Powershot SX150 IS Porting Thread - page 17 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Powershot SX150 IS Porting Thread

• 279 Replies
Re: Powershot SX150 IS Porting Thread
« Reply #160 on: 22 / March / 2012, 17:38:40 »
Advertisements
Another feature: USB cable remote control - I cannot get this work. I am not sure my cable is OK, because I have nothing else to test with. (I built the cable seen in the Wiki, with CR2032 battery + switch)
You can tests basic functionality by using the standard USB cable that can connect your camera to your PC.  Plugging the cable in and out will simulate the action of the USB remote switch and let you know if you have CHDK configured correctly on your camera.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #161 on: 23 / March / 2012, 01:49:23 »
Autobuild 1760 should fix the movie crash problem.

I have also changed the startup behavior to the CHDK standard. This means
* If you just click the power  or play button, the camera will start in play mode.
* If you hold the power button, the camera will start in rec mode.
You can always press the shutter or video button or move the mode dial to get to rec mode.

Previously, holding play would start in play mode and every other case would start in rec mode. This is not desirable because the lens opening unexpectedly could cause damage to the camera.

I am considering changing the alt shortcut to the "play" button. This would mean a short press on play would open the alt menu, while a long press would have the normal firmware behavior. We discussed standardizing on this earlier for cameras without a print.

edit:
After using it with play as the alt button, I definitely think that is better than a combo.
« Last Edit: 23 / March / 2012, 03:06:12 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #162 on: 23 / March / 2012, 11:50:28 »
I agree that the combo is a pain.
I would vote for the video button however.  I think that is what is used on the ELPH300.  I prefer it because I seldom use the button to capture videos, whereas I (and everyone else) use play quite a lot.
I do see the point of standardizing on play, a button that is on most (all?) current powershots.  I don't know if this is true for video.

Jon

I am considering changing the alt shortcut to the "play" button. This would mean a short press on play would open the alt menu, while a long press would have the normal firmware behavior. We discussed standardizing on this earlier for cameras without a print.

edit:
After using it with play as the alt button, I definitely think that is better than a combo.

« Reply #163 on: 24 / March / 2012, 16:45:10 »
In release 1760: "Make card bootable.." turns off the camera, so I cannot try the new changes.

BTW, do I need to start over the whole installation from "low level format" and everything every time? I cannot see the "how to update your install" in the Wiki.   http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card   So I started over from point 1, but now it cannot be finished.

USB: yes, when connecting to PC the "half-press" happens. Regardless how long I connect it. Is that OK? My battery measures 4.8 V (despite being 3V CR2032), so this should be enough. Voltage does not change when pressing the button. I've cut the original cable of the camera and connected to red and black. Seems to match the connection of the method mentioned in   http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote_Cable  (that says to cut an extender cable, I didn't read carefully).

ALT key: VIDEO button would have the disadvantage of losing important moments if you get in ALT by mistake instead starting recording. PLAY button is usually not so urgent, so an extra round to ALT-mistake is acceptable. But you are right, I also use play more often.

Thanks all in advance!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #164 on: 24 / March / 2012, 16:58:43 »
In release 1760: "Make card bootable.." turns off the camera, so I cannot try the new changes.
Nothing related to this function has changed, and it works fine for me.

You can still load with firm update to test. If it continues to crash when you use "make bootable", please get a ROMLOG as described here http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Debugging#Camera_crash_logs_.28romlog.29
BTW, do I need to start over the whole installation from "low level format" and everything every time? I cannot see the "how to update your install" in the Wiki.   http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card   So I started over from point 1, but now it cannot be finished.
No, absolutely not. You just need to copy the new files.

Even when preparing the card, nothing in the CHDK install requires a low level format BTW, a regular format is fine.

Regarding the alt key, i'll try to make it selectable as video or play. The long press on play is not very long, so I didn't find it very inconvenient.

edit:
Added adjustable alt support in trunk r1764 and release r1765. The default alt key is play, video and display are also selectable. I did not leave the combo as an option, because it can't really be done without also getting the original effect of one of the keys.
« Last Edit: 24 / March / 2012, 18:18:34 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #165 on: 25 / March / 2012, 14:31:35 »
Hi! Thanks for replies. For "bootable": I started over with FSCK from scratch and it worked with fresh partition. From now I will not do the "low level format" just copy over the files. :-) (Doc says low level on the above link.)

Video: works cool, ALT: much better, thank you!

Last remaining issue for me for now is USB remote. Any ideas for that? Connecting to PC-USB makes it "half-press", so I think CHDK is OK (it does not shot the picture this way, is that OK?). But I cannot get this with the CR2032 battery based cable. I might have mixed up some cables when wiring, but it's unlikely. Did anybody try it according to  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote_Cable   ?

Thanks for the port! :-)  (And now I can get Zebra working too, so ignore my previous comment about that.)

« Reply #166 on: 25 / March / 2012, 15:04:35 »
Last remaining issue for me for now is USB remote. Any ideas for that? Connecting to PC-USB makes it "half-press", so I think CHDK is OK (it does not shot the picture this way, is that OK?).
This says its working properly on the sx150.  Getting a full press is a little tricky - the timing needed depends on how you've setup the USB remote menu options. Take a look at the timing diagram and setup info further down on the wikia page you quoted.

But I cannot get this with the CR2032 battery based cable. I might have mixed up some cables when wiring, but it's unlikely. Did anybody try it according to  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/USB_Remote_Cable   ?
You might need to go to a different battery stack up to get closer to 5V to get enough voltage for the camera to recognize the remote.
« Last Edit: 25 / March / 2012, 15:06:06 by waterwingz »

« Reply #167 on: 27 / March / 2012, 14:53:16 »
You might need to go to a different battery stack up to get closer to 5V

Confirmed. It works with 3x1.5V accu. Thank you!

Why do I need to press the power button so long to turn on? Can I configure that back to normal press? (Again same reason as against Video button: need to take shots fast, and struggling with turning on/off/on/off/oooon - shot missed).  :)

« Reply #168 on: 27 / March / 2012, 16:35:07 »
Why do I need to press the power button so long to turn on?
You mean to turn on in shooting mode ?  Its done that way because CHDK does not know what button was pressed to start the camera ( a short press will usually have cleared by the time CHDK gets control ).  And CHDK has to decide whether to go into shooting or playback mode when it is done but it does not know what was originally requested.   So it defaults to playback mode unless you are still holding down the On/Off button (hence the delay you are seeing).   The decision was made not to default to shooting mode so that the lens did not try to extend when the user was not expecting it.

HTH ..

« Reply #169 on: 27 / April / 2012, 22:46:51 »
hmmmm ....

http://gizmodo.com/5904467/cringe-at-the-ugliest-cameras-ever-made

scroll down to see the sx150 in its glory ...