Remote control Android - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Remote control Android

• 23 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: Remote control Android
« Reply #10 on: 31 / December / 2012, 15:10:26 »
Advertisements
The disadvantage is of course that it only works with the s110..
There are a number of other canon models with wifi, such as the elph 530 / ixus510 and elph 320 / ixus 240. Also the ancient sd 430 / ixus wireless.

However, hacking the network stack would probably require some effort, and so far no one has even attempted to port these. (santa failed to deliver any of them to my mailbox :()

An alternative to the netbook option Phil mentioned to use a small linux SOC like raspberry pi. chdkptp runs fine on raspberry pi and would be easy to build on similar systems, so technically you could do remote control from your android device with connectbot and ssh, or a vnc app. A web interface talking to a chdkptp backend would be nicer though.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #11 on: 31 / December / 2012, 15:50:48 »
An alternative to the netbook option Phil mentioned to use a small linux SOC like raspberry pi.

Slightly off-topic but you may have inadvertantly answered something I was thinking about earlier today.
I have ordered two 'keychain' HD cameras for a project.

They can be configured over USB using a Java programme.

Is the Raspberry Pi the smallest available device with USB that will run Java ?
Guess I need a lightweight, portable display as well.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #12 on: 31 / December / 2012, 16:20:37 »
Is the Raspberry Pi the smallest available device with USB that will run Java ?
Guess I need a lightweight, portable display as well.
Java doesn't necessarily mean "runs anywhere that has a java jvm" IIRC java support was a bit of a mess on raspberry pi initially, I'm no sure what the current state is. From this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=27634 it looks like if the configuration program works with openjdk, it should be OK.

I doubt raspberry pi is the absolute smallest option, others would be things like gumstix, beagleboard etc.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Nikon

« Reply #13 on: 05 / January / 2013, 08:07:07 »
The disadvantage is of course that it only works with the s110..
There are a number of other canon models with wifi, such as the elph 530 / ixus510 and elph 320 / ixus 240. Also the ancient sd 430 / ixus wireless.

However, hacking the network stack would probably require some effort, and so far no one has even attempted to port these. (santa failed to deliver any of them to my mailbox :()

An alternative to the netbook option Phil mentioned to use a small linux SOC like raspberry pi. chdkptp runs fine on raspberry pi and would be easy to build on similar systems, so technically you could do remote control from your android device with connectbot and ssh, or a vnc app. A web interface talking to a chdkptp backend would be nicer though.

Well, "hacking the network stack" only requires finding the standard socket functions. Should be doable with a reasonable effort.
Interesting to know that so many cameras support wifi.

« Reply #14 on: 05 / January / 2013, 09:47:26 »
Well, "hacking the network stack" only requires finding the standard socket functions. Should be doable with a reasonable effort.
Do we have a volunteer to tackle this then ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Nikon

« Reply #15 on: 05 / January / 2013, 14:36:10 »
Do we have a volunteer to tackle this then ?

First I obviously have to port CHDK to the S110. But yes, it is something which I have been thinking about doing.
Just remote trigger might be doable without reverse-engineering the complete socket interface.
But complete socket capability would open up endless possibilities for CHDK.

Offline lapser

« Reply #16 on: 05 / January / 2013, 15:42:29 »
I think the best solution might be the Toshiba Flashair wireless SD card. It already has an Android app that can download any file, not just pictures, off the SD card. The card creates a wireless hot spot that you can connect to it with any browser.

There's also a programming API that allows the camera to access other features of the card. One of the new features talked about in the press is peer to peer communication. That would mean 2 or more cameras could communicate. I.E. one master camera could trigger any number of slave cameras to shoot a picture at the same time. I emailed Toshiba asking for the API documentation.

I already ordered one from Amazon for $55 (8GB). It should be here next week, so I'll post something after I test it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AARIEVK/

http://www.toshiba-components.com/FlashAir/index.html
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

Offline Nikon

« Reply #17 on: 06 / January / 2013, 08:52:46 »
In an optimum world maybe both?
Built in wifi for cameras which have it, and the sd card for cameras which dont have built in.
Ideally with the same API in chdk.

Now that would be a challenge.

Offline FaKK

« Reply #18 on: 09 / January / 2013, 14:28:33 »
Back to the roots, just a remote shutter via USB, so you dont need the Audio - USB adapter anymore?
Would this require a rooted android device?

Offline Nikon

« Reply #19 on: 09 / January / 2013, 16:38:21 »
An idea: If a android device supports usb otg, then it would be sufficient to switch the otg port between host and device mode to trigger the camera. Actual usb communication would not be necessary.

But then again, usb otg support in android devices is probably very rare....