Required - ALE (Anti Lameness Engine) binaries for windows - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Required - ALE (Anti Lameness Engine) binaries for windows

• 20 Replies

Offline vi

Re: Required - ALE (Anti Lameness Engine) binaries for windows
« Reply #10 on: 09 / June / 2014, 07:43:36 »
Advertisements
im going to take a few shots (5-10) on a fixed tripod and convert it to ppm and then give it a try.
Ale should work even if input pictures are [slightly] misaligned.
And as far as I understand in some mode ("super-resolution" or how is it called?) one needs intentionally [sub-pixel]-misaligned photos to deduce higher resolution picture.

« Reply #11 on: 09 / June / 2014, 07:49:16 »

ok tried it with 5 images - it was hopeless with the full resolution (12mp) and after around 7 minutes when it had not finished even the 2nd  image i pressed ctrl C
then i cropped the image (766 x 987) reconverted the  images to  ppm and tried again, converted  the  result  back to jpg
ive attached one input and result image

i hardly see any difference  - so either my sample input images were not  good candidates for an improvement or we lost too much during converting the image to ppm and back or i did something wrong.

can you suggest a more scientific method of determining if we are gaining information in the final image
( i should be using a resolution chart - but i dont have any - i may try printing one on my printer but i doubt it would serve the purpose)

-- ive observed that not locking the focus between images misaligns the images anyway

« Reply #12 on: 09 / June / 2014, 07:51:29 »
next i am going to resize the input images to 2 of 3 times their original size with nearest neighbour - put them thru ale and see if  there is any improvement towards the (yes so called )  super resolution

« Reply #13 on: 09 / June / 2014, 08:15:07 »
sorry i think attachment failed here  are the first set of  images
last one is the output

« Reply #14 on: 09 / June / 2014, 08:25:07 »

last one is the output
all are cropped images resized to approx twice the size then put thru ale.
what i see is that there is definite decrease in noise, the output file size is around 20% of the input files,
if  there is any improvement in resolution, it doesnt seem significant  or significantly more than what could have been achieved by a simple averaging

Offline vi

« Reply #15 on: 09 / June / 2014, 08:28:53 »

ok tried it with 5 images - it was hopeless with the full resolution (12mp) and after around 7 minutes when it had not finished even the 2nd  image i pressed ctrl C
I sometimes leave ALE running overnight. And x86_64 was actually suggested for overcoming 3GB memory limit imposed by x86_32 version which is also a convern when you try big files with ALE (or other image processing software).

Offline vi

« Reply #16 on: 09 / June / 2014, 08:32:47 »
next i am going to resize the input images to 2 of 3 times their original size with nearest neighbour - put them thru ale and see if  there is any improvement towards the (yes so called )  super resolution
I expect one need to play with options to make ALE do super-resolution. I haven't yet experimented with super-resolution myself. My use case is mostly reducing noise or doing pseudo-HDR.

« Reply #17 on: 09 / June / 2014, 08:50:39 »
I expect one need to play with options to make ALE do super-resolution. I haven't yet experimented with super-resolution myself. My use case is mostly reducing noise or doing pseudo-HDR.

for HDR you should really try tufuse http://www.tawbaware.com/tufuse.htm ive tried it a little and found it works really well though i have concetrated more on focus bracketing rather than exposure bracketing.

regarding super resolution have you any idea what options i must try invoking in ale. ive tried searching the net for sample images processed with ale but seems there is hardly any info nor could i find anything with google  image search

Offline vi

« Reply #18 on: 09 / June / 2014, 09:22:11 »
for HDR you should really try tufuse http://www.tawbaware.com/tufuse.htm ive tried it a little and found it works really well though i have concetrated more on focus bracketing rather than exposure bracketing.
I'll try it (I hope it'll run fine in Wine); currently I use the following ways:

1. Embedded in Hugin;
2. Hugin for aligning, then pfshdrcalibrate and friends;
3. pfsalign + pfshdrcalibrate;
4. ale;
5. Hacky self-coded ImageMagick-based script: https://gist.github.com/vi/5dc94732496f13df0fb0 (expects pre-aligned images);

Offline vi

« Reply #19 on: 09 / June / 2014, 10:27:39 »
regarding super resolution have you any idea what options i must try invoking in ale. ive tried searching the net for sample images processed with ale but seems there is hardly any info nor could i find anything with google  image search
Tried experimenting myself with it a bit:

1. Captured 30x32 little screenshot;
2. Generated 9 derivative pictures ({shaved 0,1 or 2 pixels from top} x {shaved 0,1 or 2 pixels from left}
3. Downscaled them by 40%, then upscaled 300%.

Code: [Select]
for i in {0..2}; do for j in {0..2}; do convert -shave ${i}x$j input.ppm -extent 32x30 -scale 40% -scale 300% in$i$j.ppm; done; done
4. Processed them with ALE;

Code: [Select]
ale in*.ppm ale.ppm
5. Created a "report" picture with 400% upscaled pieces, original image, just-averaged and ALE versions.