SD950 / IXUS960 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum

SD950 / IXUS960

• 13 Replies
SD950 / IXUS960
« on: 14 / March / 2008, 20:16:55 »
Advertisements
Hello.

I just found chdk and naturally wanted to try it out at once :) so i followed the docs in the FAQ, but since i found no build for 960IS i tried some of the other ones, for SD950, but when i had copied the two files to the root of my SD card, and powered on the camera, no firmware upgrade menu entry came.

Anyone that has an idea?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 24 / March / 2008, 11:23:00 by GrAnd »

Re: SD960 CHDK
« Reply #1 on: 21 / March / 2008, 11:50:39 »
hi redeeman,

as the sd960 is a recent model, it seems likely that it uses "dryos", which means a different method is required for using chdk on it (as i found out with my a720). the "firmware upgrade" menu way doesnt work.

you have to make the sd-card "bootable" - i.e make it so that your camera boots from it (n.b. this is different from making it "bootable" from your desktop pc's perspective). have a look here:

FAQ - CHDK Wiki

also follow the link in that (small, 3-line) section. (on that link, you can ignore the bits about "blinking the firmware" - you just need to "make it bootable").

basically, you need to put the "BOOTDISK.BIN" file on the sd-card, make it bootable, and switch the "write-protect" lock on, then turn your camera on with the card inside, and it will boot chdk. (hopefully)

hope that helps. :)

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #2 on: 22 / March / 2008, 07:02:51 »
CHDK version has to match (be tailored to) the camera model and its firmware version, otherwise it won't work.

What is this SD960 anyway? I don't see it at usa.canon.com

« Reply #3 on: 22 / March / 2008, 20:46:58 »
I just found it on google on canon australia:
http://www.canon.com.au/products/cameras/digital_compact_cameras/digitalixus960IS.aspx

i tried doing the booting thing with hexediting my sd card, however i just got black screen. I guess the chdk firmware does need changse to work.

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #4 on: 23 / March / 2008, 05:31:37 »
I guess the chdk firmware does need changse to work.

You probably guessed right, I don't know any cam, which worked with an other CHDK-Version.

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #5 on: 23 / March / 2008, 05:34:48 »
Aah, that's a different story -- it's an IXUS 960, not  SD960 (there's no such model). See, SD... is a US model designation. Physically the same cameras are marketed in Europe and Australia as IXUS... and as IXY Digial... in Japan, with totally uncorrelated model numbers (e.g., IXUS 960 =  SD950 = IXY Digital 2000).

Anyway, there's no CHDK for this model.

« Reply #6 on: 23 / March / 2008, 14:45:22 »
How might i help chdk to get the required information to use this camera? the pages about how to dump firmware seems quite complicated

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #7 on: 24 / March / 2008, 08:59:20 »
How might i help chdk to get the required information to use this camera? the pages about how to dump firmware seems quite complicated

Wiki pages on getting FW dump are quite outdated -- nobody wants to edit Wiki except our feisty sheriff Barney, who is however just physically unable to cope with everything. These days dumps are obtained with purely software methods, please see here and here. You may thus be able to obtain a dump without much difficulty.

Please realize, however, that the actual porting of CHDK to a new camera can only be done by a sufficiently motivated and technically oriented person who has the camera on hand. So, if you are not a stranger to programming, consider doing the job yourself.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #8 on: 24 / March / 2008, 09:19:47 »
who has the camera on hand.
that is not a neccessary requirement. i've seen the devs porting chdk to cams by only having access to the firmware, not the camera itself.

« Reply #9 on: 24 / March / 2008, 09:46:48 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 14:56:55 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye