sx230, unlimited video, 4GB file limit - page 7 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

sx230, unlimited video, 4GB file limit

• 82 Replies
Re: sx230, unlimited video, 4GB file limit
« Reply #60 on: 21 / November / 2012, 14:33:51 »
Advertisements
I originally tried this one and set it to 1 so it would do it in 1 minutes segments but once started it just says "Started" but that's only with the shutter button pressed, then it only takes a photo. It wont work with video record button, also unable to get the screen to turn off by pressing the display button

« Reply #61 on: 21 / November / 2012, 14:46:34 »
Just checked - the A810 is one of those cameras with a separate video button (and we are doing this conversation in the wrong thread I guess).

Anyway,  try this then  (vid2.bas) :
Code: [Select]
@title MultiMovie 2
@param x minutes per file
@default x 10
press "shoot_half" 
sleep 2000
release "shoot_half"
:loop
    print "segment started..."
    press "video"
    sleep 2000
    release "video"
    s=get_tick_count
    do
        sleep 500
    until x<=((get_tick_count-s)/60000 )
    print "segment stopped..."
    press "video"
    sleep 2000
    release "video"
    do
        sleep 100
    until get_movie_status<2
    sleep 1000
goto "loop"
end
« Last Edit: 21 / November / 2012, 15:37:37 by waterwingz »
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

« Reply #62 on: 21 / November / 2012, 15:02:01 »
That starts the first video fine with the shutter button but then wont start the second.

Ok on a longer test it seems to do one minute then miss one and then do the next. Is there anyway around this or is that how it works?
« Last Edit: 21 / November / 2012, 15:08:52 by catterallclarke »

« Reply #63 on: 21 / November / 2012, 15:29:49 »
That starts the first video fine with the shutter button but then wont start the second.

Ok on a longer test it seems to do one minute then miss one and then do the next. Is there anyway around this or is that how it works?
As I understand the "video" button, you press it once to start video and again to stop it.  There is no "pause" function.   Is that right ?

I modified the code posted above slightly but as I don't have a camera with a video  button I can't test it.  Please try it again ?

« Reply #64 on: 21 / November / 2012, 16:16:45 »
Yeh that one is working perfectly with the shutter button as trigger. Thank you so much for your help!

« Reply #65 on: 22 / November / 2013, 10:16:06 »
I guess I could have started a new thread.... but is the only discussion of this I can find, so it seems to make sense to post here so that all pertinent info is contained in this thread.

I have a Powershot S100 that I'm needing to film long videos with....and after googling my brains out, this appears to be THE ONLY workaround I have found.

I'm a newbie here, but I think I have the hang of it....at least for the most part...let me describe where I'm at in this process....

1.  I formatted my 32gb sd card with SDMinste .... everything seemed to work perfectly.... I was able to start my camera and saw the CHDK splash screen at startup...then i could navigate through the menu.... seems fine.

2.  I followed the instructions here.... http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts  ..... and so far I have tried Script 1b and Script 2.... however whenever i try and run both scripts they do the same thing.... they record for however long i have indicated in the menu....and then they stop recording and DO NOT start recording a new 5 minute segment(or however long i specified).

Soooo.... I've pretty much exhausted my ideas here....hopefully somebody might have some thoughts on this....

I suppose when i get home tonight i will also try and run Script 3.....

Thanks in advance.....

Stephen

« Reply #66 on: 22 / November / 2013, 10:59:39 »
2.  I followed the instructions here.... http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Continuous_Video_Scripts  ..... and so far I have tried Script 1b and Script 2.... however whenever i try and run both scripts they do the same thing.... they record for however long i have indicated in the menu....and then they stop recording and DO NOT start recording a new 5 minute segment(or however long i specified).
What do you see on the LCD screen console?  It should print out "segment started.."  when it starts each segment.  Did you see it at the start of the first statement?  Does it appear at regular 5 minute intervals (using your setup as described) even though the camera is not actually recording?

Sometime the hard coded delays in these simple scripts need tweaking.

« Reply #67 on: 22 / November / 2013, 11:49:56 »
Thanks for the quick response Waterwingz.... i will give this a go when i get home today and let you know what i see....

...just some other thoughts here....

1.  Am i loading the script correctly on the camera when i 1st select the "load script from file"(or something similar, doing this by memory)..... and then scroll down to it and then make it it "yellow" by hitting the right curser.... then i back out of the menu by hitting the "menu" button?...... I then start the script by hitting the "shutter " button on top....... record seems to start fine at that point...(although i need to now verify that it says what you mentioned)

2.  I have read something about "permissions" causing issues on here but not exactly sure what the deal is there....is there any chance i need to toggle with something like that?

thanks so much again....

Stephen

« Reply #68 on: 22 / November / 2013, 13:05:50 »
1.  Am i loading the script correctly on the camera when i 1st select the "load script from file"(or something similar, doing this by memory)..... and then scroll down to it and then make it it "yellow" by hitting the right curser.... then i back out of the menu by hitting the "menu" button?...... I then start the script by hitting the "shutter " button on top....... record seems to start fine at that point...(although i need to now verify that it says what you mentioned)
I think you missed the part where you need to press the Func/Set key to actually select the script you want to load.    You don't need to do the  right cursor / yellow hightlight step at all.

If you do it correctly,  the script name will appear on the lower left of the screen when you are in <ALT> mode but not using the CHDK menus

2.  I have read something about "permissions" causing issues on here but not exactly sure what the deal is there....is there any chance i need to toggle with something like that?
Its only an issue if you are using a Mac computer to unzip the CHDK distribution and save it on the SD card.  If CHDK is booting (i.e. you see the logo and can get to the menus) then you do not need to worry about this.

Update :  you also need to still be in <ALT> mode to start a script.  If you press the shutter key when you are not in <ALT> mode then obviously you will either take a picture or start shooting video (depending on what mode the camera is in).
« Last Edit: 22 / November / 2013, 13:20:07 by waterwingz »

« Reply #69 on: 22 / November / 2013, 14:46:41 »
1.  I feel like the script name(i named it "continuous.bas") is at the bottom left when in <alt> mode....i think i did it both ways...1) hit set when after highlighting script... and 2) hit right toggle and made it yellow.....  i will pay attention to this when i get home....

2.  I am using a macbook pro to do all of the sd card formatting...but i used SDMinste, which essentially did all the work.....does that change things?  ,,,and like you said... i get the flash screen, so its at least loading up correctly...

3.  Here is a another thought.... since i have a 2011 camera, should i possibly try and reformat the card and NOT partition and worry about doing the auto boot?  any chance that would clean things up or have an effect?

Thanks so much for the help so soon guys....i just wish i was in front of my camera right now.... I never expected to get these responses so soon....

Stephen