A800 Porting Thread

• 277 Replies
  • Publish
    Re: A800 Porting Thread
    « Reply #240 on: 20 / May / 2012, 16:55:41 »
    Advertisements
    Do you experience the same when using a script from this thread? I mean manually, not via USB.
    My USB cable is a simple one, just shooting. So I always used camera buttons with no problems. The ptpCamGui the Zoom+/- buttons work fine. The problem just occurs when using the Zoom ruler.

Offline srsa_4c

• Publish
    « Reply #241 on: 20 / May / 2012, 17:24:50 »
    I'll try again :)
    I fully understand your setup. What I wanted to ask is, can you upload a zooming script from that forum thread to your camera, then load and execute it manually (by hand)?

Why am I asking this: as msl said, the slider in ptpCamGui makes the camera use the set_zoom command. The same command appears in waterwingz's scripts. The only difference would be the lack of the USB connection.

Also, you could try to enable miscellaneous stuff -> debug parameters -> show misc. values, and watch the FB (focus busy) and ZB (zoom busy) values.

Offline reyalp

• Publish
    « Reply #242 on: 20 / May / 2012, 18:19:15 »
    Perhaps it is (mis)guided  by some incorrect parameter table;
    There's no such thing in the CHDK code for this. You can look at core/shooting.c shooting_set_zoom and generic/wrappers.c lens_set_zoom_point

The latter has a whole nest of ifdefs and special cases, so it's clear this has been a trouble spot before.

Anyway, there is no motor running and power consumption is greatly increased (the stead state current almost tripled). Some internal component may get very hot (~ 1.25 Watt additional dissipation); if this happens, on other usage, the battery may not provide enough current or a component may be stressed and the camera hangs. Something that may be worth checking.
    This is definitely a very interesting observation, thanks for bringing it up.
    Don't forget what the H stands for.

• Publish
    « Reply #243 on: 20 / May / 2012, 22:43:35 »
    I fully understand your setup. What I wanted to ask is, can you upload a zooming script from that forum thread to your camera, then load and execute it manually (by hand)?
    Just post the script and instructions to load and execute them (or where I can find it) and I will do the tests.

Concrning FB and ZB I observed the same behavior with 3 modes: camera buttons(USB out), Zoom pos ruler, and Step Zoom buttons
      ZB always 0 1 0
      FB most 0 0 0 and sometimes 0 1 0

Notes:
    1) power consumption returns to Normal if Slide Zoom to zero and press Zoom+
    2) Normal power consumption, if I disconnect the USB cable (press play(ALT)) 3 times Zoom camera buttons work fine
        When in abnormal power consumption, Camera zoom buttons behave exactly as the zoom Step buttons after USB disconnected

• Publish
    « Reply #244 on: 21 / May / 2012, 00:46:54 »
    There's no such thing in the CHDK code for this. You can look at core/shooting.c shooting_set_zoom and generic/wrappers.c lens_set_zoom_point

The latter has a whole nest of ifdefs and special cases, so it's clear this has been a trouble spot before.
    Somehow,  I feel like we have been here before without finding a solution : http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7071.0

Offline srsa_4c

• Publish
    « Reply #245 on: 21 / May / 2012, 15:04:07 »
    Just post the script and instructions to load and execute them (or where I can find it) and I will do the tests.

Concrning FB and ZB I observed the same behavior with 3 modes: camera buttons(USB out), Zoom pos ruler, and Step Zoom buttons
      ZB always 0 1 0
      FB most 0 0 0 and sometimes 0 1 0

Notes:
    1) power consumption returns to Normal if Slide Zoom to zero and press Zoom+
    2) Normal power consumption, if I disconnect the USB cable (press play(ALT)) 3 times Zoom camera buttons work fine
        When in abnormal power consumption, Camera zoom buttons behave exactly as the zoom Step buttons after USB disconnected
    information about scripts in general: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Scripts
    scripts for testing set_zoom can be found here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7071.0

FB and ZB mean Focus Busy and Zoom Busy. They are shown as a number: 0 means idle state, 1 means the respective operation is in progress.
    If I read your description correctly, after using that zoom position ruler, ZB stays 1. CHDK expects these flags to reach their idle state in reasonable time, if for example the ZB state doesn't finish, some part of CHDK (and probably the firmware) will hang.
    If this can happen, the firmware function used by set_zoom might be buggy.

• Publish
    « Reply #246 on: 21 / May / 2012, 17:07:27 »

information about scripts in general: http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Scripts
    scripts for testing set_zoom can be found here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7071.0

If I read your description correctly, after using that zoom position ruler, ZB stays 1.

ZB is 0 goes to 1 and returns to 0 (quickly). So, No problems here.
    I will do the tests and report later.

• Publish
    « Reply #247 on: 21 / May / 2012, 19:08:39 »
      autozoom.lua tests results:
        s= 7 (when using camera button I am able to set 5 zoom levels and the script 6)
        r=0 => 4
        Original script maximum almost one cicle and the camera hangs. (on each zoom command ZB e FB Ok)
        The voltage drops 0.25 V.
        If comment the 2 set_zoom(p) in zoomin e zoomout leting the initial set_zoom(0),  I get the same voltage drop. Commenting also the set_zoom(0)  I get no voltage drop. => some problem with set_zoom()

autozoom.bas
      result analogous s=7 6 zoom levels voltage drop and camera eventually hangs. (FB E ZB Ok)

• Publish
    « Reply #248 on: 24 / May / 2012, 01:32:15 »
    I have done some more tests. I have identified that the Voltage drop is associate with the calling of _MoveFocusLensToDistance((short*)&newpos) in wrappers.c in the sequence shooting_set_zoom => shooting_set_focus(dist, SET_NOW) => lens_set_focus_pos(s). So, not calling this function I have seen no Voltage drop. As I don’t know the program logic, what are the implications of not calling shooting_set_focus(dist, SET_NOW) in shooting_set_zoom ? (By the way, not calling lens_set_zoom_point(v); in shooting_set_zoom but calling just shooting_set_focus this voltage problem occurs).
      In lens_set_zoom_point in wrappers.c, adding || defined (CAMERA_a800) similar to the ixus220 (and not making also the call above mentioned)  the zoom scripts worked fine and the camera hangs no more. What shall I do to test if this is a valid modification ?
      I have also recorded 90 second movies with no problems.

• Publish
    « Reply #249 on: 24 / May / 2012, 08:12:30 »
    mlands, you might just be on to something :)  (Sorry haven't done much myself, real life kicking my butt a bit.)  Mind posting your changed files and a compiled full version?