two G9s with diff firmware - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

two G9s with diff firmware

• 5 Replies
two G9s with diff firmware
« on: 30 / January / 2012, 19:03:46 »
Advertisements
i downloaded and installed CHDK last night on my G9 with firmware GM1.00H

simply way cool! thanks!

on the other hand, my other G9 has firmware GM1.00F  the difference then is H and F

i'm wondering what the consequences would be if I used the H-build on the F camera? (or vice-versa)

i also welcome any comments/experiences on flashing the firmware on one or both cameras (i assume that that is possible, but not certain, and i presume there are risks with flashing firmware).

thanks

Re: two G9s with diff firmware
« Reply #1 on: 30 / January / 2012, 19:10:37 »
i'm wondering what the consequences would be if I used the H-build on the F camera? (or vice-versa)
Why not just use the 1.00f version on the 1.00f camera ? 
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 30 / January / 2012, 19:24:46 »
thanks for the reply.  yep, that is the plan, but i might mess up by putting the H card in the F camera.

another related question, once CHDK is loaded upon powerup, can that SD card be removed and replaced with a scripts-only card? or will CHDK no longer function?
« Last Edit: 30 / January / 2012, 19:27:55 by g9-usr-local »

« Reply #3 on: 30 / January / 2012, 19:31:01 »
yep, that is the plan, but i might mess up by putting the H card in the F camera.
There are no guarantees with CHDK but the most likely effect of swapping the cards is that the camera will just sit there and hang.  You will need to remove the battery briefly and put in the correct card to get things back to normal.

another related question, once CHDK is loaded upon powerup, can that SD card be removed and replaced with a scripts-only card? or will CHDK no longer function?
CHDK loads into RAM each time the camera boots.  When you shutdown the camera,  CHDK is gone.  And if you try to pull the card while the camera is running,  I believe it will shut down. FAQ#Q. When I switch off my camera and...

Why do you need a "scripts-only" card ?
« Last Edit: 30 / January / 2012, 19:33:56 by waterwingz »

« Reply #4 on: 30 / January / 2012, 20:21:37 »
ok, thanks!  that gets me a little further.  so i presume then that consequence of using an H card in an F camera might be severe, though unlikely so.  thanks.  I look into upgrading the firmware in one or both cameras so they match.

the G9 does not seem to power off when i remove a card when the camera powered up.  i'll start another thread for that question.

« Reply #5 on: 30 / January / 2012, 20:29:19 »
I look into upgrading the firmware in one or both cameras so they match.
Typically that's not possible unless Canon releases a firmware update file.  Which they almost never do.

the G9 does not seem to power off when i remove a card when the camera powered up.  i'll start another thread for that question.
Well,  at a minimum the current stable code expects to store the current system setup in a CCHDK.CFG file.  Not too sure what happens if you have swapped cards and its not there.   The new dev version uses loadable modules on the card so swapping cards could be fatal.

Still not sure why you want to try that.