Help ~ making an external power adaptor - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Help ~ making an external power adaptor

• 13 Replies
Help ~ making an external power adaptor
« on: 15 / November / 2011, 17:09:55 »
Advertisements
So I'll be going to radio shack in 2 days. Here's what I've got.
A cellphone power adaptor 5V @ .6A
A old desktop power supply (I've tried so much to get it to work)

I will be buying the little DC jack connector for my camera (SX130is) On thursday.
So what else do I need to get this to work? I have little blue resistors that I found a combo that brings the cellphone adaptor to 3.4V but making wooden fake batterys doesen't work (I'm using an old camera to test if it will turn on or not) Do I need more amperage?

Ok, I just used a different PSU that doesen't need a load to start up.
Running my camera off the 3V rail with 20 available amps.
« Last Edit: 15 / November / 2011, 21:04:21 by marsrover »
~ooooooo what does this button do? ~ NOOO DEEDEE ~ *le explosion

Re: Help ~ making an external power adaptor
« Reply #1 on: 15 / November / 2011, 21:27:29 »
Well, if it works that is fine but 20A is a LOT more than you need.

I would think one or two amp at that low voltage.

« Reply #2 on: 15 / November / 2011, 21:29:38 »
Well the camera only takes as much amps as it needs right? So such a large saftey net shoulden't be a problem. (I've been known to be very wrong about stuff like this though)
It's just what I have on hand right now. If you think the extra amps will hurt the cam, I'll stop using it.

« Reply #3 on: 15 / November / 2011, 21:37:22 »
So I'll be going to radio shack in 2 days. Here's what I've got.
A cellphone power adaptor 5V @ .6A
A old desktop power supply (I've tried so much to get it to work)
I will be buying the little DC jack connector for my camera (SX130is) On thursday.
So you probably paid somewhere around $250 for your sx130.   Why not spend $15 to $40 online and buy a proper power supply ? Google for  Canon ACK800 CA-PS800 Replacement Digital Camera AC Power Adapter.  Yes its fun to create DYI stuff,  but a small mistake with power supplies if you don't really know what you are doing can turn your camera into a "door stop" in a flash (literally).

So what else do I need to get this to work? I have little blue resistors that I found a combo that brings the cellphone adaptor to 3.4V but making wooden fake batterys doesen't work (I'm using an old camera to test if it will turn on or not) Do I need more amperage?
Probably.  0.6 amps is on the low end of the "inrush current" needed when your camera starts up.  Also, the "little blue resistors" will only give you 3.4V with no load connected (or at least with a specific load).  They are not the same thing as a voltage regulator.

Well, if it works that is fine but 20A is a LOT more than you need.
I would think one or two amp at that low voltage.
The power supply could be rated for 1000 amps and it would not matter.  What counts is the output voltage - the camera will only draw the current it needs.  With power supply current,  its the minimum available current that you worry about,  not the maximum.
« Last Edit: 15 / November / 2011, 21:43:05 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #4 on: 15 / November / 2011, 21:41:05 »
Well the camera only takes as much amps as it needs right? So such a large saftey net shoulden't be a problem. (I've been known to be very wrong about stuff like this though)
You are correct - it only takes what it needs.   However, a big power supply capable of putting out 20A at 3.4V will do a nice job of arc welding things together if you accidentally create a short circuit, so be careful.

« Reply #5 on: 15 / November / 2011, 21:52:29 »
You are correct - it only takes what it needs.   However, a big power supply capable of putting out 20A at 3.4V will do a nice job of arc welding things together if you accidentally create a short circuit, so be careful.

I discovered the arc welding part earlier today.  ::)
I will be probebly turning all this into a bench power supply and running the camera off that.
And I did look at the "purchaceable" options first, I just happen to be a broke student.

« Reply #6 on: 15 / November / 2011, 22:04:01 »
And I did look at the "purchaceable" options first, I just happen to be a broke student.
Experimenting is fun - just remember the stakes you are playing for.  If you are careful, you will not fry camera.

« Reply #7 on: 16 / November / 2011, 03:42:57 »
If you are from a 110VAC based country (e.g. USA) I'd not even consider diying it, given the plethora of replacement units available online almost for free. The situation seems to be more complex for people in need of the "world adapter" going from 110-> 230VAC countries. However, even this unit is available on ebay for roughly $15bucks incl. free int. s&h. Search for the magic key word "ACK-800 Equivalent Mains Power AC Adapter" by ABC Products based in the UK. That's basically almost 3x cheaper than original unit in the neck of my woods. They list all the compatible models on their ebay page.
« Last Edit: 16 / November / 2011, 03:50:03 by Canonero »

« Reply #8 on: 16 / November / 2011, 06:53:57 »
The power supply could be rated for 1000 amps and it would not matter.  What counts is the output voltage

Who said it did ?

As a professional Chartered electronics engineer and Fellow of the Institute of Electrical Engineers, I have been aware of that very elementary fact for many decades  :)
« Last Edit: 16 / November / 2011, 09:22:46 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #9 on: 16 / November / 2011, 11:50:50 »
Be aware that the USA, Canada, EU countries and Australia have all released safety bulletins regarding purchasing mains power supplies on eBay.

An electrical audit found that most of the cheap 110 volt power supplies sold on eBay for almost free are fakes prone to catching on fire. Certified power supplies are built from certified fire retardant plastics and carry an electrical certification number.

The advice is to ask for the electrical certification number and verify that the power supply is genuine before purchasing mains electrical equipment from eBay.