LCD off during intervelometer - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

LCD off during intervelometer

• 9 Replies
LCD off during intervelometer
« on: 28 / June / 2008, 18:40:40 »
Advertisements
I am trying to use the Ultra intervelometer to create a time lapse video and i think i ahve figured out pretty much how to use it, but the LCD screen stays on during the scrit, causing my battery to drain and probably wont be able to capture the 1200 shots that I want. Is there anyway to turn the LCD off while the script is running.

In the Menu I have the disable LCD to ALT and I have the normal power down settings, but the LCD stays on... any ideas?

This is for an SD870/IXUS860

Thanks

Taimoor
« Last Edit: 28 / June / 2008, 18:45:51 by taimoor »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: LCD off during intervelometer
« Reply #1 on: 28 / June / 2008, 18:53:22 »
Hi Taimoor,

plug in the A/V cable (or something else), then the LCD turns off.

...You can also insert a plug into the AV jack... the LCD will turn off but motion detection will still work because the camera is updating the viewport in the AV output even though there isn't a TV set connected.

« Reply #2 on: 28 / June / 2008, 19:28:05 »
great idea.. i will give it a shot...

but there HAS to be a better way... dont want to have to carry the a/v cable everywhere.. cant i invoke it via the script or basic camera functions

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #3 on: 28 / June / 2008, 20:49:52 »
... dont want to have to carry the a/v cable everywhere..

You'll need no cable, just plug something in, there's only a mechanical interrupter switch like on e.g. earphone jack.
A connector (without cable) works also as e.g. a piece of wood or the front part of a shoelace...
Some pics for this "hardware mods"  :haha you'll find here

« Reply #4 on: 08 / May / 2012, 10:43:11 »
my camera doesnt have a headphone jack for the a/v output, its a mini USB.  does it work the same?

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #5 on: 08 / May / 2012, 11:12:29 »
my camera doesnt have a headphone jack for the a/v output, its a mini USB.  does it work the same?

No, the mini USB A/V part  works only with an active connection. You can disable the LCD backlight with a script command (set_backlight).

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

« Reply #6 on: 08 / May / 2012, 11:22:08 »
SX130 has mini USB based A/V and the backlight is turned off when I plug the cable in. Doesn't have to be plugged to the monitor or any other device, just the camera and the cable itself.

Althought set_backlight seems to be more convenient than mess with cables :)
if (2*b || !2*b) {
    cout<<question
}

Compile error: poor Yorick

« Reply #7 on: 08 / May / 2012, 18:45:04 »
Depending on what forum thread you read,  set_backlight() only turns off the LCD's lamp.  The display still runs and consumes power.  Apparently the "video cable trick" actually turns off the display and saves a lot more power.   At some point, I'm going to rig up an ammeter and test that on my two cameras.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

« Reply #8 on: 09 / May / 2012, 00:12:22 »
Depending on what forum thread you read,  set_backlight() only turns off the LCD's lamp.  The display still runs and consumes power.  Apparently the "video cable trick" actually turns off the display and saves a lot more power.   At some point, I'm going to rig up an ammeter and test that on my two cameras.
IIRC the cable doesn't save much either, since the "video card" on the camera keeps running.

Some measurements here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3872.15 The links are dead but a lot of the info is posted.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #9 on: 09 / May / 2012, 02:11:09 »
Some measurements here http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3872.15 The links are dead but a lot of the info is posted.
...there is a "backup" on the chdk-box, two PDF files named
bugsplatter chdk stuff a590-power.pdf  and
bugsplatter chdk stuff a590-power-2.pdf

* https://www.box.com/s/tscho3m30j/1/55257469/1370873395/1  (box.net/CHDK Others section)