G9 turn off LCD timelapse - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

G9 turn off LCD timelapse

• 6 Replies
G9 turn off LCD timelapse
« on: 17 / September / 2011, 21:34:21 »
Advertisements
Hi guys,

I have a G9 since 3 years ago and I love it :)

Well, I installed CHDK and I would like to do some time lapse "movie".
I downlaoded the script "Time Lapse Photography" (found on this website) and it works really well.

I just want to modify it so that the LCD screen is off during I'm taking the picture (to save some battery).
First, in the Canon menu, I could disable the "preview" after taking a picture.

Then I check on Internet and I found :
A)
*set the shortcut to sleep
press "print"
sleep 150
release "print"

B)
set_backlight(0)

But after taking the first picture, the lcd screen turned on.

Do you guys have any other solution ?
Tks

Re: G9 turn off LCD timelapse
« Reply #1 on: 17 / September / 2011, 21:58:36 »
Well, I installed CHDK and I would like to do some time lapse "movie".
I downloaded the script "Time Lapse Photography" (found on this website) and it works really well.

A link to where you got that script from would be helpful here.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 17 / September / 2011, 22:00:33 »
If the G9 can turn the display off with the disp button (for shooting through the viewfinder) that should be the best option.  This turns off all the live view hardware in addition to the backlight, which saves a significant amount of power. Most cameras with an optical viewfinder can do this. Turning off the backlight alone doesn't actually save much.

If not, you can turn the display off after every shot, or simply set the canon sleep interval to something very short. If you are doing thousands of shots, this might not be good for the backlight hardware (if it is CCFL based, I don't know)

Plugging something into the av port will also turn off the display, but again, this doesn't actually save much power. On cameras where the AV port isn't combined with the USB, this can be any non-conductive item that fits, there's a mechanical switch in the plug.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 17 / September / 2011, 22:12:46 »
Thanks you for your answers.

A link to where you got that script from would be helpful here.
This script :
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts:Time_Lapse_Photography

If the G9 can turn the display off with the disp button (for shooting through the viewfinder) that should be the best option.
Yes, with the "disp" button I can turn off the display. But when the script starts, after the first picture, the display will turn on again.

you can turn the display off after every shot
A little bit difficult because I would like to take many pictures while riding my bicycle ;)

The only solution would be to insert something into the AV port ? Now I don't have the cable but I'll try that.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #4 on: 17 / September / 2011, 22:20:31 »
Thanks you for your answers.
If the G9 can turn the display off with the disp button (for shooting through the viewfinder) that should be the best option.
Yes, with the "disp" button I can turn off the display. But when the script starts, after the first picture, the display will turn on again.
That's strange, my a540 leaves the display off. Maybe there is a setting for this somewhere ? Maybe on the more expensive models there's a sensor to see if your face is next to the OVF ? If that's the case, you might be able to cover it.

edit:
If you are using the second version of the script, it clicks display every shot, which isn't likely to be what you want. To turn the display off using that key from script, you need to know which mode the camera is in. You can get this from a propcase: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PropertyCase but in your case, just turning it off before starting the script should be fine.

It really wouldn't make sense for the canon firmware to turn on the display after each shot, and the g9 manual makes no mention of this.
you can turn the display off after every shot
A little bit difficult because I would like to take many pictures while riding my bicycle ;)
I meant in the script. You could also have the script press the disp button after each shot.
« Last Edit: 17 / September / 2011, 22:32:03 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #5 on: 17 / September / 2011, 22:26:05 »
This script :
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/Scripts:Time_Lapse_Photography
The second script on that page show how you can use the Display button to turn off the display between shots.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #6 on: 17 / September / 2011, 22:45:21 »
If you are using the second version of the script, it clicks display every shot, which isn't likely to be what you want. To turn the display off using that key from script, you need to know which mode the camera is in.
The second script on that page show how you can use the Display button to turn off the display between shots.

AH ! Thanks you very much !

Now it's working.
1) I removed the line : click "display" from the script
2) I turn off the display using "disp" button.
3) start the script

Thanks again for your help and your quick reply :)
I'm really happy. Now I'll try to make a good mount to put on my bike!