Power adaptor don't work - page 2 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Power adaptor don't work

• 25 Replies

Offline Pier

Re: Power adaptor don't work
« Reply #10 on: 21 / September / 2011, 08:17:48 »
Advertisements
thepanoguy,
Maybe You are rihgt.Maybe there is "the dog", but I dare not to experiment.
I have written in previous posts:
-"Maybe this voltage via the jack must be higher than 3.15, but how much ??"
I have not external rezistor in series. 1Kohm is measured with digital Ohmmeter with no plug inserted, between
center pin of the jack and  + terminal in the "box" where we insert battery.It is inside the Camera.
Maybe this 1Khom ...little more or less is not a rezistor, or it is, connected inside on the PCB to semiconductor, to sense the input voltave present on the jack and the battery to be override..I think so (my job is maintenance, troubleshoting and repair of electronic equipment).
If someone know what is output voltage of Canon AC Adapter ACK 800, I'll try with same voltage.But i won't walk around 3-5 volts to check this -it is very dangeorus for the Camera.
10x again.
« Last Edit: 21 / September / 2011, 08:20:29 by Pier »

Offline Pier

« Reply #11 on: 21 / September / 2011, 09:00:33 »
Finaly I found what the voltage for many Canon cameras using ACK 800 must be.Including SX130IS .
3.2 V !
No chance for me.I tryed 3.3v -no success.Will shot the dog with two Magnum size wood batery !

thepanoguy ,
Please excuse me.I missed your link - sorry.There is very interesting info.I saw it right now !!
« Last Edit: 21 / September / 2011, 09:06:41 by Pier »

Offline Pauls9

• S3 IS
« Reply #12 on: 21 / September / 2011, 11:50:56 »
It's possible that there's a diode in series with the external power input to protect against reverse polarity. If so, you'd need another 0.7 volts or so for your input.

Offline Pier

« Reply #13 on: 21 / September / 2011, 14:13:23 »
Pauls9,
Someting is wrong in my SX130Is after the center pin on this DC external jack.
Canon wrote in the SX130Is Manual:

" The following camera accessories are sold separately. Some accessories are
not sold in some regions, or may no longer be available.
Power Supplies
AC Adapter Kit ACK800
This kit lets you power the camera using
household power. Recommended for
powering the camera for an extended
period of time or when connecting to a
computer or printer. Cannot be used to
charge the batteries inside the camera."

No need of 0.7 V over there.All is clear - ACK800 with his output voltage of 3.2 v must engage the camera.
10x
« Last Edit: 21 / September / 2011, 14:14:56 by Pier »

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #14 on: 21 / September / 2011, 14:16:47 »
If so, you'd need another 0.7 volts or so for your input.
The output voltage of the Canon power supply is 3.15V or 3.2V, so no need to increase the supply voltage much above that.

@Pier:
- The wire of your power supply should not be too long, and the copper diameter should be adequate to minimize the cable resistance.
- Have you tried to measure the current draw of the camera during the tests with the external supply?
If there's no current, then something is not connected. The problem may be either (in) the plug, or something inside the camera.
- The power input jack may not be wired directly to the battery compartment, but in case it is, the 1kOhm may be sign of a fault (and the reason why your setup doesn't work).
- The ACK800 supply is used for a lot of older Canon cameras too (those with two AA battery). If you have one (older Canon camera operating from 2xAA battery), you could prove your power supply is working.

Someting is wrong in my SX130Is after the center pin on this DC external jack.
You could try to stick that resistor (6 Ohms) into your plug, the plug could be faulty too.

Offline Pier

« Reply #15 on: 21 / September / 2011, 14:33:43 »
srsa_4c ,
All You said was done.
After sticking the rezistor direct on the plug, voltage drop only with 0.1 v (100 mV).
Not able to measure anything with my adapter.The camera is like a dead horse :)
No curent flow..nothing, only 3.2 v persist...
Last test was with 3.6 v output - same situation.Camera still working fine with battery.
So - 10x to trying help me.I break all test for now and will rest for a while.Will continue some day...
Will take a look inside camera maybe....
« Last Edit: 21 / September / 2011, 14:37:07 by Pier »

« Reply #16 on: 21 / September / 2011, 21:40:23 »

Offline Pier

« Reply #17 on: 22 / September / 2011, 02:41:53 »
@thepanoguy ,
I have said -with the osciloscope output voltage is very clear of artefacts, noises e.t.c.
Like a fresh charged battery.
But with batteries on other end of the plug - same story.The SX130Is i like a dead.
Only look inside around the jack will help - if there any diode or semiconductor is defective.
Will see later.
Abandoned for now ! Thanks.

« Reply #18 on: 22 / September / 2011, 05:56:22 »
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-258510.html
http://www.nextag.com/Canon-ACK-800-Power-4241775/specs-html

The LM317 is rated for 1.2 to 37 volts at 1.5amps maximum current.
Without a circuit diagram it is impossible to diagnose your situation.
It sounds like the regulator is shutting down under load.
Did you bolt a heat sink to the regulator? 
What are the voltage output and the current rating of your transformer?

Beware that at 3.2 V, the LM317 can not deliver 1.5 A, if my memory serves well. Not even 0.35 A needed for 1 Watt powerLEDs. In order to squeeze out more than 0.5A out of it, you must use a higher voltage (which is of course out of question if you need 3.2V). You can find very useful datasheets about the LM317 with little graphs showing the maximum load at a given voltage.

« Reply #19 on: 23 / September / 2011, 00:14:09 »