PowerShot A1100 Sensor Swap??? - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum

PowerShot A1100 Sensor Swap???

• 2 Replies
PowerShot A1100 Sensor Swap???
« on: 27 / December / 2011, 03:25:15 »
Advertisements
Hi, I'm new here. and just wanna say this is a cool place.
Does anyone know if it is possible to take the sensor out of the A1100 and plug in a different sensor for astro or large format ccd possibilities? I know it has the DIGIC 4, which is the same as the 5d Mk2 which has a full frame sensor.

Re: PowerShot A1100 Sensor Swap???
« Reply #1 on: 27 / December / 2011, 09:25:16 »
Does anyone know if it is possible to take the sensor out of the A1100 and plug in a different sensor for astro or large format ccd possibilities? I know it has the DIGIC 4, which is the same as the 5d Mk2 which has a full frame sensor.
Short answer = no.

While some people say that nothing is truly impossible,  its seems extremely unlikely that there is any easy way to do that.  Just because it has the same processor does not mean it has the same interface hardware on the cameras circuit board interfacing the sensor to the processor.  Not to mention all the custom code in the other processor (the DSP) used to process images from the sensor that CHDK has no access too.    In short,  unless Canon provided such a kit,  it will not happen and the likelyhood of them doing that for a low cost P&S camera is pretty close to zero.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Re: PowerShot A1100 Sensor Swap???
« Reply #2 on: 27 / December / 2011, 15:32:35 »
sounds good. It's a bummer, but thanks for the input!