Intervalometer maximum interval - Script Writing - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Intervalometer maximum interval

• 2 Replies
Intervalometer maximum interval
« on: 05 / January / 2012, 15:20:35 »
Advertisements
Hi
I would like to set up a Canon ??? (I'm thinking of buying an A620) with timelapse of one shot every 24 hours to run over 3 months.
It looks like the intervalometer needs the interval stated in minutes and seconds - is 1440 minute interval possible?
Also does anyone know if the camera using its own internal battery will last for 3 months?
I also need the photo to be very close to the subject - I guess I can just use the built in macro that comes with the A620.
In fact what I am actually trying to achieve is daily record of my gas meter reading - so picture quality can be poor (black and white) - but I am hoping I can batch OCR a whole stack of daily jpg files for onward input to a database.
Any help gratefully appreciated - thanks.

Re: Intervalometer maximum interval
« Reply #1 on: 05 / January / 2012, 16:21:12 »
It looks like the intervalometer needs the interval stated in minutes and seconds - is 1440 minute interval possible?
Yes.

Also does anyone know if the camera using its own internal battery will last for 3 months?
Almost certainly not.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

Re: Intervalometer maximum interval
« Reply #2 on: 05 / January / 2012, 23:35:30 »
No chance at all. You will need an external power supply, and/or a mechanism to power the camera on and off. Some people have found that you can keep the power button pressed, and the camera will power on and work correctly when power is applied to the external power plug. You could also just do something with a timer and a servo.

A few old cameras will power on if you apply power to the USB port. Not sure if this applies to the A620.

Even if you set up hardware to power on and off, most NiMH batteries would go flat in 3 months just sitting. You can get "precharged" or "low self discrharge" ones that will hold their charge for that long.
Don't forget what the H stands for.