SD card won't boot from partition. CANON Powershot S3 IS - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

SD card won't boot from partition. CANON Powershot S3 IS

• 22 Replies
SD card won't boot from partition. CANON Powershot S3 IS
« on: 08 / December / 2011, 12:51:56 »
Advertisements
My CANON Powershot S3 IS won't boot from the SD card.

I created a partition (FAT16 - 50mb) in a SD card, and copied the main CHDK files in the root folder. Then i made the partition bootable using this commands as described in the wiki:
Code: [Select]
sudo umount /dev/sdc2
echo -n BOOTDISK | sudo dd bs=1 count=8 seek=64 of=/dev/sdc2

I also added a CHDK folder in the "big" partition (my sd card is a 2gb storage device).

Maybe i should set the little partition as "sdc1" instead od "sdc2"? I'm quite experienced with computers, and i'm using Ubuntu 11.04 on these days. So, i managed to make the second partition quite fine, even when the wiki doesn't specify much about it (how much space should it have, by example).

So, turning on the machine i just get a "card locked" message. No new features  ;)

By other hand, if i copy the files in the big partition and then i turn on the machine, then the firmware item appears. But this will not happen if i only have the main files in the bootable partition.

Any clue? I'll try formating the card and making first the little bootable partition. And post the result.   

Re: SD card won't boot from partition. CANON Powershot S3 IS
« Reply #1 on: 08 / December / 2011, 13:07:21 »
Very nice. Removing and creating the partitions agains in the way i mentioned worked. Maybe this should be mentioned in the wiki. I mean, not all linux users will figure this out if not mentioned.

Cheers,
Mayid.

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 08 / December / 2011, 14:31:46 »
I agree that "not all Linux users will figure this out", which is why I wrote LICKS - see http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/licks/licks.html

It's still in alpha and needs more testing, perhaps you could give a try?
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

« Reply #3 on: 08 / December / 2011, 15:53:50 »
Thanks for the reply. Yes, maybe i'll try it. Because right now i figured out that my 2gb partitioned card is not working as expected. See, i just can take 7 raw images... because my Canon is saving the images in the bootable partition!

So, about the wiki info: it says that 2gb memory cards should be partitioned, but it's not clear at least for me if by "making a partition" it means to make really a little partition to copy the bootable files. I ended up with the little bootable partition and the big one (fat16 both) but the camera saving images in the bootable section :O\

zeno: i'll try to give you feedback about the script. By the way, i used "acid" to choose my CHDK and download the right distribution. It's nice to have these ui tools. However, i don¡t think acid downloads more than the two main files (no subfolders).

Kind regards,
Mayid.

By default, cards less than 4GB in size can only be formatted as a single partition
Oh, i see. This is the info that's quite ambiguos in the wiki. I mean here, when it says Case 1. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card#Linux:
« Last Edit: 08 / December / 2011, 15:56:37 by mayid »

« Reply #4 on: 08 / December / 2011, 16:03:11 »
I agree that "not all Linux users will figure this out", which is why I wrote LICKS - see http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/licks/licks.html

It's still in alpha and needs more testing, perhaps you could give a try?

zeno: i'm testing licks. Running this from console, i write my password, and the ui opens:
sudo java -jar licks.jar

However, i can't select the device. Maybe beacuse it's partitioned. But you say licks should alert me about this.

Anyway, in the bottom i read: no sudo permission - can't continue. Why? I do run with sudo, being in the right folder by the way.

« Reply #5 on: 08 / December / 2011, 17:19:19 »
By default, cards less than 4GB in size can only be formatted as a single partition
Oh, i see. This is the info that's quite ambiguos in the wiki. I mean here, when it says Case 1. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card#Linux:
This is wrong. 

Cards 4G in size and smaller that you wish to make bootable (SD Card lock method) can be formatted with either :
  • a single FAT16 partition or
  • with two partitions as FAT16/FAT16 or
  • with two partitions as FAT16/FAT32

8G cards need to be formatted with two partitions  - either FAT16/FAT16 or FAT16/FAT32

Cards larger than 8G cards  need to be formatted with two partitions FAT16/FAT32

Cards used with only the firmware update boot method can be formatted with a single partiion of either FAT16 ( 4G or less ) or FAT 32 (any size).

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #6 on: 08 / December / 2011, 17:38:16 »
Guru Member: Sorry, it's me that toke Zeno's words out of context. :(  I realized that he referred to the software he wrote, no to the cards being converted in bootable devices (for CHDK to launch automatically). He says that Licks just do what it does, but he's not talking about requirements.

Cards used with only the firmware update boot method can be formatted with a single partiion of either FAT16 ( 4G or less ) or FAT 32 (any size).

This is the same concept that confused me in the wiki. I mean, if we are talking about a single partition, actually we are talking about no partition at all. For me (not being amused to partitions), "one partition" reffers to a divided storage device. That's why i made a little partition in my 2gb SD and i got the issue i mentioned.

« Reply #7 on: 08 / December / 2011, 18:48:20 »
For me (not being amused to partitions), "one partition" reffers to a divided storage device.

In fact - no. Device is a device and partition is a partition. For example even when you have only one partition you still have first 512 bytes of your device reserved for MBR (and partition table). So your only-one partition is not exactly the same as device. And that's not the only and maybe not the main difference. You can see it especially on *nix system such as GNU/Linux -  asume you have a pendrive. The whole device will be for egzaple /dev/sdb while its only-one partition will be /dev/sdb1. And both these virtual files have a little bit different content. Especially it would be bad idea do dd partition to a device;)

@mayid
I have the same problem...
« Last Edit: 08 / December / 2011, 18:52:58 by outslider »
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #8 on: 08 / December / 2011, 20:35:55 »
This is the same concept that confused me in the wiki. I mean, if we are talking about a single partition, actually we are talking about no partition at all. For me (not being amused to partitions), "one partition" reffers to a divided storage device. That's why i made a little partition in my 2gb SD and i got the issue i mentioned.
I understand - this is one of those frustrating moment when working in a foreign language.  The same word can have different meaning in different contexts.  This is from http://www.thefreedictionary.com/partition

par·ti·tion  (pär-tshn)

1. a. The act or process of dividing something into parts.
    b. The state of being so divided.

2. a. Something that divides or separates, as a wall dividing one room or cubicle from another.
6. Computer Science A section of storage space on a hard disk.

So it would seem strange that when you create a partition on a hard disk ( i.e. you partition it),  you are creating a single storage area, not dividing a storage area into two parts.

« Last Edit: 08 / December / 2011, 20:46:47 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #9 on: 09 / December / 2011, 04:27:37 »
@mayid
you are the second person to report a problem with LICKS. The "no sudo permission" message appears when LICKS issues an "fdisk -l" command which fails. The normal reason for this is that fdisk requires permission, but there's obviously some other reason. I'll try and build a new versio of LICKS which produces better debugging information.

A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit