A800 Porting Thread - page 9 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A800 Porting Thread

• 277 Replies
Re: A800 Porting Thread
« Reply #80 on: 11 / March / 2012, 12:36:33 »
Advertisements
I just grabbed the latest and greatest CHDK-shell (3.43) and trunk (1724), compiled the a800 100c which is there in the trunk as a beta release, and tested out the setmode.lua script.  Well, the good news is that my camera still boots and seems to function as well as it did before.
Good new.  Unrelated question - if I do a "back port" to get a "stable" version of the A800,  are you willing to test that ?

The bad news is that setmode.lua errors out.  More specifically, I start the script in picture taking mode, it starts spitting out text in the lower left of my camera's screen, and then the screen turns off and as best as I can tell the camera turns off.  Here is what is in setmode.log:
Do most other things seem to work ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #81 on: 11 / March / 2012, 13:40:13 »
I'd be glad to test whatever build you want me to test :)

As for everything else working or not, here's my brief rundown on features I tested:

Live histogram shows: When I set Show Live Histogram to Always it does indeed show a live histogram that seems accurate enough (although I don't know much about histograms.)

Zebra blink shows: When I enable Zebra mode and leave the settings on default and then do a half press with something bright on part of the screen (like my monitor) it does indeed blink in the light area as expected.

Remote works: In Remote Parameters, with Enable Remote selected, Switch Type CA-1, and Control Mode Normal my CA-1 seems to work as expected - focus on half press, take picture on full press.

RAW purple haze: Had it make a badpixel.bin (from the RAW menu options) and after it did its thing and took a couple pictures it showed badpixel.bin created. Bad pixel count: 11218.  I set it to RAW mode (just enabling RAW capture, I didn't enable any of the other options in the RAW menu) and same as before - the picture is fine except that it looks like there is a purple filter on my camera.  I know  philmoz had posted a suggested fix (to try GBRG instead of RGGB) and I might give that a try here in a bit.

Other scripts error out: When I set lua lib test, it shows this on the screen:
Code: [Select]
***STARTED***
:543: open test log fail:
A/llibtst.log: error
PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE
It does not create a log file (which is presumably what 'log fail' is trying to tell me.)
When I try UBTEST.bas I get this on screen:
***STARTED***
test plat 12838 pset 4
sleep/tick test
start 37330 end 37860 dif
key test - set to end
The drawings test seems to do everything it says it will do (like adding two rectangles and adding text) up until "Will print 2000 pixels" and it says "not enough memory"
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2012, 13:45:12 by Qanthelas »

« Reply #82 on: 11 / March / 2012, 14:39:58 »
I'd be glad to test whatever build you want me to test :)
Here's my first attempt to build against the stable branch.  Let me know what it does ?

http://www.box.com/s/ih03t7t08caas8a06u13

Offline reyalp

« Reply #83 on: 11 / March / 2012, 15:23:50 »
I just grabbed the latest and greatest CHDK-shell (3.43) and trunk (1724), compiled the a800 100c which is there in the trunk as a beta release, and tested out the setmode.lua script.
Are you sure you are using the latest setmode.lua script ? The fix for this problem was in the script, not in CHDK.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #84 on: 11 / March / 2012, 15:36:42 »
OK waterwingz, with your build there the camera starts up fine, histogram seems to work, can't get Zebra to show up (which is odd), the UBTEST.bas works fine - I realized that one was a user error, it was trying to get me to press the 'set' button, so I did, and it did its thing and seemed to work fine.  RAW pictures are still purple.  LLIBTEST.LUS still doesn't generate a .log file and it shows this on screen:
***STARTED***
not enough memory
PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE
When I run setmode.lua it doesn't generate a .log file, either, and the part of the message I can still see on the screen is:
mode' from file 'A/CHDK/L
UALIB/capmode.LUA' :┬░┬░cann
ot fopen A/CHDK/LUALIB/ca
pmode.LUA
PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE
and yes, it does say 'fopen' not 'open' on the 3rd line.

« Reply #85 on: 11 / March / 2012, 15:37:11 »
Are you sure you are using the latest setmode.lua script ? The fix for this problem was in the script, not in CHDK.

Shouldn't the latest version of setmode.lua be in the latest trunk?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #86 on: 11 / March / 2012, 15:38:53 »

Shouldn't the latest version of setmode.lua be in the latest trunk?
Yes. What I wanted to be sure of is that you copied the latest script onto your camera, rather than just updating the binaries.

Regarding the "not enough memory" errors, please check "show memory info" in the misc menu. Not having enough free memory would also explain the fopen failures.
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2012, 15:40:49 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #87 on: 11 / March / 2012, 15:49:35 »
OK waterwingz, with your build there the camera starts up fine, histogram seems to work, can't get Zebra to show up (which is odd), the UBTEST.bas works fine - I realized that one was a user error, it was trying to get me to press the 'set' button, so I did, and it did its thing and seemed to work fine.  RAW pictures are still purple.  LLIBTEST.LUS still doesn't generate a .log file and it shows this on screen:.
Thanks Qanthelas - this tells me my "backwards port" is working at least as well as the one in the dev branch that got released yesterday.   I suspect any fixes for the main trunk will also need to be applied to the stable version.  And if I recall corrrectly,  memory space was a potential issue on this lower cost camera.

« Reply #88 on: 11 / March / 2012, 15:51:52 »
Yeah, I was doing a new full .zip copy each time (both my 1724 test and waterwingz's 1.0 test) so it should have the newest scripts.  When I check the Memory Info with waterwingz's build, here is what it shows:
Free Memory: 90752 bytes
CHDK size: 271760 bytes
loaded at: 0x13A700

« Reply #89 on: 11 / March / 2012, 15:53:20 »
I looked at the stubs_entry.S file and there are a couple of interesting things in there :

//NSTUB(GetBatteryTemperature                 ,0xffc45dec) //102        *** != 0x00000000
//NSTUB(SetFileAttributes                     ,0xffc26764) //  6        *** != 0x00000000
//NSTUB(mkdir                                 ,0xffc267f8) //  6 53%    *** != 0xffc267fc

that might be worth fixing.

Free Memory: 90752 bytes  is pretty tight from what I've seen in other ports.  You might have more with the version from the svn as it used modules.

Update 1 :   Also,  when mlands was doing the original port,  I believe he was using

OPT_CHDK_IN_EXMEM=1

There is quite a bit of discussion about that at the start of this thread.  I did not build that way and there are no overrides in the  makefile.inc to cause  it to happen.  Maybe we need to rebuild it that way with this in platform/a800/sub/100c/makefile.inc ?

# Force EXMEM on for a800 - not enough heap to work in low memory
override OPT_EXMEM_MALLOC=1
override OPT_CHDK_IN_EXMEM=1

Update 2 :   rebuilt with the above change and updated here ( http://www.box.com/s/ih03t7t08caas8a06u13 ).

@Qantelas :- give this a try and if it runs,  report the memory again ?
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2012, 17:17:46 by waterwingz »