S95 - is it possible to shoot video remotely and monitor live on a Mac? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

S95 - is it possible to shoot video remotely and monitor live on a Mac?

• 2 Replies
Advertisements
i think the subject line says it but i want to use the S95 like a camcorder and see the live viewfinder feed on a laptop connected via USB and then determine when to start/stop shooting.

Is this possible with CHDK? and is there a page that just lists what you can do with the S95 CHDK? - just a simple feature list.. i am newbie and have not even begun to do anything with CHDK just found out about it and read a little on the forum - it seems quite involved.

i'm not adverse to getting stuck in but i want it to know it can definitely work before i try.

thanks for any help

Offline reyalp

Re: S95 - is it possible to shoot video remotely and monitor live on a Mac?
« Reply #1 on: 21 / September / 2011, 23:43:44 »
i think the subject line says it but i want to use the S95 like a camcorder and see the live viewfinder feed on a laptop connected via USB and then determine when to start/stop shooting.
No. There is some preliminary/experimental code to do live view over USB, but the only client software that supports this is windows only. See this thread http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=4338.585

If you have video in capability on your mac, you could probably use that to see the display and control the camera via CHDKs PTP extension, but at a minimum you'd still have to build one of the client applications from source. Someone told me in IRC they did get ptpcam to work on a mac, so it should be possible.
Is this possible with CHDK? and is there a page that just lists what you can do with the S95 CHDK? - just a simple feature list..
There is no such thing. In general, most features are supported on all cameras, but each port has it's own individual quirks. The manual http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_User_Manual covers most of the important features.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline zeno

Re: S95 - is it possible to shoot video remotely and monitor live on a Mac?
« Reply #2 on: 22 / September / 2011, 12:56:47 »
I spent some time trying to get ptpcam working natively on a mac. The problem seems to be that OSX takes ownership of the usb port when you plug a camera in. It's certainly possible to build a Cocoa/Quartz app using the ImageKit framework that will display thumbnails and info about the photos on the camera and let you upload them to the Mac (in fact it's trivial - you don't have to write any code at all, just plug things together). But I couldn't find any way to get at the underlying toolkit code and 'subclass'/extend it which is what would have to be done to get ptpcam-type things done.

It is possible to use an Intel Mac to do what you want - by running Windows under OSX  (e.g. using VMware Fusion or Parallels) - in fact I've been doing just that this afternoon (with an experimental version of SDM that supports the chdk ptp extensions).
« Last Edit: 22 / September / 2011, 13:01:42 by zeno »
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit