• 8 Replies

Offline awh

High-Speed Video Recording...
« on: 05 / February / 2012, 01:37:37 »
Advertisements

Is it possible on the G12?

Re: High-Speed Video Recording...
« Reply #1 on: 05 / February / 2012, 07:46:14 »
Do you mean higher fps? CHDK doesn't support changes in fps (AFAIK).
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline awh

« Reply #2 on: 07 / February / 2012, 01:48:29 »

Yeah, a higher FPS... is that a limitation of CHDK or the camera?

« Reply #3 on: 07 / February / 2012, 02:48:32 »
I believe that this is camera limitation. If it would be very easy to have significantly higher fps, why would Canon not provide this? It would be a nice in a marketing point of view.

This is also CHDK limitation - AFAIK no one had discovered where fps values are stored and can be changed. I think that even if it would be done CHDK wouldn't help much.

I might be wrong, but now this is how the things look like. Whole video encoding (as well as jpg processing) is currently beyond CHDK.
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

Offline Pier

« Reply #4 on: 07 / February / 2012, 06:20:52 »
30 Fps mean 30 frames per 1 second.1 sec = 1000 miliseconds
In 1 frame there are still, or nearly so images.
One Frame is recorded from Canon FW every 33.3 miliseconds, regardless of shutter speed.
On other hand there is a low shutter speed limit.
If Canon FWare make 1 frame for 16.66 miliseconds there will be 60 Fps, but this reguire
double speed processing from Canon FW.
There is a "Key" - the time for 1 frame...
« Last Edit: 07 / February / 2012, 16:22:21 by Pier »

« Reply #5 on: 09 / February / 2012, 21:12:05 »
Why doesn't canon add raw support that would also be a good marketing feature? Why doesn't canon add lua and basic script support that would also be a great marketing feature?

« Reply #6 on: 09 / February / 2012, 21:50:47 »
Why doesn't canon add raw support that would also be a good marketing feature?
Probably because RAW images on all but the most expensive P&S and DSLR cameras would require significant changes to remove lens issues once they are downloaded to the PC.  The general public is happy with JPEG images,  they take less space on the camera's SD card and they look "correct" when printed without any post-processing on the PC.  Unlike RAW images from P&S cameras.

Why doesn't canon add lua and basic script support that would also be a great marketing feature?
I have to assume that their highly paid and talented marketing departments have figured out that very few people would even understand what to do with this feature,  never mind use it.  Not worth the development time and support effort.
« Last Edit: 09 / February / 2012, 21:54:07 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline awh

« Reply #7 on: 29 / September / 2012, 16:12:06 »
In playing with the "Miniature Effect" it allows you to shoot at 6fps / 3fps / 1.5fps so it appears that there is *some* adjustment method to change FPS within the camera.

Offline lapser

« Reply #8 on: 30 / September / 2012, 17:31:34 »
In playing with the "Miniature Effect" it allows you to shoot at 6fps / 3fps / 1.5fps so it appears that there is *some* adjustment method to change FPS within the camera.
The miniature effect makes a nice time lapse except for the blurring involved. My G1X can adjust the position of the blur, but I don't think I can turn it off. That would be a nice feature to add. The blur position must be stored somewhere, so maybe you could set it off screen to disable it.

The G1X is supposed to be able to record 240fps at 640x480. High frame rates like that are beyond the limits of most cameras.

Here's a miniature effect recording I did with the Panasonice Fz150 moving the blur as far as possible, but it's still there:

Can CHDK adjust the exposure of a video while it's recording?
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos