Have fun and utility with the camera - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Have fun and utility with the camera

• 53 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Have fun and utility with the camera
« Reply #10 on: 04 / March / 2008, 04:52:35 »
Advertisements
yes, that is a good idea, i like that alot. so, next feature implementation should be the possibility to load different flavors of chdk onto one sd card and make them "switchable". would be a great benefit for all.

« Reply #11 on: 04 / March / 2008, 06:51:22 »
Ah ! This has turned into an interesting and fundamental discussion - reminds me of computer history, with fixed, non-expandable RAM ...
GrAnd
....But it can be at least packed or separated to an external file.

That will provide some 'breathing space' for the memory load, but what about the future ? As more and more people come
up with usefull and/or nice additions, problems will most likely increase.

It seems inevitable in the long run, that some mechanism must be implemented to load executable code dynamically;
that would require heavy duty ARM assembly coding (just guessing - far beyond my reach anyway).

In a simpler approach, games and/or other non-photo related functions could be integrated into a stripped CHDK core, if necessary (memorywise) on a per game/function basis.
The stripped core would contain only the boot and the gui functions (that is, all photo related stuff stripped out).
The main 'photo CHDK' would then be able to boot straight into each of these alternative bins/firs.
As a beneficial side effect, you could of course also boot into other CHDK versions/configurations.

wim

Smells like linux, my dream.
Making something like that would be as pioneers of the revolution of free digital photography. No joke, I can imagine the effect that would have a similar development. If we give at the simple cameras (limited origin) tools with functions that are at levels high-end (like mine A530), all manufacturers should take note of the need to improve and strengthen the offering software, otherwise it would be too forward canon. Imagine that you with an entry-level canon from 100euro you can take raw, zebra functions, games,an indipendent new operating system, programs like as symbian (I remember in my old Nokia6600 everything works with 6MB of RAM). Is a killer application in the world of cameras.

What has been done already, it is already a tremendous step forward. Time ago I bought a small camera, and with chdk I discovered the actual potential that this gives me. I was undecided whether to buy a camera better than other brand, but certainly rest with Canon for life, and chdk allows me to do things that I could do only with high-end cameras. Is not all that fantastic? It is like comparing winVista with linux. Perhaps you have the keys for revolution in the world of software cameras, more competitive and functional, free from commercial strategy and major producers, especially for certain segments of the market,   based only on the real capacity optical and mechanical properties of the product.

This is true freedom, but not as symbian such as Linux.

Do not worry if discuss whether it is better games or raw, we are only beginning, there will be a dedicated sdk and anyone propose their own software, gpl or not.

Let me know what you think, but we must not forget that everything is the result of free people offering their skills to improve things (like eMule), we should thank them  instead of complaining about the Bugs.

Meanwhile i'm going to polish the magic button, which I had never used before (alt button).

thanks for all.

« Reply #12 on: 04 / March / 2008, 07:25:18 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:18:26 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #13 on: 04 / March / 2008, 08:50:28 »
Include Packman in the poll. I bet it's not a tuff game to implement. One of these days CHDK will play WAV files with sounds of
ghosts beeing eaten.

« Reply #14 on: 04 / March / 2008, 09:09:17 »
that would be very nice ;)
--
Alejandro

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #15 on: 04 / March / 2008, 11:07:48 »
@Barney
@PhyrePhox
@GrAnd

Ok, first steps: I ripped the games from trunk#314 to check the gain, here's the results:

Trunk #314    Trunk #314 stripped*   Difference    Unit

A620 diskboot.bin     140108                 121980                18128      bytes
A620       ps.fir          140856                 122728                18128      bytes

A630 diskboot.bin     142056                 123928                18128      bytes
A630       ps.fir          142804                 124676                18128      bytes

* stripped (from core/): gui_reversi.c/.h, gui_sokoban.c/.h, gui_sokoban_levels.h;
  other changes: in core/gui.c:
                       16,  17 -> commented out 2 includes
                     1259,1262 -> commented out 2 calls
                     1471,1474 -> commented out 2 calls
                     1838,1849 -> commented out function bodies
                 in core/Makefile:
                       15,  16 -> removed gui_reversi.o / gui_sokoban.o from OBJS

Now for step 2, the reverse, that's gonna take more time ...

wim
« Last Edit: 04 / March / 2008, 11:15:40 by whim »

« Reply #16 on: 04 / March / 2008, 11:47:39 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:19:23 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline whim

« Reply #17 on: 04 / March / 2008, 11:54:45 »
@Barney

It's not gonna float around - it was just to get an idea of the amount of headroom this
would buy us. BTW you're right, I might as well test it !  :D

wim

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #18 on: 04 / March / 2008, 12:14:41 »
whim, dont invest too much time into stripping chdk, imo first it should be investigated IF it is possible to swap different chdk versions on a single SD card. because if not, well, i dont know. just wanted to say that :D

Offline whim

« Reply #19 on: 04 / March / 2008, 12:35:02 »
@PhyrePhox

Of course it is possible, if you put a .bin and a .fir you can already swap with CHDK out-of-the-box, right ?
It is just a matter of speed/convenience: what we want is something like:

Rename diskboot.bin -> diskboot.1 and CHDK -> CHDK.1
Rename diskboot.gam -> diskboot.bin  and CHDK.GAM -> CHDK
shutdown_and_reboot()

I'm pretty sure that that would not pose probs for the bootimages, I don't think CHDK keeps them open;
for the CHDK folder, it's another matter, it writes it's CFG there; even that should be feasible though,
after all, open file handles can be closed, can't they ? It's just a matter of finding out how.

wim

PS Stripped version runs OK, maybe I can recycle  :haha it's game entries to trigger a reboot ....
     But you're right I'll try that first (Wasn't gonna start on the other strip job yet anyway)
     Oh btw, I'm also working on a GUI for the dev.kit - as a spin-off I'll hope to make an auto-update
     checker for the trunk.
« Last Edit: 04 / March / 2008, 12:41:51 by whim »