getting started with chdkptp on ubuntu 12.04 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

getting started with chdkptp on ubuntu 12.04

• 3 Replies
getting started with chdkptp on ubuntu 12.04
« on: 14 / September / 2012, 06:10:57 »
Advertisements
Guys hi,

I've discovered chdk 48 hours ago and am very excited to play with it. Please forgive my questions when they are silly.

I'm running ubuntu 12.04 and want to be able to control my powershot g12 from the command line on the host pc.

The solution that seems natural to me is to use chdkptp client software and write scripts to interact with the camera. I was able to compile chdkptp in command line mode but <list> returns <no matching devices found>.

gphoto2 shows me a list of files on the sd-card of the camera, so i am assuming that the ptp works in general.

when i want to connect the chdkptp client, i first start the camera in the chdk firmware and open one of the menus. Am i supposed to run some server side script on the camera ? I wasn't able to find coherent documentation of this process so would like to request some advice/pointers here.

Kindly advise.

Also, something is find note-worthy is that every time i plug in/out the camera, the dmesg queue shows something generic like:
usb 1-1.3.7.4: USB disconnect, device number 31
[18667.629821] usb 1-1.3.7.4: new high-speed USB device number 32 using ehci_hcd
[18669.479223] usb 1-1.3.7.4: USB disconnect, device number 32
[18998.776883] usb 1-1.3.6: USB disconnect, device number 14
[19002.046469] usb 1-1.3.6: new high-speed USB device number 33 using ehci_hcd

No mentioning to the canon/device name.. perhaps that can be relevant.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Arie

Am i supposed to run

Offline nafraf

Re: getting started with chdkptp on ubuntu 12.04
« Reply #1 on: 14 / September / 2012, 06:29:32 »
Is ubuntu mounting your camera automatically? Did you try to umount it before running chdkptp?

In your camera, usb remote option should be disabled.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #2 on: 15 / September / 2012, 00:16:40 »
when i want to connect the chdkptp client, i first start the camera in the chdk firmware and open one of the menus. Am i supposed to run some server side script on the camera ?
No, you don't need to do anything special on the camera. If chdk is running, then it will recognize the CHDK specific  PTP commands.

What version of chdkptp are you using ? Did you download a binary, or build it form source ? If you downloaded one of the ubuntu binaries I posted in the files area, this is built on 10.04, I have no idea if it should work on other versions.

Building from source is not too hard if you don't care about the gui.

As nafraf says, if another program grabbed the camera, this might be an issue.

I have also encountered a lot of permissions issues on various linux distributions, although in my experience this usually doesn't prevent listing, it just fails when you try to connect. You can try running chdkptp as root.

Note that "USB remote" on the camera has to be OFF to connect with PTP. The USB remote uses the USB +5v to signal the camera without actually establishing a USB connection. If it is enabled, then the camera will not respond to PTP. If gphoto works, then this isn't on, but just in case you switched it trying to get chdkptp to work...

edit:
Oops, I see nafraf mentioned remote too, maybe the extra detail is helpful
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #3 on: 15 / September / 2012, 08:22:17 »
Nafraf, Reyalp,

Both of you guys hit the bull's eye !!
I've been experimenting with my own remote control, so the remote option was indeed enabled.
Thanks for your help.
Once i disable the remote interface, the thing works as a charm !!

Thanks again.
Arie