SX40HS porting thread - page 21 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX40HS porting thread

• 258 Replies

Offline longtalker

• SX40 1.00F
Re: SX40HS porting thread
« Reply #200 on: 11 / October / 2012, 07:56:51 »
Advertisements
Thanks! Looking at the changelog, however, ( http://trac.assembla.com/chdk/log/branches/?action=stop_on_copy&mode=stop_on_copy&rev=1731&stop_rev=&limit=900&verbose=on ) I see that nothing has been added for SX40 for 8 months now, so I assume there's no point updating to the latest CHDK version..

« Reply #201 on: 11 / October / 2012, 08:03:21 »
Thanks! Looking at the changelog, however, ( http://trac.assembla.com/chdk/log/branches/?action=stop_on_copy&mode=stop_on_copy&rev=1731&stop_rev=&limit=900&verbose=on ) I see that nothing has been added for SX40 for 8 months now, so I assume there's no point updating to the latest CHDK version..

Nothing specific to the 1.1.0 release except common bug fixes.  There are several new features in the 1.2.0 common code though.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline longtalker

• SX40 1.00F
« Reply #202 on: 11 / October / 2012, 10:15:46 »
Is there a changelog for the development (1.2.0) versions? The link that I had seemed to be for the stable (1.1.0) versions

« Reply #203 on: 11 / October / 2012, 10:48:21 »
Is there a changelog for the development (1.2.0) versions?
No.  But the biggest changes are all on the UI - most of which are discussed here : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=8151

Offline longtalker

• SX40 1.00F
« Reply #204 on: 11 / October / 2012, 10:58:34 »
Thanks for your help. I have to say that this project - and the people behind it keeping it going - are truly amazing and praiseworthy.

« Reply #205 on: 15 / October / 2012, 07:19:54 »
Hi,

I've played around with this latest firmware and I have a few question I'm not sure can be tackled.

* I take a picture using standard auto setting with normal firmware and with CHDK, then somethimes the CHDK image turns out darker then the standard firmware image. Especially when there is a very bright part in the image. Does CHDK change parameters in the auto mode?

* When booting into CHDK you first start in image preview mode, not in the mode you can take pictures. This realy slows you down when you want to take a fast picture (and it's not a super fast device to start with) Can I change this?

* The firmware crashes quite regularly, I usually start the camera, take a few pictures, turn it off, start it again 2 minutes later etc etc. So it's not running long ever, and I'm not always doing the same thing to trigger a crash. Should I try to provide error logs, or only when I know exactly what triggered it?

« Reply #206 on: 15 / October / 2012, 08:18:31 »
* I take a picture using standard auto setting with normal firmware and with CHDK, then somethimes the CHDK image turns out darker then the standard firmware image. Especially when there is a very bright part in the image. Does CHDK change parameters in the auto mode?
Yes - if you've enable CHDK overrides (such as shutter or ISO) then they will change the photo in "Auto" mode.

* When booting into CHDK you first start in image preview mode, not in the mode you can take pictures. This realy slows you down when you want to take a fast picture (and it's not a super fast device to start with) Can I change this?
Start the camera by holding down the On/Off switch until you start to hear the len extend (typically about 1 to 2 seconds).

* The firmware crashes quite regularly, I usually start the camera, take a few pictures, turn it off, start it again 2 minutes later etc etc. So it's not running long ever, and I'm not always doing the same thing to trigger a crash. Should I try to provide error logs, or only when I know exactly what triggered it?
Error logs as are good start - know what you were doing at the time will also be helpful of course.

Offline dvip

« Reply #207 on: 29 / October / 2012, 10:59:13 »
Just got the sx40 (100i-1.1.0). I have some questions about the camera.
Is there a way to use chdk to create a permanent folder for
images? The camera creates a different folder every month :( It
makes it hard to use a batch file to get the files from the card
since the folder keeps changing names.

Also, I have tried to open the DNGs in Rawtherapee (I am not
sure if dcraw supports the sx40) and I am not sure about what
values to use for cropping the DNG to make it match the JPG size and
correct barrel distortion. Is there a PP3 that does that? Any tips would be appreciated.

Will chdk iso 80 work? The camera starts at iso 100.

So far chdk is working fine, I am happy with it :)

« Last Edit: 30 / October / 2012, 23:32:07 by dvip »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #208 on: 01 / November / 2012, 22:56:28 »
Just got the sx40 (100i-1.1.0). I have some questions about the camera.
Is there a way to use chdk to create a permanent folder for
images? The camera creates a different folder every month :( It
makes it hard to use a batch file to get the files from the card
since the folder keeps changing names.
CHDK can't change where the Canon firmware writes it's own files.

Will chdk iso 80 work? The camera starts at iso 100.
In general, CHDK ISO overrides don't give you more range than available from the Canon firmware.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline dvip

« Reply #209 on: 04 / November / 2012, 18:13:27 »
>CHDK can't change where the Canon firmware writes it's own files.

That's too bad. I'm trying to get a batch file to do the job of
getting jpgs, dngs and videos from the card and sort them to
different folders in my hard drive. With the A590is it was easy,
but the sx40hs changes folders every month and the batch file
is not good after a while.

>In general, CHDK ISO overrides don't give you more range
>than available from the Canon firmware.

Yep, I didn't see any changes using the A590is. I was hoping to
get iso 80 with the sx40hs :(

Thanks anyway, reyalp.