A3200IS porting thread - page 5 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A3200IS porting thread

• 127 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: A3200IS porting thread
« Reply #40 on: 15 / July / 2012, 15:31:31 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I made a short test and found the build to be working :)
Thanks. Added to trunk in changeset 1989
Do you happen to know a command in CHDK basic/lua to switch off
the screen? The A3200IS does not offer a way to switch off the display
Aside from waterwingz suggestion, you can also set the display off timeout to something very low. Some cameras also let you assign the display off function to a key in the canon firmware (usually the print button) in which case you can send the key press from script. These display off modes should save a lot more power than just turning off the backlight, since they turn off the sensor hardware too. Of course, turning off the sensor will disable md. You may need to send an extra key press in your script to wake it up when you are ready to shoot too.

Another way to do this is to hook up the video out cable. This disables the display, but doesn't save much power.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #41 on: 15 / July / 2012, 20:20:42 »
Aside from waterwingz suggestion, you can also set the display off timeout to something very low. Some cameras also let you assign the display off function to a key in the canon firmware (usually the print button) in which case you can send the key press from script. These display off modes should save a lot more power than just turning off the backlight, since they turn off the sensor hardware too. Of course, turning off the sensor will disable md. You may need to send an extra key press in your script to wake it up when you are ready to shoot too.

Another way to do this is to hook up the video out cable. This disables the display, but doesn't save much power.
Setting the display timeout to 10secs and using "set_backlight 0" works quite well. But "DISP" does not turn off the display, nor can you configure it from the canon menu.

I also started playing around with TV and AV overrides. TV only gets as high as 1/1600 and AV stops at 8.0...

« Reply #42 on: 15 / July / 2012, 20:24:13 »
But "DISP" does not turn off the display, nor can you configure it from the canon menu.
For Canon cameras, the DISP button only turns off the display if the camera has an optical viewfinder.  Don't ask me why - that's how Canon does it.

I also started playing around with TV and AV overrides. TV only gets as high as 1/1600 and AV stops at 8.0...
Typically the newer A series cameras do not have a variable aperture.   The "f-stop" range is determined only by the zoom position  (as you zoom in, the effective f-stop goes up in value as less light is collected).  The range for your cameras is f2.8 - f5.9 - nothing you do with Av override will change that. SO if you are seeing f8.0 then the values in trunk/platform/a3200/shooting.c are likely not right. A good bug to catch !
« Last Edit: 15 / July / 2012, 20:46:10 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #43 on: 16 / July / 2012, 03:46:02 »
The "f-stop" range is determined only by the zoom position  (as you zoom in, the effective f-stop goes up in value as less light is collected).
And also by the ND filter used by theses cameras !

BTW - maybe solon.luigi just looked at the Canon OSD which will not show the CHDK overrides besides the Canon range  ;)
« Last Edit: 16 / July / 2012, 03:48:18 by fe50 »

« Reply #44 on: 16 / July / 2012, 05:15:06 »
Typically the newer A series cameras do not have a variable aperture.   The "f-stop" range is determined only by the zoom position  (as you zoom in, the effective f-stop goes up in value as less light is collected).  The range for your cameras is f2.8 - f5.9 - nothing you do with Av override will change that. SO if you are seeing f8.0 then the values in trunk/platform/a3200/shooting.c are likely not right. A good bug to catch !

8.0 can also be found as a value in the picture info... So maybe 8.0 is possible?
Any word on faster shutter speeds than 1/1600s?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #45 on: 16 / July / 2012, 12:31:51 »
8.0 can also be found as a value in the picture info... So maybe 8.0 is possible?
The ND filter value is included in the exif "Av".
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #46 on: 17 / July / 2012, 17:25:05 »
Today I tried some more features:

Shooting RAW, bad pixel map generation and DNG works. The camera interestingly has a wider field of view in RAW.
USB remote works.
I modified the UltraIntervalometer script to switch off the display inbetween shooting and set the display timeout to 10secs. Camera wakes up correctly, takes a picture, switches off display after 1sec and goes to sleep after 9 more secs.

I haven't tried the whole video section.
The display sometimes flickers.
I managed to dead-lock the camera some times, haven't found a repeatable way though. Power cycling was enough to get it working again.
TV override stops at 1/1600s.........

« Reply #47 on: 17 / July / 2012, 20:34:03 »
The readme.txt states:

"To enter CHDK <Alt> mode use the FACE button."

It's the "Playback" button...

Offline nafraf

« Reply #48 on: 18 / July / 2012, 04:54:54 »
The readme.txt states:
"To enter CHDK <Alt> mode use the FACE button."
It's the "Playback" button...

Could you test with the version attached?  I activated these options in platform_camera.h:
Code: [Select]
#define CAM_ADJUSTABLE_ALT_BUTTON       1
#define CAM_LOAD_CUSTOM_COLORS          1

EDITOut of date attachments deleted.
« Last Edit: 03 / March / 2013, 09:25:02 by nafraf »

« Reply #49 on: 19 / July / 2012, 10:41:19 »
Adjustable ALT button works...

Custom Colors? What's that?