <ALT> mode.
    For cameras without ERASE button is the DISP. button the shortcut to toggle RAW - an important function. Some debug functions also uses the DISP. button.
    And the single press <ALT> mode would explain why those functions don't work on the SD940 then.

As we lack a more formal voting process,  can I suggest that "we" treat this suggestion as accepted move forward on that basis unless somebody posts an objection otherwise ?

Offline funnel

• Publish
    « Reply #6 on: 26 / August / 2011, 16:31:05 »
    I agree. Seems a better solution. I'll try to change the default button and do some tests to see how it goes.

Offline reyalp

• Publish
    « Reply #7 on: 26 / August / 2011, 22:47:11 »
    Just FWIW (because people will probably blame it on CHDK), the default Canon behavior of the play button is somewhat convoluted.

On D10

off->power on into play mode
    play mode (never switched to record) -> power off
    record mode -> switch to play
    play mode (already in record before) -> record mode

Don't forget what the H stands for.

• Publish
    « Reply #8 on: 26 / August / 2011, 23:46:36 »
    On the G10 (no CHDK), to start record mode press  on/off switch -> then press play to enter play mode -> press play again -> power off.

I figure that once we get them this far,  they will either be CHDK junkies or nothing we can do will hook them regardless.

Offline msl

• CHDK inside
  • Publish
    « Reply #9 on: 27 / August / 2011, 04:59:10 »
    On D10

off->power on into play mode
    play mode (never switched to record) -> power off
    record mode -> switch to play

The same behavior at the SX220/SX230 without CHDK. With CHDK has the play button the same functions, but you must press the button long. By short pressing you get the chdk function. I think this is a standard of all the cameras have a play button.

msl