SX260 HS Porting Thread

• 642 Replies
Re: SX260 HS Porting Thread
« Reply #400 on: 14 / September / 2012, 18:19:55 »
Advertisements
I formatted my 16 Gb SDHC card using this :
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
as suggested earlier.
(Really, I don't understanted why I should use this since I can format the SD CARD in FAT32 either under windows or under linux without any problem, but OK I gave it a try.
btw, any specific  options to be used like allocation size ?)
Recent versions of Windows (Win7) will only format larger cards as exFAT.   You are either using something like WinXP or 16G is not considered a "large" card.   If your Windows will format the card FAT32 then its okay to use that.

Then I rendered the card bootable using EOScard
People sometime have trouble with EOScard.  They don't realize that they have to "click" in the CHDK logo button to actually make the card bootable.   I went to a bit of work to update the description and hopefully correct that :  http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/EOScard.  Can you post a screenshot of EOScard here once you have used it ?

Then I copied the files into the SD CARD.
Did you copy the ZIP file itself or did you unzip the file ?  A screen shot of your sd card directory might help here.

- I locked the SD CARD, loaded it into the camera and turned it on
- Message says 'SDCARD locked' ....fail !
Typically this means the BOOTABLE string is not in the correct place in the boot block (hence the EOScard questios above)  or there is no file called  DISKBOOT.BIN in the root of the SD card.    If its the wrong DISKBOOT.BIN file the camera will typically hang up - you won't get the "card locked message"

Could it be a problem with the SD Card ?
Hardware problems are always possible.  But its usually a PEBKAC problem that causes the failures.

I will copy a Linux install to see whether I can boot on it. If I am able to boot up a linux system on it, It will demonstrate that it's bootable.
You lost me here.  Are you going to try booting a Linux distro on your camera ??  That's not likely to work.  And the steps to make the card bootable are specific to the Canon cameras - they have nothing to do with making the card bootable on a PC.
« Last Edit: 14 / September / 2012, 18:22:04 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #401 on: 14 / September / 2012, 18:46:07 »
Thanks waterwingz ! You make my day !

OK, about the linux boot stuff, i did not meant that I wanted to start a linux system on the camera, I wanted to check whether the SD card can really be bootable, cause I suspected it was the problem. Since I was using EOScard, I thought that it should be bootable, and that maybe the failure to boot was due to a faulted card. Using the sdcard as a media to install a linux system on a computer (and thus booting on it) would proove that booting from the SDcard was feasible, nevermind.
But, you pointed the problem...I was not using EOScard correctly ! I did check the BOOTDISK option and pushed the save button BUT I DID NOT PUSHED THE CHDK LOGO FIRST ! I tought it was just a logo !
Since when you do wrong, the software still indicate 'write successfull', people get confused.
Now it works great !

Thanks again.

I will now play with CHDK at last !

The only time I succeeded to boot on the sdcard (on a 20 mb partition following an old howto based on a dual partition scheme) the card was render bootable under linux using dd !!!

« Reply #402 on: 14 / September / 2012, 19:00:57 »
Thanks waterwingz ! You make my day !
Every now and then I get one right.

But, you pointed the problem...I was not using EOScard correctly ! I did check the BOOTDISK option and pushed the save button BUT I DID NOT PUSHED THE CHDK LOGO FIRST ! I tought it was just a logo !
Since when you do wrong, the software still indicate 'write successfull', people get confused.
Thought so.   Several people claimed to use EOScard but could not get CHDK to boot.  Once I figured out what was wrong I posted the detailed description.  Getting people to actually RTFM is a whole different problem :P

The only time I succeeded to boot on the sdcard (on a 20 mb partition following an old howto based on a dual partition scheme) the card was render bootable under linux using dd !!!
Making a card bootable on a PC involves setting different things in the MBR of the card  - things that a Canon camera does not care about or even look at.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #403 on: 15 / September / 2012, 07:14:16 »
which page? I'm not expert!
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7889.msg90757#msg90757
Try these directions. Start with the first CHDK download link (version b), and if it turns out you have version c, start over and use the second CHDK download link (version c).

Good luck!
Everything works correctly, thanks!

« Reply #404 on: 15 / September / 2012, 07:57:31 »
I'm sorry if I do another question! Here it is: tomorrow i'm buying a new and bigger sd card, but this time it will be 16GB big. How do I have to format it to make it works with chdk for powershot sx260hs? FAT 16 OR FAT 32? And what software do I have to use?

Offline nafraf

« Reply #405 on: 15 / September / 2012, 08:06:18 »
I'm sorry if I do another question! Here it is: tomorrow i'm buying a new and bigger sd card, but this time it will be 16GB big. How do I have to format it to make it works with chdk for powershot sx260hs? FAT 16 OR FAT 32? And what software do I have to use?
If you read some previous posts in this thread you will find an excellent answer... 8)

« Reply #406 on: 15 / September / 2012, 10:24:28 »
If you read some previous posts in this thread you will find an excellent answer... 8)
Oh, come on, there are 28 pages! In which page is it written!
Thank you!

Offline msl

• A720 IS, SX220 HS 1.01a
    • CHDK-DE links
« Reply #407 on: 15 / September / 2012, 10:38:46 »
Oh, come on, there are 28 pages! In which page is it written!
Thank you!

For lazy guys ...
3 pages back!!! http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=7889.msg90757#msg90757
CHDK-DE:  CHDK-DE links

Offline lapser

« Reply #408 on: 15 / September / 2012, 13:26:57 »
You can just put the card in the camera and pick "Format" in the tools menu. It will format as FAT32 and work with CHDK.

If the card is larger than 32GB (i.e. 64GB) then the camera will format it as exFAT, which doesn't work with CHDK. For 64GB cards and larger, you can use this Windows FAT32 format program:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe
EOS-M3_120f / SX50_100b / SX260_101a / G1X_100g / D20_100b
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrLapser/videos

« Reply #409 on: 15 / September / 2012, 17:23:14 »
Thank to everybody!