TX1 Firmware dumping - page 3 - Firmware Dumping - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

TX1 Firmware dumping

• 27 Replies
Re: TX1 Firmware dumping
« Reply #20 on: 11 / March / 2008, 08:00:27 »
Advertisements
I'm using Win2k and a 4GB Sandisk Ultra II card formatted as FAT 16.

Maybe it is better to use 2GB or less to be sure card-size does not cause a problem.

Use HDHacker to check offset 0x40 in first sector of the card, the text 'BOOTDISK' should be there.

In that case, it should boot.

David

« Reply #21 on: 11 / March / 2008, 12:03:55 »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #22 on: 11 / March / 2008, 12:22:05 »
I see bootdisk, but the card just locks up the camera immediately.

And what you expect? Visual effects? LEDs blinking? This can not be made without firmware dump.
If contenst of SD card is changed, dumper works. If not - dumper not works. That's all.

« Reply #23 on: 11 / March / 2008, 12:59:36 »
ewavr,

No, not expecting any lightshows...!

I did examine empty.dum after each attempt using diskboot.bin 1 thru 4, but it was still all zeros.

Just unpacked your uDumper.zip and see that it is not uncompiled so I'll start to test the variations later today.

First I want to buy a 1GB SD card to eliminate the possibility that it's the 4GB card that's causing a problem.

Thanks for your continued interest and assistance!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #24 on: 11 / March / 2008, 13:12:22 »
I tried just for fun to get a dump for my sd200 again, had first results on first try with udumper.zip
So I'm looking forward to your dump!

BTW. I used the Canon 16MB I got shipped whith my A710IS for testing purposes.

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #25 on: 11 / March / 2008, 13:23:14 »
And about "power consumption" method:
The current which consumes the processor, depends on an executed command (because different processor blocks will be involved). Change of a current can be measured and used as a output signal of dumper (if LED addresses are unknown). Of course, this current is integrated in the power supply capacitors, and this method is not too fast...

Technical details: small (5-15 Ohms) resistor inserted between power source (external power supply or battery) and camera. Microphone input of sound card connected to resistor (amplitude of signal is 5-10 mV). Sound record parameters is 8000 Hz, 8 bit, mono  :). Transfer speed is 15-20 bytes/sec  :(. After record is finished, in sound editor  is necessary to cut off the beginning and the end of record, save it in RAW (not WAV) format and use dec.exe (sorry, Pascal source) to decode record to binary file (no start-stop bits, blocks, CRCs used - after several hours or record I did not have any error).

Because this method is slow, it can be used with blinker (see file search.c). This dumper finds address of string "LEDDrv" in ROM. After this, we can dump 2-4 kBytes near this string, disassemble it and find all LED addresses. Then we can make dump with usual blinker (this method was used to dump first G7 camera (1.00I)).
« Last Edit: 11 / March / 2008, 13:28:28 by ewavr »

« Reply #26 on: 11 / March / 2008, 14:19:07 »

Unfortunately, I don't have a compiler

GrAnd has made it very easy for us :-  Compiling CHDK under Windows - CHDK Wiki

Put it in a directory with a 'simple' name and make sure you set your PATH environment variable properly.

Then try compiling and report the results.

David

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #27 on: 12 / March / 2008, 11:50:26 »
CHDK Developer.