Displaying a picture on the display of the camera while shooting - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Displaying a picture on the display of the camera while shooting

• 7 Replies
Displaying a picture on the display of the camera while shooting
« on: 24 / December / 2011, 12:40:08 »
Advertisements
I try to make a script which takes a picture while displaying a specific image on the display or video output of the camera.

What I want is: to connect my camera's hdmi port to a projector and to take a shot of the projected image with the camera itself and when this is finished display the next image and take the next shot. The displayed image should not be the last shot but a chosen one.

Is this possible?

« Last Edit: 25 / December / 2011, 04:56:24 by Nestkast »

Offline reyalp

Re: Displaying a picture on the display of the camera while shooting
« Reply #1 on: 31 / December / 2011, 13:30:14 »
No.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 03 / January / 2012, 06:32:39 »
No.

Thanks.

If it was possible the aim the script was structured light scanning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_light

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 03 / January / 2012, 21:22:33 »
If it was possible the aim the script was structured light scanning. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structured_light
We don't have any way to display an arbitrary image on the camera display while shoot. If what you want to display could be done with the UI overlay, that might be possible. I'm not sure though, because the camera likes to blank the display at the actual moment of shooting, no idea what it does with the HDMI output.

However, I don't see any reason the displayed image has to come directly from the camera. Is there some reason you couldn't drive the projector with another device ?

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #4 on: 03 / January / 2012, 22:22:49 »
We don't have any way to display an arbitrary image on the camera display while shoot. If what you want to display could be done with the UI overlay, that might be possible. I'm not sure though, because the camera likes to blank the display at the actual moment of shooting
The shooting routine blanks the display for a good reason: at least on the low memory cameras (like the A420) the framebuffers, the temporary yuv buffer(s) and the raw buffer tend to overlap more or less, the result would be a garbled display. Unless the display hardware is reprogrammed, but nobody knows how, so no chance for doing it from a script.

« Reply #5 on: 04 / January / 2012, 05:41:06 »
However, I don't see any reason the displayed image has to come directly from the camera. Is there some reason you couldn't drive the projector with another device ?

The displayed image doesn't necercerly have to come from the camera a laptop does also work. But straight from the camera would be the nicest solution.

Four reseons:
-More mobile solution no need for a laptop.
-Timing between displayed image and taken shot is easier.
-Speed.
-When I use a laptop to display the image I must manually go through een sequence of 40 images. I think this can be automated with a motion sensative script.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #6 on: 04 / January / 2012, 22:10:29 »
But straight from the camera would be the nicest solution.
But , you might want to consider alternatives. I'm pretty sure what srsa_4c said applies to most (if not all cameras), I've observed the same thing about display and raw addresses. This

Four reseons:
-More mobile solution no need for a laptop.
-Timing between displayed image and taken shot is easier.
-Speed.
-When I use a laptop to display the image I must manually go through een sequence of 40 images. I think this can be automated with a motion sensative script.
The last 3 could be addressed by controlling both the shooting and image display from the laptop. Using a netbook or other small device should mitigate the first. Shooting and image transfer can be done with the PTP extension http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PTP_Extension

« Reply #7 on: 05 / January / 2012, 12:07:54 »
I agree PTP is a nice solution. Unfortunately my camera the ELPH300HS aka IXUS220HS does not support PTP yet I get an e41 error when I connect the camera to my pc while running chdk.

Thanks for your help.