Scripting Capabilities / Limitations? - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Scripting Capabilities / Limitations?

• 2 Replies

Offline uphid

Scripting Capabilities / Limitations?
« on: 11 / April / 2012, 10:47:51 »
Advertisements
I'm relatively new to scripting CHDK.  I've had success thus far; but I'm not completely versed in what's possible.  I'm using a G12.

Has anyone been able to do either of these two things?

1.  Override the lens retract presets for the camera?  I'm switching between shooting and playback mode frequently; and ideally, I'd like the lens not to move.

2.  Display arbitrary content on the screen.  Basically, use the screen as an image viewer.  As a followup, would this be affected by the current camera mode?  IE:  Could I display an arbitrary image while in shooting mode?

Thanks for any insight.  I certainly appreciate it.

Offline reyalp

Re: Scripting Capabilities / Limitations?
« Reply #1 on: 11 / April / 2012, 22:16:07 »
1.  Override the lens retract presets for the camera?  I'm switching between shooting and playback mode frequently; and ideally, I'd like the lens not to move.
I don't know of any way to control this, if there isn't an option in the canon firmware options for it. You can force it to rectract with the StoreLensForShutDown eventproc. See http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Event_Procedure for more about eventprocs.

2.  Display arbitrary content on the screen.  Basically, use the screen as an image viewer.  As a followup, would this be affected by the current camera mode?  IE:  Could I display an arbitrary image while in shooting mode?
The cameras have two different display systems
1) The viewport (sometimes called live view.) This is the true-color display used for the camera viewfinder and displaying jpegs form the card
2) The bitmap overlay. This is an 8 bit paletted overlay used to display the canon and CHDK UI.

CHDK does not have any functions to modify the viewport display. There are some script functions for drawing on the bitmap, see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Lua/Drawings
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Scripting Capabilities / Limitations?
« Reply #2 on: 12 / April / 2012, 01:39:13 »
When you completely disable power saving from the Canon menu, the camera should not retract the lens...