Have fun and utility with the camera - page 4 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Have fun and utility with the camera

• 53 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: Have fun and utility with the camera
« Reply #30 on: 05 / March / 2008, 13:42:31 »
Advertisements
@PhyrePhox
@Wontolla

Great, so changing the system files should work, that leaves only the cold boot (said the optimist  :D)
In the meantime I've been trying to understand the boot process a bit better by trying to follow the DryOs dev thread,
I found this post: DryOS - some success especially helpful.  Did you guys know that most of CHDK is compiled as thumb ARM code
(16 bits instructions),  but the loader part in native (32 bits) ?
I have also drawn up a chart of the memory space in the cam as I understand it, attached to this post.
My latest idea is, that maybe we can get the cam to reboot by letting it jump to non-existing memory
(that is, between the RAM and the Canon ROM). I guess I should just ask the DryOS guys, going by their thread
they're great with ARM assembly

wim

edit: just put up a help request in General Discussion and Assistance here: @ARM assembly gurus: How can we do a "cold reboot" from CHDK ?

« Last Edit: 06 / March / 2008, 06:50:35 by whim »

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #31 on: 05 / March / 2008, 14:32:12 »
Nice table, is it to scale?

That DryOS post is loooooooooooong!

32Mb RAM, that's what my good old HP 48G calculator had.
It reminds me: In those days, brave fellas use to "upgrade" their calculator's memory from 32Mb to 256Mb by welding a memory chip just above the original one inside the calculator and it worked! They could keep much more games instead of downloading from PC every time. Could it be possible with the cameras?

Im delirious, it's late, going home.

Offline mx3

« Reply #32 on: 05 / March / 2008, 21:44:48 »
I can foretell CHDK will be without built-in games, text viewer, rawmerge, memory dumper etc.
I would say it will be very soon.
skype: max_dtc. ICQ: 125985663, email: win.drivers(at)gmail, eVB decompiler

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #33 on: 06 / March / 2008, 07:14:46 »
mx3, is this your glimpse in the future as in "a bad thing will happen unto the community and chdk" or "hey, i like the idea of having different chdk builds" or did you say it without any personal emotion involved?
i see it a bit different from your point of view: there will be special builds for special needs.

by the way if we have this chdk switcher, we should include options like: "after loading ANOTHER firmware, should config file be loaded as well (from same location) or reset to defaults or should it be kept?". last option is only suitable for compatible builds (meaning: no change in menu structures).
the "save & restore different chdk settings" feature would be incorporated along the road, a feature thats often been asked for.

Offline mx3

« Reply #34 on: 06 / March / 2008, 07:19:00 »
"hey, i like the idea of having different chdk builds"
something like this :-)
there will be special builds for special needs?
no.
there will be one build :-)

« Reply #35 on: 06 / March / 2008, 07:22:09 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:20:35 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline mx3

« Reply #36 on: 06 / March / 2008, 07:27:24 »
I can foretell CHDK will be without built-in games, text viewer, rawmerge, memory dumper etc.
Now why would anyone want to lose the use of the text viewer and rawmerge features?

keyword is built-in.

nobody is going to throw away anything.
keep tunned :-)

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #37 on: 06 / March / 2008, 07:35:01 »
@Barney

I don't think you're gonna lose anything, it's just a question of modularization, to optimize memory use.
Think about it this way: the smaller the CHDK base footprint is, the larger applications/games/features can
be allowed to grow. You would still be able to choose a startup image that contains your favourite setup.
This is all about giving the user more not less options  :D

wim

edit: Oops! beaten to it again  :D
« Last Edit: 06 / March / 2008, 07:40:42 by whim »

« Reply #38 on: 06 / March / 2008, 07:40:43 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 13:20:56 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

Offline mx3

« Reply #39 on: 06 / March / 2008, 08:01:23 »
Think about it this way: the smaller the CHDK base footprint is, the larger applications/games/features can be allowed to grow.
indeed.
also you are right only particularly.
lets see. build 34. free memory : ~300kb
hey. that is alot of memory - why to change something? :-)

but lets remember unused memory buffer used by Canon's routines to prepare raw/jpg files.
it is unused most the time.
it is of 6-12 Mb (depending on camera model) !!!
and it is not used when you play sokoban or view text files.
so... why not to "modularize" some parts of CHDK and not to use FREE memory when it is indeed FREE?
« Last Edit: 06 / March / 2008, 08:04:45 by mx3 »