Some questions about updating CHDK firmware - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

Some questions about updating CHDK firmware

• 3 Replies
Some questions about updating CHDK firmware
« on: 30 / January / 2012, 08:43:40 »
Advertisements
Hi,

I own a Powershot SX220 HS and two days ago I installed CHDK firmware on it.

1) I spend a lot of time to configure CHDK firmware (especially OSD settings): can I update CHDK firmware without loosing all my settings? Which is the best way to update CHDK firmware?

2) I see that there are a lot of autobuild version of CHDK firmware and change log is very big. Are there also "major" release of CHDK fw? Where I can find them and where I can find change log of "major" version?

3) I tried to find a CHDK "stable" version (no autobuild) for PS SX220 HS but I didn't find it... Is it correct?

Thanks a lot for any answers!

Re: Some questions about updating CHDK firmware
« Reply #1 on: 30 / January / 2012, 09:02:47 »
Well, first think, wheter you really need newer version:) And then if you want to have newer one you can just replace DISKBOOT.BIN and/of PS.FI2 files with their new version. Usually you don't have to replace any other thing.

The only exception is when some things from /CHDK directory are changed.

In all cases you can save (backup) your configuration file - CHDK/CCHDK.CFG and then when you have to replace whole CHDK you can just put this file on SD card again to CHDK directory. This file keeps your whole configuration.

PS. Above is true for CHDK 1.0 release, from autobuild server. If you want to use unstable releases from trunk, which you have to compile on your own there might be more changes in other files (modules) and not whole configuration is kept in CCHDK.CFG file.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #2 on: 30 / January / 2012, 10:20:35 »
Thanks a lot!!!  :)  :)

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 30 / January / 2012, 13:05:29 »
3) I tried to find a CHDK "stable" version (no autobuild) for PS SX220 HS but I didn't find it... Is it correct?
The autobuild is now the "stable" version, such as it is. That doesn't mean that it's finished or bug free: It means that the changes that go into it are backward compatible and considered low risk of breaking existing functionality. This is mostly bug fixes or new ports. Note that the completeness and stability of individual ports varies... some are alpha or beta in the stable release.

There is a separate unstable development version (the "trunk"), which doesn't yet have an autobuild.
Don't forget what the H stands for.