SX260 HS Porting Thread - page 21 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

SX260 HS Porting Thread

• 642 Replies

Offline asm1989

• SX720, SX260, SX210 & SX200
Re: SX260 HS Porting Thread
« Reply #200 on: 08 / May / 2012, 01:02:52 »
Advertisements
Thanks for the testing out!

100c will need porting to work,

Regarding raw stuff, you indeed need to wait a while at the end to make it work.
If you press to fast shutter it crashess too.

« Reply #201 on: 08 / May / 2012, 07:25:07 »
If you can make a firmware dump of 100c, that would be the next step.
I did dump the 100c firmware, and you can find it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?5iycaytvkijy236

« Reply #202 on: 08 / May / 2012, 21:32:57 »
CHDK newbie here
Canon Powershot SX260 HS
B version of firmware

I've just come from a Canon IXUS 80IS so, the camera alone has a learning curve for me

---

Confirming similar results to the other guys.
I think I have raw turned off.
Sometimes I can try to take 1 photo, but the camera crashes part way through (screen goes completely black and then powers down with the lens still out - overcome by using the on/off button)

Other times the first photo works (though it goes "brilliant" black for quite a while before showing me what's on screen) and if I do _not_ wait before taking a second shot, it will crash.

Waiting for somewhere between 20-30 seconds after the first shot, though, allowed it to take another shot without crashing.  (This was done with scene mode - night scenery)

I haven't tested to identify the minimum wait required between shots or to confirm if I can take more than one shot.

---

I'm currently trying to work out how to use Intervalometer, which I think is how Time Lapse is achieved with the camera

« Reply #203 on: 08 / May / 2012, 21:42:04 »
I'm currently trying to work out how to use Intervalometer, which I think is how Time Lapse is achieved with the camera
Correct.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #204 on: 08 / May / 2012, 22:28:32 »
*dang* :P  I thought I'd just worked something out that might help.  But I'd missed london.roadhog's latest posts.

So instead I'm confirming london.roadhog's results.
half-shutter -> settle -> full shutter = camera can keep shooting
full press ever and camera crashes

I used P mode and I think raw was turned off.

---

Note that the screen goes black for about 5 seconds after taking a shot.

I haven't tested burst, yet, but night scene was working in earlier tests too.

---

Note:
I suspect some of the Canon menu settings are not saved immediately (possibly not till the camera is shut down).

I had Canon image review set to hold.

I set review to off.  Used CHDK and crashed the camera by doing a full shutter press (unintended)

When I switched the camera back on, review was again set to hold.

I then set it to off and turned the camera off and on.

Now review was set to off.

---

Note:
If review, in the Canon menus, is set to "hold", it will override the intervalometer script.

The script gets to take 1 photo and then, with review set to hold, it takes no more photos.

I turned review to off and now my camera is happily working with the intervalometer script.
Also zooming is ignored/overridden once the Alt button has been pressed.  (This means you just need to set up the zoom for the time lapse before you switch to CHDK mode)
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2012, 01:39:04 by cf2012 »

« Reply #205 on: 08 / May / 2012, 22:36:06 »
Can someone check what I'm doing with intervalometer, to see if I'm testing it right?
I guess you would need to post some details about what you are actually doing before anyone is going to be able to comment ?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #206 on: 08 / May / 2012, 22:55:43 »
Thanks Waterwingz :)

I figured out the problem. 

I've updated my post above.

Intervalometer script was being blocked after taking the first shot by
Canon review: hold

Also, I've noticed the camera takes about 5 - 6 seconds to come back from taking a shot.  I'm using a 30 MB/s SD card, so I don't think card speed is the issue.  I suspect the size is still the default of L.  But I thought taking photos should only be a split second.

I think I have raw turned off but I'd have to check.

(Currently generating photos for a time lapse test)

---

I set time interval to 3 seconds.  Intervalometer still works but, since the camera takes around 5 seconds to process, I'm getting a 5 second time lapse.
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2012, 01:40:33 by cf2012 »

« Reply #207 on: 09 / May / 2012, 01:46:44 »
Reiterating I'm a CHDK newbie

I'm using mode P for intervalometer.  I've "manually" set focus to infinity before I start the time lapse. 
Checking the camera after many photos,  the focus has changed to 1 metre (3 feet) or so.

(Just photographing traffic through voile curtains at the moment.  I think the camera is refocussing on it's own, after the 1st shot)

Do I need to change mode etc or is this something the CHDK development crew would want to know?

---

Also, in M or Scene:Night, with intervalometer, I'm only getting 2 photos taken.  1st when I press the button and second being the 1st lot of automatically taken photos
« Last Edit: 09 / May / 2012, 01:51:08 by cf2012 »

Offline reyalp

« Reply #208 on: 09 / May / 2012, 02:32:45 »
I'm using mode P for intervalometer.
Which intervalometer script are you using ?
I've "manually" set focus to infinity before I start the time lapse. 
Are you using canon firmware manual focus, or the canon "focus at infinity" setting ?
Checking the camera after many photos,  the focus has changed to 1 metre (3 feet) or so.
Do I need to change mode etc or is this something the CHDK development crew would want to know?
If you set focus settings in the Canon firmware, a script that just shoots shouldn't reset them. Of course, the script could send some button press that resets it.
Also, in M or Scene:Night, with intervalometer, I'm only getting 2 photos taken.  1st when I press the button and second being the 1st lot of automatically taken photos
Again, not clear what is happening. You should watch the camera display try to determine what is actually happening. Does the script stop with an error ? Does it keep trying to shoot ? Does the whole camera crash ?
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #209 on: 09 / May / 2012, 13:26:16 »
@cf2012

I too have noticed that it takes some time with a black screen after taking a picture. I did notice with RAW on it was significantly longer than with it off.

I have a feeling that the black screen is while the CHDK software is processing the picture, to work out if it needs to do anything special with the picture.

Intervalometer, I haven't tried as I use a DSLR with that, but with the 5 second delay on the CHDK and SX260 would be pretty much unusable for me unless I was time-lapsing the night sky.

@everyone
Is there anyway to minimise the delay from taking a picture? Can we turn off certain default features to speed things up? Also, is there anyway for CHDK to cope with the fast press of the shutter without the camera locking up? Just curious.