Recommendations and advice for long construction project - page 2 - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Recommendations and advice for long construction project

• 35 Replies
Re: Recommendations and advice for long construction project
« Reply #10 on: 25 / March / 2012, 16:18:06 »
Advertisements
Microfunguy that looks like it may be usefull

« Reply #11 on: 25 / March / 2012, 16:22:27 »
It is not just useful, it is ideal.
1600 mA is enough for any of the cameras, the available voltages are suitable and it even comes with DC connectors to suit most cameras.

I just ordered two.

« Reply #12 on: 25 / March / 2012, 17:44:50 »
Am I allowed to link here?
By all mean - go ahead.
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #13 on: 25 / March / 2012, 18:00:14 »
It is not just useful, it is ideal.  1600 mA is enough for any of the cameras, the available voltages are suitable and it even comes with DC connectors to suit most cameras.  I just ordered two.
Please let us know how well the voltage regulation works under load ?

« Reply #15 on: 25 / March / 2012, 18:18:09 »
I still need advice on which cameras to buy if there are some Powershot models more suitable for timelapse than others. Plus the possible flickering issues I may encounter by going AV.

Incidentally I also have a GoPro which I initially considered using, but on the GoPro forum they don’t recommend using for timelapse's over an extended period.

« Reply #16 on: 25 / March / 2012, 19:18:51 »
I still need advice on which cameras to buy if there are some Powershot models more suitable for timelapse than others.
Unfortunately,  most of the people who frequent this forum only own one or maybe two cameras.  While there are some who own a lot more, it still does not give anyone a great basis for comparison.

That being said,  I have not seen anyone post anything on this forum about any particular camera being unsuitable for timelapse.

So it probably comes down to non-CHDK related things - like price, image quality, ruggedness, battery life, size etc

Plus the possible flickering issues I may encounter by going AV.
Not sure I understand what the concern is here ?

« Reply #17 on: 25 / March / 2012, 19:25:41 »
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timescience/sets/72157623581979614/
That one has actually be posted here before but its good to see again - sometime searching for stuff on this forum is a bit difficult.

http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=3325.msg47358#msg47358

There are other mentions of "wooden batteries" and while I can't find it right now,  I'm pretty sure there were more pictures posted at one point.

Update :  here's one http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6870.msg73765#msg73765  and here's another http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=6089.msg64166#msg64166
« Last Edit: 25 / March / 2012, 19:28:59 by waterwingz »

« Reply #18 on: 25 / March / 2012, 19:27:08 »
So it probably comes down to non-CHDK related things - like price, image quality, ruggedness, battery life, size etc

Yes, on that basis I would go for the more robust 'A' series such as the A620 (which I have).
They are compatible with the plugs provided with the DC/DC converter.
You obviously do not want, and are not able, to make dummy fittings to adapt external power to some recent cameras.
Image resolution is not an issue because you presumably want no higher resolution than 1,920×1,080.

Your use of 'AV' is slightly puzzling, do you mean automatic exposure (AE) mode ?

On Canon cameras, Av refers to aperture value.
Note that many cameras do not have an aperture, they have a neutral-density filter that swings into position.

How many cameras do you need, where will they be located ?
« Last Edit: 25 / March / 2012, 19:31:24 by Microfunguy »

« Reply #19 on: 25 / March / 2012, 19:52:30 »
Thanks

My time-lapse experience has been limited to using DSLR's locked down on manual exposure, white balance, focus etc, so that exposures do not fluctuate.

With this project, because the exposure is bound to chance (daybreak, fluctuations in brightness throughout the day and nightfall) I will have to shoot in another mode. Presumably Aperture Priority would be best, leaving the shutter sped to fluctuate, but then I am bound to get flickering as the auto exposure goes backwards and forwards. Have I got this right? Or cant you chance the aperture on these Powershot cameras? If not how are you guys producing your videos without huge amounts of flickering. Software can presumably only stop so much?