SX260 HS Porting Thread - page 20 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

SX260 HS Porting Thread

• 642 Replies
1.00c firmware
« Reply #190 on: 07 / May / 2012, 20:28:17 »
Advertisements
I just bought the SX260HS and I'd be willing to beta test CHDK, but it seems they have started shipping newer firmware. If somebody wants to take a look at 1.00c, I uploaded it to: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5iycaytvkijy236

The full info is:-

P-ID:3244 NT D
Firmware Ver GM1.00C (1.0.0.0)
Adj Ver.005.011
Build Mar 19 2012  14:58:20
Mecha Firm Ver, 3.00
MechaDSP Firm Ver. 0.00

I assume it's not worth trying to load the beta version that was based on 1.00b ?

Re: SX260 HS Porting Thread
« Reply #191 on: 07 / May / 2012, 21:57:43 »
@kriktsemaj99

Would you mind saying what city/country you bought the camera?

Why not give CHDK Beta4 a try!?  (See previous posts on preparing SD card)

It is quite simple to try, should only take a couple of minutes and it could work.

Do you have any clue as to the change from 100b to 100c ?

Thanks!

« Reply #192 on: 07 / May / 2012, 22:06:14 »
I should also add, that @StealthTaffer yes, Lightroom can read the DNG, but I do get some messed up DNG files, even LR can't cope with them. One DNG is visible, but has some lines down it. I think these troublesome files might be when the camera hung, but can't be sure.

I'll give bracketing a test in a moment.... (letting the focus and exposure lock first).

Those streaked DNG's are from the crashes, I got them it was always the 'last' shot before/during crash.

I have found that LR v4 seems to be faster & really is better than LR v3.x (I also have LR 3.4), LR 3.4 seems very slow when initialy loading the DNG's, 1st time I thought it hung up & killed it. :)

I use the S100 or S95 for most lens corrections, I also found a sx230 lens profile, seems good but not exact.

Glad to see Bracketing is working! Raw & then Bracketing are those BIG nice new functions from CHDK!

Thanks!

« Reply #193 on: 07 / May / 2012, 22:18:45 »
@StealthTaffer

Thanks for the clarification of the streaks in the PNG. Yes, I do use LR 4. I have a S100 as well. I really like the S100, and really only got the SX260HS for the 20x zoom. If only the S100 had a really good zoom, I'd have been happy with that. Hence the reason I am looking at CHDK for RAW and Bracketing.

I am not sure I am happy with the way bracketing is done, but I'll continue to try it out, and see if I can get used to it.

« Reply #194 on: 07 / May / 2012, 22:40:46 »
Just to clarify, I always did do the half-shutter pre focus, but not until I waited at least 5-10 secs between shots did I not get a crash.

I tried 'not waiting' in between shots but waiting 2-3 secs while doing a pre focus & after a couple or 3 I got a crash, so the '10+ sec wait' between shots is, for me, essential.

I hope this can be fixed some how, please porters!!! :)

I also tried bracketing, setting several diff settings & I too am not getting bracketing, I will have to break out the manual for the correct settings! :)

« Reply #195 on: 07 / May / 2012, 22:45:41 »
Perhaps my SD card speed has something to do with that. I really didn't have to wait, just make sure I did the prefocus.

For Bracketing you have to hold down the shutter, then 1/2 release it and press again, then continue to do that until you have taken all the bracketing photos you want. Based on the settings, if you had 1EV change, and +/- it would take a normal pic for the first, then up 1EV next, -1EV next, then +2 EV, -2 EV, etc, etc. Until you stop.

« Reply #196 on: 07 / May / 2012, 22:46:40 »
Would you mind saying what city/country you bought the camera?

Why not give CHDK Beta4 a try!?  (See previous posts on preparing SD card)
It is quite simple to try, should only take a couple of minutes and it could work.
Do you have any clue as to the change from 100b to 100c ?

I bought it at Best Buy in Montreal, Canada (2 days ago). I've no idea what changed in 1.00c. I'll give Beta 4 a try (probably tomorrow), and let you know what happens.

« Reply #197 on: 07 / May / 2012, 23:21:20 »
I just gave Beta 4 a try with the 1.00c firmware, and it seems to crash the camera without displaying anything (no CHDK logo). I have to remove the battery to be able to restart the camera normally.

Of course I might have done something wrong. I used a small (512MB) CD card formatted FAT, copied all the files to it, used EOScard.exe to make it bootable, then locked the card and put it in the camera. Pressing play at first appeared to do nothing, but in fact it seems it crashed the camera because I have to remove the battery to recover it (simply removing the bootable card is not enough).

If I'm doing that wrong, just let me know the correct instructions.

« Reply #198 on: 07 / May / 2012, 23:27:16 »
@kreksemaj99

You don't need to go the bootable SD route any more. You can just load all the contents of the Beta4 files to the root directory of an SD card formatted by the camera.

Make sure you extract the files to the root of the SD card though, don't copy the zip files. Depending on whether you are using a Mac or Windows the process is a little different on a MAC, as you need to change the hidden controls for downloaded from web, need authority to run... Let us know if you are using a MAC and we can point you in the right direction.

Forgot to add, that if you use the SD card formatted by camera process, then you just need to look for the Firm Update... There's a description of the process in this thread... But can help if you need it.

Online reyalp

« Reply #199 on: 08 / May / 2012, 00:23:22 »
Of course I might have done something wrong. I used a small (512MB) CD card formatted FAT, copied all the files to it, used EOScard.exe to make it bootable, then locked the card and put it in the camera. Pressing play at first appeared to do nothing, but in fact it seems it crashed the camera because I have to remove the battery to recover it (simply removing the bootable card is not enough).
Sounds like you are doing everything right, and your camera firmware version is not compatible with the build you are trying to use. This is not surprising since you are trying to use a 100b build on a 100c camera. This only works if Canons changes were very minor.

If you can make a firmware dump of 100c, that would be the next step. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Obtaining_a_firmware_dump

If you are a programmer and interested in adding support for 100c yourself, see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Adding_support_of_a_new_firmware_version
Don't forget what the H stands for.