How to swap partitions back (SDM) - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

How to swap partitions back (SDM)

• 14 Replies
How to swap partitions back (SDM)
« on: 28 / October / 2011, 12:21:23 »
Advertisements
Hi all,

have been trawling boards for hours trying to solve this one- probably really simple- I'm using SDM and swapped partitions in camera menu before taking the cards out to put into a card reader. My question is- how do I swap the partitions back so that the camera sees SDM again on boot up? I can't seem to find an option of this in SDM installer or Minitool partition Wizard which are the programs which seem to be mentioned in relation this operation- I must be missing something.

Cheers JG

Re: How to swap partitions back (SDM)
« Reply #1 on: 28 / October / 2011, 13:30:33 »
have been trawling boards for hours trying to solve this one- probably really simple- I'm using SDM and swapped partitions in camera menu before taking the cards out to put into a card reader. My question is- how do I swap the partitions back so that the camera sees SDM again on boot up? I can't seem to find an option of this in SDM installer or Minitool partition Wizard which are the programs which seem to be mentioned in relation this operation-
I don't use SDM but I believe the SDMINSTE.EXE program lets you swap partitions from your PC.  Details here : http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/quick.htm

The way to do it in CHDK is to boot CHDK in "firmware update" mode and use the CHDK menu option to "Swap Partitions".   Then you can go back to the "SD Card Lock" booting method if you like.
« Last Edit: 28 / October / 2011, 13:32:36 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #2 on: 29 / October / 2011, 19:57:23 »
...I'm using SDM and swapped partitions in camera menu before taking the cards out to put into a card reader...how do I swap the partitions back so that the camera sees SDM again on boot up?...
The majority of folks using CHDK probably setup their SD cards with the 1st partition as a bootable partition (with CHDK files) and put the photos on a 2nd larger partition. The CHDK menu swap option is handy when you get ready to offload your photos & movies. You just need to swap back to the original bootable partition before re-inserting in your camera to reboot - usually done on the PC using the SDMINSTE.EXE mentioned by @waterwingz.

What do you do if the computer you're using doesn't have SDMINSTE.EXE or the ability to swap back to the bootable partition? Many CHDK users place a copy of SDMINSTE.EXE on both partitions so no matter which partition you are using with the PC you'll be able copy SDMINSTE.EXE to the PC and swap to the bootable partition.

There is also another option with SD cards 8G and smaller. You can setup dual bootable partitions (maximum of 4G per partition). There are several advantages to using dual bootable partitions, but the most important is it won't matter which partition you have selected, the camera will always load CHDK from the SD card. I have multiple SD cards that use both setups, but I probably use the dual bootable partitions setup about 95% of the time.

I created a tutorial in September 2010 that might be of interest - not much has changed except the method for creating the badpixel file. It explains various ways to setup SD Cards for CHDK (including a section on how to setup dual bootable partitions). The tutorial has lots of photos to show what you should see at each step.
http://hotfile.com/dl/104082286/06e667c/Installing_CHDK_on_SD_Cards_(Windows_OS).pdf.html

I suspect that SDM and CHDK use partitions the same way, so in the section of the tutorial where it mentions copying CHDK files, I'd copy the SDM/CHDK files. It should be easy to test on a separate SD card to see what its like. Good luck!

« Reply #3 on: 29 / October / 2011, 21:15:02 »
http://hotfile.com/dl/104082286/06e667c/Installing_CHDK_on_SD_Cards_(Windows_OS).pdf.html
Hmmm .. hotfile.com is even more annoying than dropbox.com. I gave up after the timeout wait and then an impossible to figure out captcha password.

Using box.net is so much nicer for the people who want to download your file(s) if you can set it up that way.

« Last Edit: 29 / October / 2011, 21:41:40 by waterwingz »

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #4 on: 29 / October / 2011, 22:10:19 »
Hmmm .. hotfile.com is even more annoying than dropbox.com. I gave up after the timeout wait and then an impossible to figure out captcha password.

Using box.net is so much nicer for the people who want to download your file(s) if you can set it up that way.
Decided to optimize & reduce the size of the PDF file then packed to a ZIP so that it could attached to this posting...

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #5 on: 29 / October / 2011, 23:09:43 »
Decided to optimize & reduce the size of the PDF file then packed to a ZIP so that it could attached to this posting...
The previous posting contains a PDF that is compatable with all versions of Acrobat up and including 8.0. This attachment was reduced futher in size by limiting compatibility with Acrobat 7.0 and later. This should make it easier for those who have difficulty unzipping files.

« Reply #6 on: 29 / October / 2011, 23:46:23 »
very nice - thank you

« Reply #7 on: 30 / October / 2011, 09:16:25 »
If I may suggest something - if you like to swap back partitions directly on camera and have two partitions - one smaller (FAT16/12) and one bigger (FAT32) you have to put PS.FI2 file at least on the bigger one. This way, when you swapped partitions you can always run CHDK using firmware update. After that you can use 'swap partitions' from CHDK menu.

With this solution you don't have to install any program on a computer you are using at the moment.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #8 on: 30 / October / 2011, 09:37:09 »
you have to put PS.FI2 file at least on the bigger one.

OK for CHDK, not supported by SDM.

Offline achillies

• SX130IS
« Reply #9 on: 30 / October / 2011, 11:49:09 »
For SDM you will simply need diskboot.bin on both partitions (and both must be bootable).  That way regardless of which partition you boot to, SDM will still boot and you can swap back to the other parition. The same applies to CHDK, obviously with different files included (fi2, etc).

I have used SDM on one partition and CHDK on the other but would not suggest it for much more than testing.

**EDIT - not necessarily supported by SDM, but it does work.
Don't let the sands of time get in your lunch.