Powershot SX150 IS Porting Thread - page 18 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Powershot SX150 IS Porting Thread

• 279 Replies
Re: Powershot SX150 IS Porting Thread
« Reply #170 on: 28 / April / 2012, 10:01:08 »
Advertisements
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think my150 is kind of cute and it feels great.  For a camera, how it feels in the hands is maybe more important than how it looks.  Here is someone who also likes it:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/powershot-sx150-is/steves-conclusion-163.html

hmmmm ....

http://gizmodo.com/5904467/cringe-at-the-ugliest-cameras-ever-made

scroll down to see the sx150 in its glory ...

« Reply #171 on: 03 / May / 2012, 22:19:27 »
I agree with the comments and as a proud at the time owner I still can not understand how they forgot the sony mavica camera. I still remember the sound it makes for about 5 seconds while it saves the picture.

« Reply #172 on: 14 / May / 2012, 23:09:47 »
DPReview reviews the 150.  They don't like battery life, but don't seem to realize that NIMH rechargeables are really the only batteries to use.  Alkalines suck for digital cameras.  Even so it gets a good review.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx150-is/

« Reply #173 on: 28 / May / 2012, 11:42:45 »
Hi There!

I have had troubles with the SX150. If i set the zoom_point to 127, the focus works, but if i set the focus back to any value, the focus doesn't go back to normal, all zoom_points that i set after that leave the image unfocused.

May anyone help me?

Offline pj

« Reply #174 on: 19 / June / 2012, 13:40:07 »
Hi everyone,
I have purchased the red SX150 and I'm more than pleased with it. But one thing bothers me. I don't print photos anymore, I only display them on monitor or TV - both widescreen. Therefore I wanted a camera which shoots in the 16:9 ratio. No problem of course because all new cameras work in this mode. I have always thought that in this mode the photo is taken with the maximum horizontal pixel amount and only the amount of the vertical pixels is reduced. I have checked all Canon Powershots specifications on the Canon website and this rule works for all of them - except my SX150. The pixel amount when shooting at max. resolution is 4320 × 3240 (14 MP).  But in the widescreen it's only 3 744 × 2 104. All other models with the same sensor (e. g. A2200, A3200, SX210) have the widescreen mode set to 4 320 × 2 432 pixels. That's more than 2.5 MP than SX150.
Do you think it could be changed with CHDK so the widescreen mode would work with 4 320 × 2 432 pixels?
Thanks
Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker.

« Reply #175 on: 24 / June / 2012, 17:56:28 »
For the time being (and as an option) I might suggest you place the attached 16x9 grid file into the Grids folder in the CHDK folder.  Load that grid from the OSD parameters > Grids menu, then shoot full-size (4320x3240) and you'll be able to crop to what you composed using the 16x9 grid.  No, not a perfect solution, but I display this grid by default just so that I can decide at the time I take a photo if I want to use it or not.

Also, as I am an SX130 user, I would like to get a DNG file from an SX150 to study.  Any photo would work, it doesn't matter the content, I just want the file to experiment with.  Could someone please post one somewhere where I could download it, as it would be too big (in MB) for my email to accept.  A big thanks to anyone who can help me out.

Mike 

Offline pj

« Reply #176 on: 25 / June / 2012, 11:37:35 »
Hi Mike,
I appreciate your help but I hate any kind of post processing. I just want to take pictures in and save them on PC. That's all. I'm too busy (and a bit lazy I must say) to crop every photo I've taken.
I haven't tried the CHDK on my SX150 yet so I can't help you with the DNG file. The possibility to take the pictures in 16:9 wih 4320x2432 pixels would be a reason for me to try CHDK. Your post begins with "For the time being..." Does it mean that I can hope for fullfilling my wish?
PJ

Offline reyalp

« Reply #177 on: 25 / June / 2012, 13:43:02 »
Hi Mike,
I appreciate your help but I hate any kind of post processing. I just want to take pictures in and save them on PC. That's all. I'm too busy (and a bit lazy I must say) to crop every photo I've taken.
I haven't tried the CHDK on my SX150 yet so I can't help you with the DNG file. The possibility to take the pictures in 16:9 wih 4320x2432 pixels would be a reason for me to try CHDK. Your post begins with "For the time being..." Does it mean that I can hope for fullfilling my wish?
CHDK does not currently have control over the size of the jpeg output, and it is unlikely that this would be added any time soon. It's not an area of the canon firmware we currently override, and it hasn't been reverse engineered extensively.

If you want to crop every photo, it would certainly be possible to set up an automated process to do this on your PC. This would be a whole lot less work than reverse engineering the jpeg process to enough to control the output size.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #178 on: 25 / June / 2012, 16:42:00 »
pj:

I've made you something for which you'll now have to use CHDK.  CanonCrop is a customized lossless JPEG 16x9 cropping tool for the SX150.  Use the previously furnished grid in CHDK to compose your shots, then use this utility to losslessly crop those images to 4320x2432.  It is extremely fast and easy to use (and needs no installation).  Just drop your JPEG photos onto the CanonCrop icon and copies are losslesly cropped.  All metadata is retained and the cropped photos have their file name appended with "-16x9".

I might also suggest an added benefit to using CHDK in your situation - Superfine (98) quality.  Bump the JPEG quality to 98 in CHDK to get back that tiny bit of quality sacrificed when Canon eliminated that compression setting (their is no Superfine mode on these models).

Any questions, please ask.

Mike
http://phototools.co.nr
CanonCrop alternate download:  https://www.box.com/s/6e8e6614930a4a1ccb9a

CanonCrop can accept a maximum of about 24 files at one time (this is a Windows imposed limitation)
« Last Edit: 25 / June / 2012, 16:52:42 by Mike Lee »

« Reply #179 on: 25 / August / 2012, 17:49:57 »
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is SX150 problem alone. set_zoom(27) and taking photos results in distortion like this explanatory image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pincushion_distortion.svg

If I try the same settings, but set zoom manually, photos are OK. Something is not repositioned or recalculated when set_zoom() is issued. Note that picture on the "preview" (before pressing shoot button) looks OK, it is distorted at time of taking the photo.

Please help, I scanned a whole book without noticing this in advance.   :'(