SX40 help - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX40 help

• 21 Replies
SX40 help
« on: 04 / December / 2011, 12:16:05 »
Advertisements
Hello,
 I am trying to get chdk to work on my sx40.
 I am pretty sure I am doing something wrong but maybe someone can clarify. I started by taking my 16gb card out of my camera and installed it into my card reader on my comp, then I formatted it on my computer, then after downloading various builds from the download page only one of them actually does something.
I forget which one but when I load it or select to run a different fw the regular display screen looks different but that's it. I don't see any other features anywhere and that is not right. As far as I can tell my fw version is: gm1-001. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't see it on the download page..
 I basically took the unzipped files from the build and copied them to my card, popped it into my camera and that was it. I assume that may be where I went wrong.
And yes, I am a newbie so I apologize in advance for my ignorance and thanks for any help.

Re: SX40 help
« Reply #1 on: 04 / December / 2011, 13:05:24 »
You need to know your actual firmware version so start here :

link> Determining the firmware version in your camera.

The sx40 has support for versions 100d, 100f, 100g & 100i.   

You might also want to invest an hour and look at these :

link> CHDK for Dummies
link> CHDK UserGuide April 2009
link> CHDK Installation Guide

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline 051r15

• SX40 HS
« Reply #2 on: 04 / December / 2011, 13:43:13 »
On a Mac, from the wiki:

Open a blank document in TextEdit, then choose save, and save as vers.req , then select the root folder on your memory card from the menu provided.
Important: in the Save drop-down menu, change plain text encoding from Western (Mac OS Roman) to Unicode (UTF-16), and uncheck "if no extension is provided, use .txt" (if you don't see these options then you need to select "Make Plain Text" from the Format menu). Then click on Save.

Windows just open notepad and save a blank file called vers.req to your card.

then turn the camera on with the card inserted, and hold func/set & press display repeatedly until you see something like 1.00f or 1.00d. That will be your firmware version.

« Reply #3 on: 04 / December / 2011, 23:08:48 »
Thanks for your help. I took my time and got it figured out and it is working. My only question now is, how do I get the camera to output RAW images or the raw files? I thought I selected to put raw files in same directory as the jpegs and I still am not seeing them.
Thanks for any advice, Al

« Reply #4 on: 04 / December / 2011, 23:23:10 »
Thanks for your help. I took my time and got it figured out and it is working. My only question now is, how do I get the camera to output RAW images or the raw files? I thought I selected to put raw files in same directory as the jpegs and I still am not seeing them.
Thanks for any advice, Al
You will not see them there unless you look at the SD card on a reader on your PC.  Your camera or the Canon PC software will not see them.

And to head off your next questions once you get to the files,  you really do need to read these :

link> CHDK Forum thread on RAW
link> CHDK Forum Board for RAW
link> CHDK Wiki Page about RAW
link> CHDK Wiki Page about Raw Software
link> How do you fix lens distortion with CHDK RAW files?
link> Decoding CHDK RAW images from a new cameras

« Reply #5 on: 02 / January / 2012, 05:04:38 »
I got my SX40 hs few days ago and want to use CHDK on it.I have successfully used CHDK on my Powershot A590IS thanks for CHDK , its working great.

As being new to digital cameras I have some doubt before using CHDK on  SX40 :

1. Can I use 8/16 GB card (As in newbie section its mentioned that CHDK works on only <4gb)
2. Which class of SD card should I buy class 10 (Up To 20MB/s) is enough for shooting in RAW and high quality video on SX40 HS.
3. How does class of SDHC card affect on image quality.

???
flickr

"Saying a Camera takes Nice Pictures is like Saying a Guitar Plays Nice Melodies"

« Reply #6 on: 02 / January / 2012, 08:25:03 »
1. Can I use 8/16 GB card (As in newbie section its mentioned that CHDK works on only <4gb)
Yes -  cards for your camera can be formatted FAT32 and booted with partitions >4G.
2. Which class of SD card should I buy class 10 (Up To 20MB/s) is enough for shooting in RAW and high quality video on SX40 HS.
The faster the better for video - typically class 6. It does not matter for regular pictures - they just save slightly slower.  Be aware that some "no name brand" SD cards exaggerate their speed rating.
3. How does class of SDHC card affect on image quality.[/b]
Does not affect it at all.

(By the way, although these question were a little different than your other post, please don't post the same question in different forum threads.  The people who can answer you generally watch all new posts from every thread.)

« Reply #7 on: 02 / January / 2012, 08:32:58 »
Thanks waterWingz,

I ordered Transcend, Waiting for it.
flickr

"Saying a Camera takes Nice Pictures is like Saying a Guitar Plays Nice Melodies"

« Reply #8 on: 04 / January / 2012, 23:18:54 »
just installed CHDK on my sx40 its working cool...
I made it bootable.. Is there any way that I can make unbootable without replacing all files  :D :D :xmas
flickr

« Reply #9 on: 04 / January / 2012, 23:23:35 »
just installed CHDK on my sx40 its working cool...
I made it bootable.. Is there any way that I can make unbootable without replacing all files  :D :D :xmas
reformat the card ?   or just don't put the SD card lock switch into the locked position ...