SX230 ALT mode cant access - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

SX230 ALT mode cant access

• 9 Replies
SX230 ALT mode cant access
« on: 03 / March / 2012, 11:11:56 »
Advertisements
OK, I've loaded CHDK (v101B) several times. CHDK will load. I can get the live histogram. But when I press Disp + Func Set, I get nothing. Are these not the correct buttons? How long do I need to hold them down? What's the trick???

Re: SX230 ALT mode cant access
« Reply #1 on: 03 / March / 2012, 11:45:49 »
Those are the correct keys.  Did you press then at the same time ?  (not one after the other)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #2 on: 03 / March / 2012, 18:07:00 »
I tried every possible combination of one or the other first or both. Usually I get either the ISO settings (regular Func Set items), a blue screen with a clock in white boxes, or nothing at all.

« Reply #3 on: 04 / March / 2012, 12:57:58 »
Further Information (to whom it may concern)
Canon sx230hs ver1.01b (verified by several methods)
SanDisk SD 1.0G card (this is the one I experiment on)
Dane-Elec SDHC 4G card (came with camera)
Windows 7 on HP desktop with built in SD card reader (seems to work just fine on both cards)

No known malfunctions with any parts of this system. Camera appears to work correctly in normal Canon mode.

Reformatted both disks in camera.
Experimented with loading versions 1.01B & 1.01C (currently on 1G card).
Experimented with loading via CardTricks and unzipping directly onto cards.
CardTricks, while slower, seems to work a bit better because it allows "Make Bootable".

I can get things like percent of Battery Life  and Live Histogram to display because they do not require the ALT menu.

The core problem is getting to the ALT menu. I have tried every combination of buttons that I can think of. When I try to press both the DISP + SET together, it acts like one was pressed first and the second one does not even register.

I have seen some YouTube videos that clearly show pressing one button first, then the second. But these are not for my camera and have different buttons.

What am I missing?

Frankly I am getting frustrated with the whole CHDK experience. This is a bummer because I could really use some of the features. So if any of you could get me to the starting menu, I would be really thankful.
Thank you for your time and consideration.

« Reply #4 on: 04 / March / 2012, 13:02:47 »
Frankly I am getting frustrated with the whole CHDK experience. This is a bummer because I could really use some of the features. So if any of you could get me to the starting menu, I would be really thankful.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Sorry to hear you feel this way.   I don't own the camera so my advice was based on reading the source code.  Maybe somebody with the camera can confirm what I told you.

Offline Lebeau

« Reply #5 on: 04 / March / 2012, 17:23:53 »
I had the same prob. The same time is the same time and you would see <Alt> at the bottom. Then I change <Alt> key to <Play> instead of <Disp>+<Set>.

« Reply #6 on: 04 / March / 2012, 17:35:02 »
I had the same prob. The same time is the same time and you would see <Alt> at the bottom. Then I change <Alt> key to <Play> instead of <Disp>+<Set>.
I think what M. Lebeau is saying is that he got it to work by pressing both buttons at EXACTLY the same time.  Tough to do because its a matter of when the button engages the contact - not when you start pressing it.  I guess some cameras have more trouble with the double press than other - or maybe PEBKAC again ?

Once he go the <ALT> symbol,  he went into the CHDK menus and changed the key used to start <ALT> mode to <PLAY>.

« Reply #7 on: 04 / March / 2012, 22:21:21 »
 :D Good news! I reinstalled CHDK (again), locked the disk, and lucked out to get into the ALT menu. So I reset it to the record button (I use that less than the play back button). Restarted the camera. And now I can get right in there!!!

Thank you for your assistance!

By the way, I am working on HDRs and Panoramas of Old Growth Forests. Since I got the sx230, I have been doing some night photography. Last night I got a test shot of Orion. I have a few of my pre-sx230 photos @ flicker/apfrsscf.

Let the fun begin!

Offline Lebeau

« Reply #8 on: 05 / March / 2012, 12:09:12 »
For sure, you will have fun !

« Reply #9 on: 13 / May / 2012, 06:30:21 »
The <ALT> key on the SX230 is the play button. CHDK has been downloaded   :)