Stereo images with 2 different cameras? - General Chat - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Stereo images with 2 different cameras?

• 4 Replies
Stereo images with 2 different cameras?
« on: 13 / March / 2008, 23:50:27 »
Advertisements
Is it possible to synchronize two different cameras?  I have an SD850 and an S3.   
If I don't use zoom, and I mount the S3 and SD850 with the lens at the same height, can I use them for stereo?  Will the images be framed relatively similar?  Then it is just a matter of getting the shutters to sync.

I've already created a decent stereo rig using Aiptek Pencams, because it is easy to wire their shutters together, and there is no focusing or zooming to worry about.  Of course, the pictures are mediocre at best.

Re: Stereo images with 2 different cameras?
« Reply #1 on: 14 / March / 2008, 11:09:41 »
Impossible to provide an answer without additional information. Traditionally, the best stereo imagery ias created with not just identical, but "matched" lenses. Primarily so that transmission characteristics, chromatic & other abberations are the same and etc.

Shutters were linked mechanically and the most accurate were guillotine.

All this to expose two frames on the same emulsion for exactly the same time with exactly the same transmission chracteristics.

Now to the question of is it possible to use two different cameras for stereo work?

The only way to test the synchronization is to test the synchronization. They either will or they won't.

Of more complexity is "can I use them for stereo?"

Chances are there are significant differences between them. The have different glass, different sensors, possibly different focal lengths at the widest, different software converting the RAW to *.jpg, possibly even different resolutions.

So, will you get two images if they synch? Yes.

Will those images be matched closely enough for stereo? Maybe. Maybe not.

Obviously, you can always put the pair in Photoshop and spend the time to match them for exposure and color balance and image size, but depending on the differences, this could be a significant outlay of time.

Rather than worrying about whether they will synch or not, just put the two of them on a tripod, shoot the same scene with both and see if they will be useful for stereo or not. No one here can answer your questions about framing and whether they will be usable without you trying it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #2 on: 14 / March / 2008, 18:12:42 »
I did try and take a picture with both, with no zoom and at the exact same object.  They look identical, and when I put them in Stereomaker, they frame up nearly exactly and with very little color difference.  Now the question is whether I can make them sync the shutters.

« Reply #3 on: 15 / March / 2008, 03:59:08 »
Then I guess the next step is to load CHDK into each one and try the remote USB function.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

Offline fvdk

• Ixus 70 1.01b / 1.02a & Powershot A590is 1.01b
    • My Flickr photo page
« Reply #4 on: 16 / July / 2008, 16:01:17 »
Sure, use the StereoDatamaker build.

StereoData Maker