SX260 HS Porting Thread - page 37 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

SX260 HS Porting Thread

• 642 Replies
Re: SX260 HS Porting Thread
« Reply #360 on: 01 / September / 2012, 19:15:33 »
Advertisements
Hello rudi, could you be so kind and put the SX260v1.0.0C firmware sources to the/a trunk (i think someone suggested this even some days before) (or send it to msl so that he can do - I think he is one of who is able to do ;) )?

This would be very very kind. I have asked the developer of the 12 bit curve mode in the german forum post if he/someone could add this functionality to this - and hopefully he will read it (msl, I think you might know him - is CHDKlover still an active programmer? Would he add it? - was a very old post, but some years ago 12 bit curves really worked i think).

However, would be very nice to have SX260 1.0.0 C officially on the list  :) . It's really good working.

1million thanks   :), - Tom -

Offline lapser

« Reply #361 on: 01 / September / 2012, 20:52:34 »
reyalp: you are right, 0xFC690934 should be 0x00690934.
lapser: please try this version in attachment.

Thanks, it works now. Will you post another zip that includes the file for firmware update installation, if possible?

Minor issue is that the Video without time limit parameter is always reset to False, even when Clear videoparams on Start is False.

Thanks again reyalp and nafarf
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

Offline nafraf

« Reply #362 on: 02 / September / 2012, 09:00:35 »
Thanks, it works now. Will you post another zip that includes the file for firmware update installation, if possible?
I can try, I have not done that before.

Minor issue is that the Video without time limit parameter is always reset to False, even when Clear videoparams on Start is False.
This seems to be a bug of CHDK, that is not controlled inside sx260 port.  I checked the code, and it seems that its value is reset in void config_restore(...) function, independing of Clear videoparams on Start value. 
I do not if there is any reason for that. 

Offline lapser

« Reply #363 on: 02 / September / 2012, 11:48:40 »
I can try, I have not done that before.
Don't worry about it then. I don't need the video time limit override for now.

No big deal either, but the CHDK files in your zip aren't up to date. Specifically, propcase.lua doesn't include propcase 5. I assume it will be present in the trunk version.

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #364 on: 02 / September / 2012, 12:25:29 »
This seems to be a bug of CHDK, that is not controlled inside sx260 port.  I checked the code, and it seems that its value is reset in void config_restore(...) function, independing of Clear videoparams on Start value.

This not a bug, this is a feature! It protects the sensor against overheat. The user should use this function consciously.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline lapser

« Reply #365 on: 02 / September / 2012, 12:50:20 »
This not a bug, this is a feature! It protects the sensor against overheat. The user should use this function consciously.
The time limit on the SX260 is 30 minutes. When recording at 720P, you get to 4GB in 20 minutes, or 14 minutes at 1080P. So it's kind of a moot point. But this reminds me that I never did test what happens when your record past the time limit, since it crashed before I got there. I have to set it to 480p or lower bit rate with CHDK to even get to the time limit.

What happens when the sensor overheats? Since the camera can read the sensor temp, I assume it would shut down before it damaged it. I notice you already have a red warning that comes up too. Don't you think it would be OK to take out this somewhat confusing "feature," at least for cameras that can read the sensor temperature?

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #366 on: 02 / September / 2012, 13:57:32 »
What happens when the sensor overheats? Since the camera can read the sensor temp, I assume it would shut down before it damaged it.

Can you guarantee that the camera automatically shuts down?

We have tested this feature with the SX220/230. With lower video quality settings we have reached a recording time of 68 minutes for a 1080p video. Than came the 4GB limit. The sensor temperature was well above 70 °C.

msl
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline lapser

« Reply #367 on: 02 / September / 2012, 14:54:15 »
What happens when the sensor overheats? Since the camera can read the sensor temp, I assume it would shut down before it damaged it.

We have tested this feature with the SX220/230. With lower video quality settings we have reached a recording time of 68 minutes for a 1080p video. Than came the 4GB limit. The sensor temperature was well above 70 °C.
70C sounds normal for cmos temperature without a fan.  It also might not be the actual temperature. I found one reference to a Canon camera shutting down because of heat, and the temp reading was over 170C, which is above the melting point of plastic, so that was probably a RAW temperature. But the camera DID shut down without damage, so I'm "pretty sure" it's safe to not worry about temperatures and leave it to Canon to protect their cameras from heat damage.

Besides, if people want a longer recording without CHDK, they just keep starting the video over and over. I even set a timer to remind myself.

But again, I wouldn't even include a time limit override for HD cameras until you can also override the 4GB limit. No point in it since everyone does HD video now.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1899.0

Offline voyteckst

• SX260HS_100c
Re: Re: SX260 HS Porting Thread
« Reply #368 on: 03 / September / 2012, 14:05:29 »

70C sounds normal for cmos temperature without a fan.  It also might not be the actual temperature. I found one reference to a Canon camera shutting down because of heat, and the temp reading was over 170C, which is above the melting point of plastic, so that was probably a RAW temperature. But the camera DID shut down without damage, so I'm "pretty sure" it's safe to not worry about temperatures and leave it to Canon to protect their cameras from heat damage.

Besides, if people want a longer recording without CHDK, they just keep starting the video over and over. I even set a timer to remind myself.

But again, I wouldn't even include a time limit override for HD cameras until you can also override the 4GB limit. No point in it since everyone does HD video now.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1899.0
Maybe there is possibility to   write script which will start new recording and after certain time/filesize finish and start new one?
Question is how many time will be lost between.

« Reply #369 on: 03 / September / 2012, 14:53:03 »
Maybe there is possibility to   write script which will start new recording and after certain time/filesize finish and start new one?

Like this ?  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16