Need help to start CHDK - cant find version working on my cam - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Need help to start CHDK - cant find version working on my cam

• 10 Replies

Offline MorgothV8

• Canon A2200 HD 1.000C
Need help to start CHDK - cant find version working on my cam
« on: 21 / January / 2012, 10:09:58 »
Advertisements
Hi I'm new to this Forum.
I'm from Polish Polar Station "Hornsund" located on the Far North.
Svalbard archipelago, Spitsbergen Island, Hornsund Fiord.
We have Polar Night now.
I've crashed my old camera (Lumix) in the mountain pass and got new.
New is canon Powershot A2200 HD firmware 1.000C (checked using vers.req as described on forum)
I was trying to make some interesting photos in the polar night, but max exposure time 15s
was a big limit for me. I've searched Google and found CHDK.
I've read one long topic (13 pages) and found that versions 1.00B and 1.00C should work, and 1.00D rather not.
I've tried new2est possible for 1.000C:
-Card lock a2200-1.000C-1.0.0_BETA (DISKBOOT.BIN)
-Manual load a2200-1.000C-0.9.9
I couldn't find manual version for 1.0_BETA in this topic
None of them worked :(

In card lock method I've tried to lock/unlock SD card and nothing happened
In manual method I've tried to found "Firmware update" but it didnt appeared.

I've been waiting for lens "retreat" in [>] mode, waited few seconds, checked
all options in menu, display etc. Tried in AUTO mode and some other than easy.

I've formated card in camera (Format) it is old one partition card 2G
I've formated it under my laptop. (My OS is FreeBSD UNIX 8.2)
UNIX sees card as /dev/da0 with one partition /dev/da0s1 - type is MSDOS/FAT

I've formated card on UNIX, copied files
Mounted as win95 long names, with ms-dos short 8.3 names
Nothing helped, is there any newer version of CHDK for a2200 hd 1.000C which I didnt found?

I didnt want to ask You, I wanted to find it myself but I failed :(
Anny suggestion what is wrong?

I really want to have exposition time 60s and make some photos of Aurora :)
If some of You want, I can paste my gallery from Hornsund here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/106096029885802307405/2Hornsund20112012PolishPolarStation
https://picasaweb.google.com/106096029885802307405/Hornsund20112012PolishPolar34thExpedition

BTW: I'm seismologist, but earlier I've worked as a programmer/software developer.
I'm very familiar with C/C++ - I may help, but photography hacking is totally new for me.

Polish Polar Station "Hornsund" Spitsbergen
Canon A2200 HD 1.000C

Re: Need help to start CHDK - cant find version working on my cam
« Reply #1 on: 21 / January / 2012, 10:48:44 »
In card lock method I've tried to lock/unlock SD card and nothing happened
You might try working with  this  :
link> CHDK Installation on cards
[Update :  sorry - missed the fact you are not running windows. ]

In manual method I've tried to found "Firmware update" but it didnt appeared.
I've been waiting for lens "retreat" in [>] mode, waited few seconds, checked
all options in menu, display etc. Tried in AUTO mode and some other than easy.
Firmware update only appears if you start the camera by pushing the Play [>] button - not the On/Off button.  If you press the On/Off button first you will not see a Firmware Update option in the Canon menus.   You also need the CHDK program file called ps.fi2 on the root of your SD card.

Nothing helped, is there any newer version of CHDK for a2200 hd 1.000C which I didnt found?
Even if there is,  you will have the same problem - not being able to boot is not fixed by loadeing a newer version.

« Last Edit: 21 / January / 2012, 12:42:08 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline zeno

« Reply #2 on: 21 / January / 2012, 12:39:22 »
Morgoth

it may not work on your BSD Unix, but try my LICKS installer (http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/licks/licks.html - written for Linux). If it works it will format the card as FAT16, make it bootable and copy the DISKBOOT.BIN file. All you then have to do is lock the card, put it in the camera and switch on.
A570, S100, Ixus 127
Author of ASSIST, STICK, WASP, ACID, SDMInst, LICKS, WICKS, MacBoot, UBDB, CFGEdit

Offline MorgothV8

• Canon A2200 HD 1.000C
« Reply #3 on: 23 / January / 2012, 03:17:08 »
Hey I've formatted SD as FAT16 - using newfs_msdosfs but it didn't worked.
Camera is quite new (bought in Longyearbyen in December 2012), and if I format card using camera it creates FAT32 - so I think it's not a problem of FAT type 16/32.....
Can somebody send me a link to the newest CHDK for 2200 HD 1.000C, if of course there are newer version that I've already found.
Need to go to fix my snowmobile, so maybe I'll check this page in the evening.... thanks for informations so far anyway.

Canon A2200 HD 1.000C

« Reply #4 on: 23 / January / 2012, 08:51:33 »
Camera is quite new (bought in Longyearbyen in December 2012),
Do you find many such opportunities to time travel ?

and if I format card using camera it creates FAT32 - so I think it's not a problem of FAT type 16/32.....
That may be the problem - the newer cameras can be formatted and boot from FAT32 cards.  You have to change what gets written into the boot block when you go FAT32 vs FAT16.  There is info about that here on the forum somewhere - if I have some time a little later I will look for it for you.

Can somebody send me a link to the newest CHDK for 2200 HD 1.000C, if of course there are newer version that I've already found.
Like I said before,  its unlikely a newer version (if there is one) will correct a booting problem.

Offline MorgothV8

• Canon A2200 HD 1.000C
« Reply #5 on: 23 / January / 2012, 10:00:22 »
Of course I mean December 2011 - my mistake.
And what about this "booting" DISKBOOT.BIN
Do You mean this file is something like bootloader and must be located withing special filesystem blocks.
Something like first sector (MBR) or in special location like IO.SYS in MS-DOS - which is installed not by standard filesystem copy, but transferred using fdisk /mbr or sys c:, or like bootloader stages LILO in MBR/Partition?
Hmm can you tell me more about booting method?
I can transfer any file block by block using dd command on da0 or da0s1, but it will destroy partition table or FAT filesystem on SD and in my opinion will leave card unreadable, another format will create empty FAT32 but remove transferred DISKBOOT.BIN
Anyway FAT16/32 and file DISKBOOT.BIN in filesystem root dont work.
Canon A2200 HD 1.000C

Offline MorgothV8

• Canon A2200 HD 1.000C
« Reply #6 on: 23 / January / 2012, 10:01:04 »
Do You mean this file is something like bootloader and must be located withing special filesystem blocks.
Something like first sector (MBR) or in special location like IO.SYS in MS-DOS - which is installed not by standard filesystem copy, but transferred using fdisk /mbr or sys c:, or like bootloader stages LILO in MBR/Partition?
I can transfer any file block by block using dd command on da0 or da0s1, but it will destroy partition table or FAT filesystem on SD and in my opinion will leave card unreadable, another format will create empty FAT32 but remove transferred DISKBOOT.BIN
Canon A2200 HD 1.000C

« Reply #7 on: 23 / January / 2012, 10:22:10 »
You have made the same post two times  :D

You need to copy DISKBOOT.BIN to the the root folder on the card (e.g. A:/DISKBOOT.BIN), it needs no special filesystem blocks.
Have you an ps.fi2 file on the card? Because the you should be able to manually start chdk (Start camera with [>] button and use menu->firmware update).

If you doesn't have an ps.fi2 file you can try that: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6645.0 but i don't know if it's working on your camera.

Offline srsa_4c

« Reply #8 on: 23 / January / 2012, 10:24:16 »
These links may help:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Bootable_SD_card#The_Simple_Way:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6645.0

The A2200 can boot from FAT32 too, but it doesn't support multiple partitions. The guide on wikia is a bit outdated.
TobiMarg was faster  :)

« Reply #9 on: 23 / January / 2012, 10:32:20 »

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6645.0