Is it possible to have soft rec-play key shortcut i/o mechanical switch? - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum  

Is it possible to have soft rec-play key shortcut i/o mechanical switch?

• 4 Replies
Advertisements
Hi , everybody,
  I appreciate all the effort of developers of CHDK. I found this site when I am surfing the net to find a problem to my Powershot A590IS' low battery indication coming out very soon. It is another story.

Anyway , I downloaded proper CHDK firmware and trying it for some days.

You migth know that this camera and possibly many others has a mechanical record-play switch. It is used too much between two position which I am afraid that it will cause problem very earlier than the other parts of the machine.

Would it be possible to add some feature to CHDK to use a push button key ( or two key combiantion) on the machine which have  the camera toggled  between record and play modes thus preventing early mechhanical key failure.

Regards

« Last Edit: 10 / March / 2012, 05:02:09 by CanonCOMPACT »

Would it be possible to add some feature to CHDK to use a push button key ( or two key combiantion) on the machine which have  the camera toggled  between record and play modes thus preventing early mechhanical key failure.
It would be relatively easy to modify the code in kbd.c to do that.

Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

As an alternative to waterwingz suggestions, you can do this with a script, using set_record(0) and set_record(1). It wouldn't be terribly convenient for regular usage.

I wouldn't worry about it unless your switch actually starts failing.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

As an alternative to waterwingz suggestions, you can do this with a script, using set_record(0) and set_record(1). It wouldn't be terribly convenient for regular usage.
I suppose you could set the script to automatically run when the camera starts and have it watch one of the keys and use that status to toggle between set_record(0) and set_record(1).   I thought about something like that originally but I am not sure if cameras that have mechanical record-play slide switches (rather than pushbuttons) might check the switch state each scan and set record or play mode as required ( i.e. if you issue the command from a script, the camera might override it the next time it scans the switch)
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline reyalp

I thought about something like that originally but I am not sure if cameras that have mechanical record-play slide switches (rather than pushbuttons) might check the switch state each scan and set record or play mode as required ( i.e. if you issue the command from a script, the camera might override it the next time it scans the switch)
On a540, I've never had a problem with a it getting reverted like this. It appears that the camera only notices the switch changing state, rather than checking the state at intervals.
Don't forget what the H stands for.